The Student Room Group

I Am Not Throwing Away My Shot - A Year 12 GYG 2020/2021

Scroll to see replies

Friday 11th September 2020 -- So Far So Good!

This week has still been great! Things have been going really well!
So the week has really gone by in a blur, but I managed to get some notes done, and have been settling down into the new routine. I have been getting up later and later though, so I need to break that habit before it becomes a problem, haha.

I got given four books for RS on Monday; taking those home almost broke my back. Luckily we can keep these at home though, so that's not a problem. My computer sucks at connecting to the school WiFi, so I need to make another visit on Monday to the IT guys.

I feel like I'm meeting new people every day. It's surprisingly nice, tbh. I had a lot of frees today, so I was able to get some extra stuff done and go home a bit earlier, which is always nice (especially on a Friday!!)

I'm a bit worried about the rise in COVID cases, but I have to trust that the school is keeping us as safe as possible. I just have some trust issues about people not taking social responsibility (Inspector Goole help us).

It was also picture day today, so wearing a blazer was fun (not)! I felt confident in my outfit today so I hope I look okay when the picture comes out (demonic smile here I come).

Today I had Biology and Chemistry. This is how they went:

Biology:

Spoiler

Chemistry:

Spoiler

I only have RS on every other Friday, so next week I'll be able to talk a little more about all three of them next week.

Obligatory desk spread pic lmao (ft. Biology notes and my huge RS books, haha.)

Spoiler

Plan for the weekend:

Spoiler

One thing I was really surprised about sixth form was how irregular the homework is (though my chemistry teacher is super nice and was like "It's due on Monday but if you can't get it done, it's fine."

TAGS, YOU'RE IT :aetsch:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DownRangeLion

So the week has really gone by in a blur, but I managed to get some notes done, and have been settling down into the new routine. I have been getting up later and later though, so I need to break that habit before it becomes a problem, haha.

I got given four books for RS on Monday; taking those home almost broke my back. Luckily we can keep these at home though, so that's not a problem. My computer sucks at connecting to the school WiFi, so I need to make another visit on Monday to the IT guys.

I feel like I'm meeting new people every day. It's surprisingly nice, tbh. I had a lot of frees today, so I was able to get some extra stuff done and go home a bit earlier, which is always nice (especially on a Friday!!)

I'm a bit worried about the rise in COVID cases, but I have to trust that the school is keeping us as safe as possible. I just have some trust issues about people not taking social responsibility (Inspector Goole help us).

Biology:

Spoiler

Chemistry:

Spoiler

I only have RS on every other Friday, so next week I'll be able to talk a little more about all three of them next week.

Spoiler

Plan for the weekend:

Spoiler

One thing I was really surprised about sixth form was how irregular the homework is (though my chemistry teacher is super nice and was like "It's due on Monday but if you can't get it done, it's fine."

Spoiler

awesome!! i'm soso glad you're having a great time :smile:
Original post by bookausten
awesome!! i'm soso glad you're having a great time :smile:

:smile: :biggrin: Thank youuuu!!! Bring on next week, haha (but not too fast)!
Aww thank you!!

Good luck to you as well!! :biggrin:

It was also picture day today, so wearing a blazer was fun (not)! I felt confident in my outfit today so I hope I look okay when the picture comes out (demonic smile here I come).

Biology:

Spoiler

Chemistry:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Plan for the weekend:

Spoiler

Spoiler

U won me over at Inspector Goole. I ****ing love that guy he is an absolute legend.
Also that Biology lesson feels like the most chemistry-est topic ever wth
Original post by cloud_9_
U won me over at Inspector Goole. I ****ing love that guy he is an absolute legend.

Original post by cloud_9_

We all adore Mr Goole 😂

I know, right?!? It was such a headache. We’re learning about bIoLoGiCaL MoLeCuLeS.

It’s gonna get really old, really fast 😭

Biology:

Spoiler

Chemistry:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Plan for the weekend:

Spoiler

Spoiler

loving the organisation. looks super neat!
This looks amazing I would love a tag if it isn’t too much

Biology:

Spoiler

Chemistry:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Plan for the weekend:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Glad to see your enjoying sixth form - honestly meeting loads of new people was one of my favourite things about year 12 and I just hope everyone in your year gets the chance to meet people easily (given the circumstances).

Picture days are always hit and miss - hopefully this one comes out good for you!
Original post by philogrobized
loving the organisation. looks super neat!

Aw thank you!! I'm glad you think so! :biggrin:
Original post by LovingLucy
This looks amazing I would love a tag if it isn’t too much

Thank you! :biggrin: And of course you can!
Original post by Becca216
Glad to see your enjoying sixth form - honestly meeting loads of new people was one of my favourite things about year 12 and I just hope everyone in your year gets the chance to meet people easily (given the circumstances).

Picture days are always hit and miss - hopefully this one comes out good for you!

Thank you -- Everyone at my school is super friendly, so that definitely helps, aha. I do as well, but we all seem to be getting along quite well, so that's definitely a plus!

I know; I didn't even have the chance for a good smile! Apparently these pictures are going on our UCAS applications, so that's gonna be fun (not)! And thank you so much! fingers crossed!
would love to be tagged!
Original post by clouddbubbles
would love to be tagged!

Done! Thank you :biggrin:
Quick Note-Taking How-To:

If you guys want to see how I do my notes before lessons (Biology edition), then go to THIS POST on @cryinqclouds ' GYG blog! And have a look at their blog while you're there!! :biggrin:

Quick Tag-a-roos:

Spoiler

How’s the pre-reading going? I always find it hard to motivate myself to do questions on the next topic, and after writing up my neat notes & finishing homework my energy is spent!
Original post by zacn01
How’s the pre-reading going? I always find it hard to motivate myself to do questions on the next topic, and after writing up my neat notes & finishing homework my energy is spent!

I'm actually doing some right now (I have TSR open -- trying to find any excuse to procrastinate, haha)!

I get what you mean about not having motivation; you're super tired, so it makes sense. I personally don't mind my notes looking a bit messy (as you might have seen, aha) so it takes less time to get stuff on paper. I think part of it is just getting into a good routine that works for you. Ever since sixth form started (a week and a half ago), I've been working in a lot of my free time just because I have that habit/urge to do so (also I'm enjoying the content so it's not boring or anything).

Building a new habit typically takes about 28 days (source: ASAPscience I think lmao). If you try and do some studying (or whatever you want to do) once a day every day for that time, it'll get increasingly easier as you would be developing a habit.

I don't touch my work on weekends until 12pm though; it gets my procrastination out of the way. (Margaret Atwood always procrastinates until 3pm; if it works for her to get 16 books out, it can work for us, haha.)

On weekdays, I have a shower as soon as I get home. It's my time to wind down a bit after the long day, and I usually take my time (watching QI at the same time because *chefs kiss*).

When I come down I get started on work. It's just writing notes out right now, but soon I'll be answering questions and things (probably at the first tests, aha). At 9pm (or after dinner), I call it a day. Always set a time to stop; it gives you something to look forward too and maintains your mental health (because we don't want burnout).

I also haven't been given a lot of homework yet; the ones I have been set were relatively easy and didn't take more than half an hour/40 mins. If you're doing essay subjects (Eng lit?) then it might be a lot more work because you're thinking constantly about stuff. That's okay! You are allowed to rest. Maybe once you've done all that, set aside an extra 20 minutes to do some pre-reading if you want to (i.e. Pomodoro technique). After that, slowly build up IF YOU WANT TO. Don't push yourself too much; take your time.

TL;DR: Make it fun. I feel a bit tired right now, but I'm enjoying myself so it's not that hard for me to truck on. Find times in the day to wind down (i.e. ride home/shower/bath, etc) before you start work so you feel more refreshed.

I hope this helped a little bit! I kinda just spewed some stuff here lol. Take what's useful and discard the rest XD.
I'm actually doing some right now (I have TSR open -- trying to find any excuse to procrastinate, haha)!

I get what you mean about not having motivation; you're super tired, so it makes sense. I personally don't mind my notes looking a bit messy (as you might have seen, aha) so it takes less time to get stuff on paper. I think part of it is just getting into a good routine that works for you. Ever since sixth form started (a week and a half ago), I've been working in a lot of my free time just because I have that habit/urge to do so (also I'm enjoying the content so it's not boring or anything).

Building a new habit typically takes about 28 days (source: ASAPscience I think lmao). If you try and do some studying (or whatever you want to do) once a day every day for that time, it'll get increasingly easier as you would be developing a habit.

I don't touch my work on weekends until 12pm though; it gets my procrastination out of the way. (Margaret Atwood always procrastinates until 3pm; if it works for her to get 16 books out, it can work for us, haha.)

On weekdays, I have a shower as soon as I get home. It's my time to wind down a bit after the long day, and I usually take my time (watching QI at the same time because *chefs kiss*).

When I come down I get started on work. It's just writing notes out right now, but soon I'll be answering questions and things (probably at the first tests, aha). At 9pm (or after dinner), I call it a day. Always set a time to stop; it gives you something to look forward too and maintains your mental health (because we don't want burnout).

I also haven't been given a lot of homework yet; the ones I have been set were relatively easy and didn't take more than half an hour/40 mins. If you're doing essay subjects (Eng lit?) then it might be a lot more work because you're thinking constantly about stuff. That's okay! You are allowed to rest. Maybe once you've done all that, set aside an extra 20 minutes to do some pre-reading if you want to (i.e. Pomodoro technique). After that, slowly build up IF YOU WANT TO. Don't push yourself too much; take your time.

TL;DR: Make it fun. I feel a bit tired right now, but I'm enjoying myself so it's not that hard for me to truck on. Find times in the day to wind down (i.e. ride home/shower/bath, etc) before you start work so you feel more refreshed.

I hope this helped a little bit! I kinda just spewed some stuff here lol. Take what's useful and discard the rest XD.

this is incredible advice!! i love your energy hahah!
Friday 18th September 2020 -- The Novelty Wears Off..

Ugh, this week was NOT my week.

Rant below:

Spoiler

Okay so for other things:

General stuff:

Spoiler

Biology:

Spoiler

Chemistry:

Spoiler

PRE:

Spoiler

TGIF, Tags:

Spoiler

i feel your pain with school covid procedures!!! the teachers are just shouting and i’m like ??? you didn’t tell us these rules :nah:

awful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending