The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 41
I benefited from some regular failing to bench incline 100 and some kg. I was just doing some EZ curls at the time but my gym is like a small local one, only men go, and most of them are huge and just into bodybuilding and take it really seriously so quite clicky.

Alot are in to underground fighting and martial arts and stuff but I just go as its near, cheap, and has all the free weights I need. The guy failed on his last rep and I could tell it was going to happen so went over and lifted it off him. So now I'm in the click more hahaha, wooop wooop
Reply 42
Canadianized
50 lbs dumbbells in each hand lol

OK KL
Canadianized
50 lbs dumbbells in each hand lol

How do you choke on dumbbells? Surely you would just drop them to the side of your head? Also you said barbell in the first post.
Not so much embarrassing but still red faced:

Was an cross trainer next to an old man who was on the cross trainer beside me. The fool got off it at my side and i smacked him in the back really bad with the handle.... i said 'OOOOOF' really loud ?? haha... im sure he mutterd something tho! Good job i had my earphones in ha!
Saw him wobble out holding his back : (
Reply 45
I was in the changing rooms once and, always being the last out at closing time, suddenly the lights went out, because they hadn't called to see if anyone was still in. I legged it and so didn't actually get locked in, but O__O coulda.. That's happened twice, actually.
They must hate me there, am always the latest :rolleyes: That's quite embarassing in itself..

I haven't done/seen anything else relly embarassing, although have dropped things (only phone etc., though). I did see a guy nearly kill himself (well, potentially, kinda..) because something happened with his weights which I didn't see. That was just scary, though o.O

I always laugh at those young guys who go on the treadmill at high speed for 10/20 seconds at a time. I don't understand it :s-smilie: One of these days they'll do something stupid, I'm sure.
Reply 46
Yasmeenax
I always laugh at those young guys who go on the treadmill at high speed for 10/20 seconds at a time. I don't understand it :s-smilie: One of these days they'll do something stupid, I'm sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
Reply 47
I win already.

One of my hair clips fell out when I was on the treadmill so I turned it off and hopped off to pick it up. When I turned around I managed to trip over my own feet & the treadmill and land on my arse in front of the whole weights room.

**** my life.
Reply 48

Yes yes, I'm fully aware, thankyou :p: However, these guys literally spend no longer than 10 seconds at too high a speed and then go elsewhere. That's not the right way to do it - and I'm pretty sure they're just messing around.
Reply 49
I felled off the treadmill.

2 x.
Reply 50
Yasmeenax
I was in the changing rooms once and, always being the last out at closing time, suddenly the lights went out, because they hadn't called to see if anyone was still in. I legged it and so didn't actually get locked in, but O__O coulda.. That's happened twice, actually.
They must hate me there, am always the latest :rolleyes: That's quite embarassing in itself..

I haven't done/seen anything else relly embarassing, although have dropped things (only phone etc., though). I did see a guy nearly kill himself (well, potentially, kinda..) because something happened with his weights which I didn't see. That was just scary, though o.O

I always think those guy are just gonna go flying off the end, like they are hanging on to the rails and near dying :s-smilie:
I trapped myself under 85kg when I loaded either side up wrong, but I just rolled it down to my stomach, picked it up, put it back, loaded it right and smashed out the reps. Don't even know if anyone noticed.

Had to dump onto the squat rails a couple of times, but not for ages now.

Hit myself in the face with a 35kg DB benching.

Nothing soul-destroying really.
Reply 52
ma2k5
Once, I only hit 7 reps, instead of 8, benching 130kg. I was not amused.

lol legend...thats my max :frown:
Reply 53
Brotherhood
I trapped myself under 85kg when I loaded either side up wrong, but I just rolled it down to my stomach, picked it up, put it back, loaded it right and smashed out the reps. Don't even know if anyone noticed.

Had to dump onto the squat rails a couple of times, but not for ages now.

Hit myself in the face with a 35kg DB benching.

Nothing soul-destroying really.

Loaded it wrong? How so? Too much on 1 side?
Reply 54
Troubled_Student
Not my own experience, but i seen it while i was doing work experience in a gym.
Basically it was a bad storm, like thunder and lightning the full works. So anyway everyones in the gym as normal, and the powers gone out, obviously all the electronic stuff has turned off instantly. Well there was a man literally flat out sprinting on the treadmill, powers gone and he's just flew off the back face into the treadmill machine, then the treadmill belt. He just lay there looking seriously hurt and injured, as well as having lost a huge amount of pride :smile:

Me, my work experience partner and the gym instructor guy we was with just turned round went into this little office, locked the door and laughed. It was possibly the funniest thing i've seen.

Oh, and some asian men throwing medicine balls at each others chest to "strengthen the abs" I watched in awe as they did it, like repeatedly going from 2kg balls to i think it was 10 or 15kg. Anyway after having these medicine balls going from 2kg-10kg thrown at his chest while he was laying on the floor - i'd say they done each medicine ball, 2-4 times - He got back up and didn't look good :smile: Next time his friend came in, he told us the guy had cracked 4ribs and bruised another two :smile:

lol seriously hurt and injured...hilarious! :s-smilie:
mipegg
Loaded it wrong? How so? Too much on 1 side?

Pretty much.
Reply 56
I did 5 sets of a cable exercise the wrong way round after being told about it by a friend over the phone. My neck kept being almost strangled by the cable every rep but I persevered. By the time I had finished, I had half of the gym looking at me at which point I gathered I was doing it wrong.
I kept getting stared at by this weird woman who had enough armpit hair to stuff a mattress with and it seemed that wherever I was, she was...
More awkward than embarrassing really
Reply 58
I used to work in a gym and spent ages one day after a workout having a serious talk with my (male) manager. Wasn't til I got home that I noticed the G-string shaped sweat patch on my arse... nice...
Found it hard to look him in the eye after that one.

Also, one time I was cleaning the treadmills when I accidentally pressed start. I hadn't been working there long and didn't actually know how to turn it off so had to just jog along with it and ask the guy next to me to switch it off! Luckily it wasn't going too fast... haha.

Gyms are dangerous places...
Nothing embarrasing happened when i used to go, but there was one kinda funny thing.

was in my school gym, we are always meant to be supervised but we werent for this session.

Me and a friend put a medicine ball on the tredmill and it flew of the end(as youd expect having no legs and all that) but the backspin sent it back and it got caught on the front lip of the belt and went flying underneath and came crashing up through the plastic at the back of the tredmill which the turned itself off. Thankfully putting the plastic back in place and turning the machine off and on got it started again.

Latest