The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

you're within your own right to state your opinion, and from my point of view saying that you dont agree with gay marriage is slightly homophobic as it means you dont think that gay people should be given the same rights as straight people. i dont think this makes you a bad person, we all have different opinions eh?
Reply 81
the police will come knocking shortly.
Reply 82
Newsweek
To a certain extent, it doesn't really matter if you're homophobic as long as you respect the right of gay people to enjoy the same rights as everyone else. We live in a liberal society and people should be allowed to hold whatever views they desire, even if it's racist or homophobic.

For example, you personally disagree with gay marriage but you recognise that it's wrong to deny gay people equal rights. That's very sensible, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with this.
Reply 83
Flying Cookie
You said you didn't agree with gay marriage. That is not homophobic, but the reasons behind it probably are.

This.
Reply 84
sugarjunkie001
you're within your own right to state your opinion, and from my point of view saying that you dont agree with gay marriage is slightly homophobic as it means you dont think that gay people should be given the same rights as straight people. i dont think this makes you a bad person, we all have different opinions eh?

I agree with the part that the OP is within his rights to say what he wants, but saying Gay marriage is wrong is not homophobic...never has been...
I agree with the part that the OP is within his rights to say what he wants, but saying Gay marriage is wrong is not homophobic...never has been...

yeh i suppose so, i'm just very touchy on the subject. not sure why seeing as i'm a straight girl, but it just upsets me when people 'disagree' with something that doesnt effect them. but like i said, he's entitled to his own opinions and i wont judge him for it...!
Reply 86
4G_dollars
saying Gay marriage is wrong is not homophobic...never has been...

That depends. If you're referring to civil marriages, then that clearly is homophobic because you're saying that the law ought to treat people differently on the basis of their sexual orientation. If, on the other hand, you see marriage as a religious thing, then that's somewhat different.
Reply 87
Flying Cookie
You said you didn't agree with gay marriage. That is not homophobic, but the reasons behind it probably are.

This.
Reply 88
Newsweek
That depends. If you're referring to civil marriages, then that clearly is homophobic because you're saying that the law ought to treat people differently on the basis of their sexual orientation. If, on the other hand, you see marriage as a religious thing, then that's somewhat different.

Civil marriages as far as I am aware, is done within registry office, clearly that has no religious significance.
The latter, marriage in the church etc..is seen as a religious thing therefore not homophobic...

What I am saying is that it is not homophobic to say that...Because we should be able to say what we want, without fear, in this case of the OP there is fear because he has spoken such statement, that is considered homophobic which it clearly isn't. Remember the right to challege as well...
Reply 89
Homophobic is just another label. People use it when they feel they're right to.
You shouldn't care either way.
Reply 90
4G_dollars
Civil marriages as far as I am aware, is done within registry office, clearly that has no religious significance.
The latter, marriage in the church etc..is seen as a religious thing therefore not homophobic...

What I am saying is that it is not homophobic to say that...Because we should be able to say what we want, without fear, in this case of the OP there is fear because he has spoken such statement, that is considered homophobic which it clearly isn't. Remember the right to challege as well...

You're confusing your (limited) right to free speech with the right for gay men and women to enjoy equality. Get a dictionary and look up "discrimination" and the word "homophobia" and then come back with your opinion. It amazes me how many people on this board cannot see that failing to give gay people equal rights, religion aside, is homophobic. Just as segregation was racist you cannot deny a gay man or woman the right to commit him/herself to someone he/she truly loves.
Gay marriage is so gay.
Reply 92
4G_dollars

Just because we have a right to say it doesn't stop it being homophobic... You seem to be confused as to the definition of homophobia....
ChunkymunkyDJC
Gay marriage is so gay.

This.
Reply 94
4G_dollars

Of course, people should have the right to express their views in a non-violent manner. However, whether what they say is homophobic (or racist) is another matter and the two shouldn't be confused. The fact that a view is racist or homophobic (or generally offensive in general) shouldn't mean that it ought be censored.
Reply 95
Flying Cookie

This. If anything you're just a moron :yes:
Reply 96
Dont worry God is homophobic
Reply 97
King4eva

You're an imbecile. And I'm not even going to grace that with a justification. :rolleyes:
King4eva

Come now, that was just him making some really ambiguous statements that are possibly metaphors, although he seems to have forgotten to label them as such.
Reply 99
Did you say this at the YMCA or something?

Latest

Trending

Trending