The Student Room Group

Family Problems - Getting sick of their complaining.

Basically I am part of a family of three. Myself, my mother and father.

Firstly, I am 18 and my parents are in their late 50s, they married late. We are going through hard times, my mum works at a school a few days a week and my dad owns a leasehold business. Needless to say, since the recession his business isn't making any profit. He works 7am-9pm Mon-Fri and upto 11/12 on Fridays doing accounts, etc. On weekends, he often goes to suppliers, cash and carry's, etc. My mum often helps him when she isn't working at the school.

Now to the point, my parents are always arguing. Always complaining, particularly my mother. I am just sick and tired of it. They argue with me too. It was my mum's birthday a few days ago and my dad forgot. Probably owing to how hard he works. Endless nagging has ensued. Both sides trying to points score, neither talking to each other. My dad realises he's made a mistake and he knows he shouldn't have done so. However, truth be told, neither of our birthdays are ever really celebrated. My birthday was spent arguing, the money that they gave me as a present, I eventually just left it on their tables because I just didn't want to accept a so-called gift when they just ruined my day by arguing. As far as I know, the money that my mum gave me is still on that table and the money that my dad gave me has since disappeared, I assume put back in his wallet. That's fine. Aside from this, my mum endlessly spends her time on the phone, I have exams (A-levels) but she never seems to understand this. I need to take a gap year (didn't get into of the universties that I wanted to) so need to do well. I am happy when I am home alone because when one of them comes home, havoc occurs. Swearing at each other, swearing between us. etc. The neighbours regularly complain about the noise so it is embarrassing to even go out in public.

Whilst my own health isn't very good either. I need physiotherapy, have a stomach illnesss (after having Salmonella a few years ago).

I just don't know what to do, I honestly hate my life.
OP don't feel down. Have you told them you feel like this? Often by telling them it changes things. My parents work really hard too - they work similar hours but till 10.30 instead including weekends so basically they used to argue but I told them how I feel and now it's really good! Dont feel demoralised. If you ever feel down, watch a YouTube video that compares the size of the earth to Sirius A and the Sun... Trust me it'll make your problems seem so small. I hope this helped. Xxxxx
Original post by Anonymous

Firstly, I am 18 and my parents are in their late 50s, they married late. We are going through hard times, my mum works at a school a few days a week and my dad owns a leasehold business. Needless to say, since the recession his business isn't making any profit. He works 7am-9pm Mon-Fri and upto 11/12 on Fridays doing accounts, etc. On weekends, he often goes to suppliers, cash and carry's, etc. My mum often helps him when she isn't working at the school.

Now to the point, my parents are always arguing. Always complaining, particularly my mother. I am just sick and tired of it. They argue with me too. It was my mum's birthday a few days ago and my dad forgot. Probably owing to how hard he works. Endless nagging has ensued. Both sides trying to points score, neither talking to each other. My dad realises he's made a mistake and he knows he shouldn't have done so. However, truth be told, neither of our birthdays are ever really celebrated. My birthday was spent arguing, the money that they gave me as a present, I eventually just left it on their tables because I just didn't want to accept a so-called gift when they just ruined my day by arguing. As far as I know, the money that my mum gave me is still on that table and the money that my dad gave me has since disappeared, I assume put back in his wallet. That's fine. Aside from this, my mum endlessly spends her time on the phone, I have exams (A-levels) but she never seems to understand this. I need to take a gap year (didn't get into of the universties that I wanted to) so need to do well. I am happy when I am home alone because when one of them comes home, havoc occurs. Swearing at each other, swearing between us. etc. The neighbours regularly complain about the noise so it is embarrassing to even go out in public.

Whilst my own health isn't very good either. I need physiotherapy, have a stomach illnesss (after having Salmonella a few years ago).

Reply 2
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi
OP don't feel down. Have you told them you feel like this? Often by telling them it changes things. My parents work really hard too - they work similar hours but till 10.30 instead including weekends so basically they used to argue but I told them how I feel and now it's really good! Dont feel demoralised. If you ever feel down, watch a YouTube video that compares the size of the earth to Sirius A and the Sun... Trust me it'll make your problems seem so small. I hope this helped. Xxxxx

Ah The mighty VY Canis Majoris.
Totally off topic but that clip takes me beyond these earthly worries.One which is destined to be a super novae...never to twinkle again. :frown:
It just goes on to show the magnitude of selfness we humans tend to be in a very tiny planet called Earth.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi

this website is awesome. love it

http://www.point64.com/other/images/spaceCompare.php

Original post by Anonymous

keep your head up. ive been through something similar too. try tell them. one day i flipped and walked out with a packed bag to my dads(my mum lives with my step dad). they soon realised how much it was affecting me.
Glad other people also like that video/things associated with it. It makes me feel so insignificant!

Original post by J1mjam
this website is awesome. love it

http://www.point64.com/other/images/spaceCompare.php

keep your head up. ive been through something similar too. try tell them. one day i flipped and walked out with a packed bag to my dads(my mum lives with my step dad). they soon realised how much it was affecting me.

Original post by ibysaiyan
Ah The mighty VY Canis Majoris.
Totally off topic but that clip takes me beyond these earthly worries.One which is destined to be a super novae...never to twinkle again. :frown:
It just goes on to show the magnitude of selfness we humans tend to be in a very tiny planet called Earth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending