The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well I'm sorry hear about you're sucky life. And hell yes I bet caffine is a million times easier to shake. I still think that if your are smoking you're being stupid, I would call not caring about your health stupid, okay you have an illness but is it really advisable to smoke as well? There is a distinction between acting stupid and being stupid, I doubt that that you are stupid or weak. Doesn't stop smoking in itself being a stupid idea.
Sorry, let me rephrase all that, (I really don't like smoking in general I wish it could just be removed from space-time for the benefit of everyone so I'm quite confrontational about it)

Generalisations never apply to all cases, and in fact I didn't ever say that people are weak or stupid for smoking. From the sounds of it Poste you're probably a lot stronger person than I am. But I think a fair generalisation of smoking is that it's a stupid thing to do if you know the risks.

Anyway this wasn't where this thread was meant to go, so what's best way to give it up. I'll just repeat my suggestion, save the cash you who have spent, then spend it on something big you've wanted as a reward.
Reply 42
spoonofdeath
Well I'm sorry hear about you're sucky life. And hell yes I bet caffine is a million times easier to shake. I still think that if your are smoking you're being stupid, I would call not caring about your health stupid, okay you have an illness but is it really advisable to smoke as well? There is a distinction between acting stupid and being stupid, I doubt that that you are stupid or weak. Doesn't stop smoking in itself being a stupid idea.

My life is great, I've just had more thrown at me in the past than the average 19 year old :smile: If my parents were non-smokers, my friends were non-smokers, I moved in different social circles and my only worries were exam pressures and boyfriend troubles then I probably wouldn't have ever smoked either. But when you have pressures on your life and addiction is so ingrained, the fact that it's a stupid idea is less important. In fact, it makes it worse because you KNOW you're doing something stupid. It's easy for you to preach and say it's stupid, but actually you're lucky that you've had the anti-smoking value ingrained into you.

The two hardest things I've ever done in my life were to recover from depression and give up smoking. Far surpassed getting good A-levels, a place at one of the best unis in the country (and maybe even world), etc etc. Everyone supports you when you're trying to do good things, but when you're trying to recover from bad things then no-one wants to know, really, they just say things like you, that you were stupid to start in the first place. That's no help at all!!
*bows to F.Poste superior wisdom*
[That's my little way of saying I agree with everything in your last post and apolagise for being a moaning little git]

So no one bring up that they think smoking is stupid again in this thread!
If you don't like smoking or smokers go start an anti-smoking thread somewhere :P
Reply 44
spoonofdeath
*bows to F.Poste superior wisdom*

So no one bring up that they think smoking is stupid again in this thread!
If you don't like smoking or smokers go start an anti-smoking thread somewhere :P

*giggles* Too right :biggrin:

I know it sounds like I was having a huge go but I wasn't, promise :smile: I am just of the opinion that an understanding attitude is far more persuasive than a ridiculing one :smile:
Yeah, absolutely right, I'd make an excuse for being an ass, but no one would care, so sorry for being confrontational, really need to learn to think before speaking, oops!
spoonofdeath
But I think a fair generalisation of smoking is that it's a stupid thing to do if you know the risks.

Nah. It's only stupid to do things if you don't know the risks. I weighed up the risks and decided they were worth taking. Smoking has never killed any of my family, so it must just be about luck.
yes but you make your own luck imo....
spoonofdeath
yes but you make your own luck imo....

Tell that to some poor sod who gets squashed by a dog falling out a tenth floor window (it's happened). There's no point running for your life from possibly/maybe.

Latest

Trending

Trending