The Student Room Group

Can I get into uni with this?

Hi, I'm 18 and thinking of applying to uni in 2012

My education history is pretty erractic, I have excellent GCSEs, but dropped out of college in my second year due to personal circumstances. I am now doing an apprenticeship as a receptionist, I have done a level 2 NVQ in business and admin and am now doing my level 3. I have 4 AS levels, law (C), English Lit (B), Film Studies (B) and general studies, for those that count it (C).

Law has always interested me and I would like to do it at uni, but obviously with a C at AS and no other relevant qualifications I doubt I would be accepted.

I know lots of places look down on NVQs, unis included. I was planning on doing an Access to HE course in September (Humanities) but obviously on an apprenticeship wage it's going to be a struggle to pay for it and it would be great if I could get in with my current qualifications. Was just wondering if anyone has gotten into uni with an NVQ and if so what other qualifications/work experience was it accompanied with?
Original post by vicky_1234
Hi, I'm 18 and thinking of applying to uni in 2012

My education history is pretty erractic, I have excellent GCSEs, but dropped out of college in my second year due to personal circumstances. I am now doing an apprenticeship as a receptionist, I have done a level 2 NVQ in business and admin and am now doing my level 3. I have 4 AS levels, law (C), English Lit (B), Film Studies (B) and general studies, for those that count it (C).

Law has always interested me and I would like to do it at uni, but obviously with a C at AS and no other relevant qualifications I doubt I would be accepted.

I know lots of places look down on NVQs, unis included. I was planning on doing an Access to HE course in September (Humanities) but obviously on an apprenticeship wage it's going to be a struggle to pay for it and it would be great if I could get in with my current qualifications. Was just wondering if anyone has gotten into uni with an NVQ and if so what other qualifications/work experience was it accompanied with?

There aren't really any typical required A levels for Law, in fact Eng. lit is more relevent and a better qualification than the actual law a level to my knowledge. I'm not really sure what to suggest tbh.
Reply 2
Have you considered doing an Access course? I also dropped out of school after my AS levels and did an NVQ (in childcare). It only takes a year. To be perfectly honest, you may struggle with your current qualifications.
Reply 3
Original post by crashdoll
Have you considered doing an Access course? I also dropped out of school after my AS levels and did an NVQ (in childcare). It only takes a year. To be perfectly honest, you may struggle with your current qualifications.

Yeah as I said in my first post I am planning on doing an access course this September, just wanted to see if anyone has gotten into uni with the qualifications I already have to save paying for my access course haha
I have 5 12 GCSE A/B and 5 AS LEVELS A-C and I have got in without a-level. I do have alot of paid and voluntary experience in my field though.
Reply 5
Yeah as I said in my first post I am planning on doing an access course this September, just wanted to see if anyone has gotten into uni with the qualifications I already have to save paying for my access course haha

Oooopps sorry, I somehow missed that!!
Reply 6
If I was you I would really consider if you want to pursue law at university, because since you already have AS levels in those subjects why don't you in september just complete them into A2 because those are good grades at AS, and you will stand a better chance of being accepted into a law degree, because you already have experience, and have other qualifications which proves you are a versatile person. Because some universities for example Portsmouth require 280 points for Law and Business- which is an advantage for you because you are completing a level 3 in business :smile:
http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetypes/undergraduate/LLBLawWithBusiness/

LLB Law With Business
UCAS Code/Course code: M1NC
Mode of study: Full time or Sandwich (Optional)
Duration: 3 or 4 YEARS
Entry Requirements: 280 points from 3 A levels or equivalent. 5 GCSEs at grade C or above to include Mathematics and English.
LLB Law With Business
M1NC
C1685
14-19 Diploma Entry Requirements: Our 14-19 Diploma requirements are currently being updated, please see UCAS for the most up to date entry requirements

Go on Ucas and the best advise I ever was given, was if you want a better chance of getting accepted into uni always pick a subject you want with something else for example my friend chose History and French instead of History :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by faith100
If I was you I would really consider if you want to pursue law at university, because since you already have AS levels in those subjects why don't you in september just complete them into A2 because those are good grades at AS, and you will stand a better chance of being accepted into a law degree, because you already have experience, and have other qualifications which proves you are a versatile person. Because some universities for example Portsmouth require 280 points for Law and Business- which is an advantage for you because you are completing a level 3 in business :smile:
http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetypes/undergraduate/LLBLawWithBusiness/

