The Student Room Group

Am I being unreasonable

Im 21 , and I was planning to go on a road trip with my friends to germany .However my parents say that no way can the let me on the road with a car ,they said I could go either by tran or bus .I mean come on I'm 21 , and they still treat my like a child. I didnt ask for a single penny for the trip , and they wont pay me a single dime but wants me to go a bus or a train (which is much costlier)

Anyways , had this huge argument with my dad , and he was like after all the years I looked after you ,cant respect me ? I was like wtf?(in my head) , I mean they always been overprotective of me .

Sorry , for the rant ..:sigh;

Scroll to see replies

Just do it, part of being a son or daughter is disobeying your parents lol
Original post by Anonymous
Im 21 , and I was planning to go on a road trip with my friends to germany .However my parents say that no way can the let me on the road with a car ,they said I could go either by tran or bus .I mean come on I'm 21 , and they still treat my like a child. I didnt ask for a single penny for the trip , and they wont pay me a single dime but wants me to go a bus or a train (which is much costlier)

Anyways , had this huge argument with my dad , and he was like after all the years I looked after you ,cant respect me ? I was like wtf?(in my head) , I mean they always been overprotective of me .

Sorry , for the rant ..:sigh;

Thats parents for you :angry:

I always talk my mum into things, and she persuades my dad, as he is probably the hardest guy to persuade.

So try that, use the 'softer' parent
Reply 3
To be honest, going by train would be much safer and would probably cost less if you try inter rail websites. I mean, you'll need a good solid car they will be able to drive long distances with 2 people and 2 peoples worth of luggage, break down emergency care, insurance, etc, in addition to you driving on unfamiliar roads with unfamiliar rules in a language that you might not completely understand. Plus, if your car gets broken into or stolen, you'll be screwed.
Reply 4
Original post by kat2pult
To be honest, going by train would be much safer and would probably cost less if you try inter rail websites. I mean, you'll need a good solid car they will be able to drive long distances with 2 people and 2 peoples worth of luggage, break down emergency care, insurance, etc, in addition to you driving on unfamiliar roads with unfamiliar rules in a language that you might not completely understand. Plus, if your car gets broken into or stolen, you'll be screwed.

the two guys Im going with are german , you have a point so do they .But surely this is all part of growing up .I just dont understand how long they want to keep me under their wings ..I mean my dad left his house when he was 16 , found his job , married and did all the stuff he wanted to ..Why cant I :angry:
Reply 5
Original post by Mr-Dangerous
Thats parents for you :angry:

I always talk my mum into things, and she persuades my dad, as he is probably the hardest guy to persuade.

So try that, use the 'softer' parent

Yh , it does work sometimes , but in this case my mum is on my dad's side too :colonhash:
To the parents :upyours:
Yh , does work sometimes , but in this case my mum is on my dad's side too :colonhash:

I usually go to my dad while he's sleeping and T-Bag him.
Reply 8
Original post by teenageclay
Just do it, part of being a son or daughter is disobeying your parents lol

They made it clear if I choose to go by car , I wont have a house to live when I come back :frown:
Reply 9
the two guys Im going with are german , you have a point so do they .But surely this is all part of growing up .I just dont understand how long they want to keep me under their wings ..I mean my dad left his house when he was 16 , found his job , married and did all the stuff he wanted to ..Why cant I :angry:

They care about you and don't want you making mistakes. They probably think 'my house, my rules' too.

What are you reasons for taking a car as opposed to flying/train-ing?
Just use the trains, they're awesome in Germany.
Although, it's not like your parents can regulate what you do when you're in another country, so you could always just pretend.
Reply 11
u care too much for their opinion i think.. go by ur own and sooner or later they will understand that ur grown enough to take the future in ur hands and their permission is totally not needed :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by kat2pult
They care about you and don't want you making mistakes. They probably think 'my house, my rules' too.

What are you reasons for taking a car as opposed to flying/train-ing?

well by train , you get to germany in less than 2hrs , by car much longer and you can have much more fun (I have never done it ,that's why it looks awesome :sad:).Also definitely cheaper than train travel like (£100 both ways).

not good enough reasons , I know but oh well
Reply 13
Original post by pwnflakes
u care too much for their opinion i think.. go by ur own and sooner or later they will understand that ur grown enough to take the future in ur hands and their permission is totally not needed :smile:

As I said I wont have to live ,when I come back .So disobeying them might no be a good idea , unless you want to help me out :colone:
get parents to pay for travelling on transports they suggest.....and then use the money you have saved from doing this to rent an automobile when you are away.

score!
Reply 15
As I said I wont have a house to live ,when I come back .So disobeying them might no be a good idea , unless you want to help me out :colone:

corrected
Reply 16
Original post by Mr-Dangerous
I usually go to my dad while he's sleeping and T-Bag him.

I try to do that when he's sleeping

slowly creeps in to his room ,
Me:biggrin:aaad

Him:Piss off

:colonhash:
Reply 17
I try to do that when he's sleeping

slowly creeps in to his room ,
Me: Daaad

Him: Piss off

Me : :colonhash:

German trains are lovely and comfortable and on time. Why go by car then?
They are reasonable and so are you. Just imagine you having an accident on the way to Germany. How will they bear the news that their son has kicked the bucket just because they let him go there by car? They have their own reasons for being worried. Anyway if you insist on being mature enough to do that, just stick to your guns. Tell them you'll demonstrate to them what you can do. Maybe buy some gifts for them when you return so as to mollify them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending