The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zweihander
Compulsive liar?....have you ever considered becoming a lawyer?

I am studying law.
Reply 21
Original post by Zweihander
Compulsive liar?....have you ever considered becoming a lawyer?

I am studying law.
Reply 22
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
Hola Amigo :smile:

I can help, I once volunteered at a youth centre where I mentored a girl who was a compulsive liar and she was EXACTLY like you, she went to a middle class school full of beautiful children, she was plain and poor and she lied compulsively about everything.

I don't know if you realise but people know your lying, they'll never mention it to you however they mention it within each other, they do realise sometimes that your lying, they will feel sorry for you and not mention it.

You suffer from low self esteem, low self confidence and grandiose delusions and compulsively lie to create an image you so badly wish to possess to the extent where it takes over your life and you can't go back. If you are more extreme you could possibly be suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder or Histrionic Personality Disorder however I doubt you have gone that far, read up on it and look into the symptoms.

Start by picking one thing that you know you always lie about. For example: your weight, your age, how you got that scar, what you do for a living, etc. Focus on telling the truth about that ONE thing EVERY TIME. This will give you practice and get you used to answering honestly. This is especially helpful if you pick something that comes up frequently in conversations. Have the honest answer ready in your mind, repeat it to yourself if you have to.

I think once you have identified what you lie about most you will continually repeat the truth and tell yourself that your are fine just as you are.

I would drift away from all the people you have lied to as many of them will not give you their trust again and start forming new relationships with people who you tell the truth with the from the start.

Research Sam Vaknin, compulsive and pathological lying and the two personality disorders I stated earlier and get to the bottom of WHY you lie so much, you have alot of shame, low self esteem and don't feel you are good enough, you need to build that up.

Therapy can sometimes help you answer questions as to why you do certain things too.

Good Luck!

xoxo

Thank you.

I agree with what is said here. The girl story, is reflective of mine. I am aware of the causes of why I lie. I lie because I am ashamed of who I am. I do live in a middle class area, I am really poor and come from a broken family.

I admit, I cry myself to sleep. I get upset and feel hurt. I am annoyed at myself. I am tired and have had enough. I feel worthless. Like for example, it is the sales, there was a £20 pair of jeans which I put back. I couldn't afford it. It sounds stupid but I couldn't afford it because that £20 could go somewhere else. In education, I am doing a law degree, I did really poor, terrible in my first and second year made me feel even lower. Because the way I feel, it is eating away me. I am not going to become a solicitor or a barrister because I given up on myself. I have told myself consistently that I am worthless. Yet I lie to put grand image out there. There is a big big contradiction. I am so confused.

A part of me wants attention. When the attention comes to me, I hate it. I hate the attention and feel uneasy about it.I lie to get away from the attention.
Now, I avoid people. I know, they know I am lying. I don't want to admit to it. I am in a mess.

I have low self-esteem and suffer from low confidence. I don't feel good about myself. I don't know who I am. When I think about it, I am poor, plain, lonely and just boring.

I lie compulsively and needlessly at times. I don't need to lie.
Original post by Anonymous
It is a big mess. I really want to stop lying. I want to be honest. At least I know that I have a problem.
Did your friend know that you knew she was lying?
I do think and probably aware they know I am lying.

Yeah i told her sometimes though not always, sometimes i let her get away with it and when i told her i know ur lying she often told me she wasnt even though i knew she was coz i had proof. Its sad coz i dont trust her that shes telling the truth anymore though I like her 4 other reasons. I shared a lot of very personal things with her and shes very understanding so in that case it didnt break up our friendship but what u need 2 think is that u dont want friends who think u are things that u are not. U want friends who like u 4 who u are so u do need 2 confess 2 them that uve been lying about a lot of things and try 2 show them the real u, if theyre good friends theyll be happy with the real u and if theyre not ur better off without them in the long run. But compulsive lying is a hard habit to break out of and it aint gonna be easy but if u feel more open with ur friends it will help.
Good luck
Thank you.

I agree with what is said here. The girl story, is reflective of mine. I am aware of the causes of why I lie. I lie because I am ashamed of who I am. I do live in a middle class area, I am really poor and come from a broken family.

I admit, I cry myself to sleep. I get upset and feel hurt. I am annoyed at myself. I am tired and have had enough. I feel worthless. Like for example, it is the sales, there was a £20 pair of jeans which I put back. I couldn't afford it. It sounds stupid but I couldn't afford it because that £20 could go somewhere else. In education, I am doing a law degree, I did really poor, terrible in my first and second year made me feel even lower. Because the way I feel, it is eating away me. I am not going to become a solicitor or a barrister because I given up on myself. I have told myself consistently that I am worthless. Yet I lie to put grand image out there. There is a big big contradiction. I am so confused.

A part of me wants attention. When the attention comes to me, I hate it. I hate the attention and feel uneasy about it.I lie to get away from the attention.
Now, I avoid people. I know, they know I am lying. I don't want to admit to it. I am in a mess.

I have low self-esteem and suffer from low confidence. I don't feel good about myself. I don't know who I am. When I think about it, I am poor, plain, lonely and just boring.

I lie compulsively and needlessly at times. I don't need to lie.

I can help you, I badly want you to be able to rise from this, I have been able to help people just like you go from worse mental states and because of that I realise from the bottom of my heart all you are going through, why and how you can rise above it. The average person will see you as a bad person or pathetic but I know all of this stems from the fact that deep down you are a very fragile, kind and sensitive person.

From a young age you have probably been through situations at home which made you think you were not good enough, however this isn't your fault however it is your decision to break out of the things which made you insecure as a little girl and realise that you are now a young woman with a future, you have to let them go.

Over the past few years you have created so many different identities that you have lost your true and real self, you have to find her again.

This chain of lying, deception and insecurity has ultimately been ruining your life and has affected your career choices and all aspects of your life, I'm a law student too although I am a mentor to people outside university and aim to do a masters degree in criminology and eventually become a psychotherapist later on in my career, helping and talking to people is one of my gifts and I always want to be that person who lifts people when they feel they have noone left. What's your gift?

This is going to take a bit of work however, you can and will rise from this. I'd love to help you, I usually work for charities however I have a clutch of girls I have mentored through emailing and telephone too.

You can create a random anonymous email address to email me , you don't need to disclose your name to me however we can do a 30 day plan where we email each other daily and each day I take you through a different step. It will sometimes shock you but it will make you self aware and hopefully counselling you through email will make you ready for real counselling whenever you wish to seek it.

You can't keep living with such negativity, one day your going to marry and have children of your own who you will teach to love themselves and a fantastic career and you have to deal with this before you do that.

My mentoring email is [email protected] I'd love to have you as one of the people I email advice, I have had people I mentored and have stayed in contact with via email.

Send me EVERYTHING you feel at the moment and why you are so dissatisfied and we can start from there. Create a random new email with a fake name if you need to, I don't really care who you are however I know I can help you.

xoxoxoxo
shut up you liar
The cake is a lie.
Reply 27
I can help you, I badly want you to be able to rise from this, I have been able to help people just like you go from worse mental states and because of that I realise from the bottom of my heart all you are going through, why and how you can rise above it. The average person will see you as a bad person or pathetic but I know all of this stems from the fact that deep down you are a very fragile, kind and sensitive person.

From a young age you have probably been through situations at home which made you think you were not good enough, however this isn't your fault however it is your decision to break out of the things which made you insecure as a little girl and realise that you are now a young woman with a future, you have to let them go.

Over the past few years you have created so many different identities that you have lost your true and real self, you have to find her again.

This chain of lying, deception and insecurity has ultimately been ruining your life and has affected your career choices and all aspects of your life, I'm a law student too although I am a mentor to people outside university and aim to do a masters degree in criminology and eventually become a psychotherapist later on in my career, helping and talking to people is one of my gifts and I always want to be that person who lifts people when they feel they have noone left. What's your gift?

This is going to take a bit of work however, you can and will rise from this. I'd love to help you, I usually work for charities however I have a clutch of girls I have mentored through emailing and telephone too.

You can create a random anonymous email address to email me , you don't need to disclose your name to me however we can do a 30 day plan where we email each other daily and each day I take you through a different step. It will sometimes shock you but it will make you self aware and hopefully counselling you through email will make you ready for real counselling whenever you wish to seek it.

You can't keep living with such negativity, one day your going to marry and have children of your own who you will teach to love themselves and a fantastic career and you have to deal with this before you do that.

My mentoring email is [email protected] I'd love to have you as one of the people I email advice, I have had people I mentored and have stayed in contact with via email.

Send me EVERYTHING you feel at the moment and why you are so dissatisfied and we can start from there. Create a random new email with a fake name if you need to, I don't really care who you are however I know I can help you.

xoxoxoxo

Thank you so much. I will email you.
i used to be a compulsive liar too, one day i realised what i was doing and how much **** i got into. at the age of 16 i decided to stop, and told my best friend to always question what i said to be true. eventually i got so sick of her asking me i guess that kind of stopped me doing it. if you concentrate on every little thing before it comes out of your mouth, you can just about censor it before you say it. and also, when you get caught out, just admit it. people will begin to trust you more. its pretty hard but if i can do it so can you.

by the way, compulsive lying is waaaay more common than you think.
(edited 13 years ago)
Thank you so much. I will email you.

I really hope you do, I'd love to help you become the real you that's underneath and live a happier and better version of your life. Psychotherapy is often costly and the NHS have long waiting queues and I don't think they will see your case as serious because they have people with so many more deep issues.

Hope to hear from you soon!

xoxo
Hola Amigo :smile:

I can help, I once volunteered at a youth centre where I mentored a girl who was a compulsive liar and she was EXACTLY like you, she went to a middle class school full of beautiful children, she was plain and poor and she lied compulsively about everything.

I don't know if you realise but people know your lying, they'll never mention it to you however they mention it within each other, they do realise sometimes that your lying, they will feel sorry for you and not mention it.

You suffer from low self esteem, low self confidence and grandiose delusions and compulsively lie to create an image you so badly wish to possess to the extent where it takes over your life and you can't go back. If you are more extreme you could possibly be suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder or Histrionic Personality Disorder however I doubt you have gone that far, read up on it and look into the symptoms.

Start by picking one thing that you know you always lie about. For example: your weight, your age, how you got that scar, what you do for a living, etc. Focus on telling the truth about that ONE thing EVERY TIME. This will give you practice and get you used to answering honestly. This is especially helpful if you pick something that comes up frequently in conversations. Have the honest answer ready in your mind, repeat it to yourself if you have to.

I think once you have identified what you lie about most you will continually repeat the truth and tell yourself that your are fine just as you are.

I would drift away from all the people you have lied to as many of them will not give you their trust again and start forming new relationships with people who you tell the truth with the from the start.

Research Sam Vaknin, compulsive and pathological lying and the two personality disorders I stated earlier and get to the bottom of WHY you lie so much, you have alot of shame, low self esteem and don't feel you are good enough, you need to build that up.

Therapy can sometimes help you answer questions as to why you do certain things too.

Good Luck!

xoxo

You're a nice person.
Reply 31
I really hope you do, I'd love to help you become the real you that's underneath and live a happier and better version of your life. Psychotherapy is often costly and the NHS have long waiting queues and I don't think they will see your case as serious because they have people with so many more deep issues.

Hope to hear from you soon!

xoxo

I have emailed you, I am a he.
Simple solution? STOP lying. So, whats the problem?
plus you should probably change the people that you are around, they arent doing you any favours as friends if you feel you need to lie ONLY when you are around them...

Change your environment...Change yourself. Simples! Goodluck. x
I have emailed you, I am a he.

Have sent you your first assignment :smile: can't wait to work with you!
Hey my name is briyan and I am a compulsive liar. MY lying and deciept has hurt the woman I love quite a few times. I don't know why I lie sometimes it's easier than the truth. I'm hurting my partner who I do not want to lose. My sister and brother both have the same problem. I want to stop iI do not want to lie anymore. It's destroying me I hate the person I am and I hate that I'm hurting the woman who has stood by me. Through everything. Plz help .
Hey my name is briyan and I am a compulsive liar. MY lying and deciept has hurt the woman I love quite a few times. I don't know why I lie sometimes it's easier than the truth. I'm hurting my partner who I do not want to lose. My sister and brother both have the same problem. I want to stop iI do not want to lie anymore. It's destroying me I hate the person I am and I hate that I'm hurting the woman who has stood by me. Through everything. Plz help .

Latest

Trending

Trending