LLB Law With Business
UCAS Code/Course code: M1NC
Mode of study: Full time or Sandwich (Optional)
Duration: 3 or 4 YEARS
Entry Requirements: 280 points from 3 A levels or equivalent. 5 GCSEs at grade C or above to include Mathematics and English.
LLB Law With Business
M1NC
C1685
14-19 Diploma Entry Requirements: Our 14-19 Diploma requirements are currently being updated, please see UCAS for the most up to date entry requirements

Go on Ucas and the best advise I ever was given, was if you want a better chance of getting accepted into uni always pick a subject you want with something else for example my friend chose History and French instead of History :smile:

This is great thanks! I may consider doing business with law...but the reason I'm not pursuing my A2 is because I absolutely DESPISE film studies and also I'll be 19 in July so I have to pay for my course, and my Access course is £700 whereas I think doing 3 seperate A2's would be more expensive? I think...
Reply 8
Really I never thought continuing your A2's would be more expensive, because I have a friend who is 19 but is completing her A2 in Psychology, but she never left the school is it because you left the college, so they will not allow you to simply continue off where you started? But, your welcome I would strongly advise you to choose business with law because you will have a better chance since you already have experience in a business setting. So start looking on the UCAS now, and think during summer about personal statement etc. So that you apply before the deadline, because if you apply by lets say before october at the latest you have a better chance of being accepeted. And aim for a mixture of universities not just the typical prestige, but consider uni's that you know would accept you. Personally, for me because I'm predicted to get 280 Ucas points, i chose uni's that were either met the exact requirements, a bit below and one that required 300 points, either way you know yourself. But, good luck and business with law is a really degree :smile:
Reply 9
No u will not have to pay this year, if you go to college this year you will not pay whereas you will if you go next year!! i done my alevels then went to colllege and done a level 3 also, and i have not had to pay and i am 20!! just enquire around the local colleges or sixth form centres!! xx
Reply 10
Original post by sophie1405
No u will not have to pay this year, if you go to college this year you will not pay whereas you will if you go next year!! i done my alevels then went to colllege and done a level 3 also, and i have not had to pay and i am 20!! just enquire around the local colleges or sixth form centres!! xx

Yes I do have to pay I will be 19 when I start this new year of college, if you start a new course when you're 19 or above you have to pay for it unless you're on the dole. If you started college when you were under 19 and have just continuously studied, that's why you don't have to pay. As long as you're under 19 at the start of your course you don't have to pay, no matter how long the course runs on for. What college did you go to? The college I applied for is LCC
I dont think you have to pay if you earn under a certain amount per year :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Pheebs1201
I dont think you have to pay if you earn under a certain amount per year :smile:

Maybe it's just the college I go to then cos I know people who are 19/20 when I were doing my A levels there that had to pay, and obviously they weren't earning much more than a weekend job
Reply 13
Yes I do have to pay I will be 19 when I start this new year of college, if you start a new course when you're 19 or above you have to pay for it unless you're on the dole. If you started college when you were under 19 and have just continuously studied, that's why you don't have to pay. As long as you're under 19 at the start of your course you don't have to pay, no matter how long the course runs on for. What college did you go to? The college I applied for is LCC

It might just be experiences myself and my friends have had but please don't go to LCC!!! The standard of teaching is horrendous and I quit halfway through my course last year, as did a lot of people I know doing other courses there.

You can write an appeal letter explaining why you would find it difficult to pay the fees, but a lot of people do that so it's whether you'd be considered.
Reply 14
Original post by Butties
It might just be experiences myself and my friends have had but please don't go to LCC!!! The standard of teaching is horrendous and I quit halfway through my course last year, as did a lot of people I know doing other courses there.

You can write an appeal letter explaining why you would find it difficult to pay the fees, but a lot of people do that so it's whether you'd be considered.

I know!! It's why I quit my A Levels XD but it the only college close to me that does an evening course, and I'm working full time, it's really difficult :/

And I will consider writing to them, thanks!
I go to southport college, i didnt have to pay and i was 19 when i went to college.
Reply 16
Original post by sophie1405
I go to southport college, i didnt have to pay and i was 19 when i went to college.

Thanks I'll have to look into that, Southport's quite far away from me though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending