The Student Room Group

Do you think a 2 week old baby is okay to be left alone with father for a weekend?

Me and my mum are having a debate!
She thinks this is "ridiculous" as a baby should NOT be away from its mother when it is this young.. but, I think, if the baby is with their father (who is just as much a parent as the mother!) then what is the problem? (providing he is trustworthy, normal etc!)

Scroll to see replies

nothing wrong with it. if the mother is breastfeeding she can express her milk, or if formula then dad can feed him. Babies need to get used of the fact mum won't be there 24/7 and has other commitments and would also be a nice time for baby to bond with dad :smile:
Alone? But daddys there...
Reply 3
Depends how responsible the father is.

Why was I negged for this would you seriously leave a 2 week old baby with an irresponsible father.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Erm...yes. The baby has **** eyesight anyway, probably doesn't know the difference. If the guy has manboobs, even better. (y)
Reply 5
Original post by senator88
She thinks this is "ridiculous" as a baby should NOT be away from its mother when it is this young.. but, I think, if the baby is with their father (who is just as much a parent as the mother!) then what is the problem? (providing he is trustworthy, normal etc!)

Some mothers can be worse than the fathers!
Reply 6
I think I'd have to be a mother first to know the answer
Reply 7
Why the hell not. A father can be just as responsible as a mother. It depends on the individual. If the child is breastfeeding, then obviously it's more of a problem, but in terms of responsibility it's all down the the individuals.
Reply 8
As long as the baby's getting the right milk (either breast milk or formula) then its fine.
milk is the only issue, and that's not impossible.
I would sincerely hope that a baby could be left with it's father.
Original post by Cicerao
Erm...yes. The baby has **** eyesight anyway, probably doesn't know the difference. If the guy has manboobs, even better. (y)

I don't think there's anything whatsoever wrong in leaving a two-week-old baby with it's father for a couple of days, but of course the baby knows the difference; one of the first things babies learn to recognise is their mother by her scent and sound.
Original post by senator88

As a doctor I would be concerned about the post natal health of this mother.

2 Weeks post birth she should still be all but clutching her baby and snarling at strangers from uber new mother hormones/instincts.

To be parted and left in someone elses care - even the father, for more than a few hours indicates poor bonding (possible early sign of post natal depression
I think the baby will be fine...
Reply 14
It's just a weekend, as long as you feel that the father is safe and responsible, what's the problem?
Reply 15
A good mother wouldn't be able to leave her baby with anyone for a weekend.
Reply 16
I think that if I'd just had a kid, and it was only this age, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it alone for a few hours, let alone a weekend.
It could be a psychology urge not to leave the baby if you're a mother.

But yes, the father should be trusted.
Dunno if I would feel any different as a mother but I would be more than happy to leave our child with my boyfriend. I'm sure he'd be great dad. Unless he has shown irresponsibility or untrustworthiness regarding the child I don't see why it should be problem.
Reply 19
Are you Ronnie from Eastenders?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending