The Student Room Group

Would you find someone who speaks 16 languages attractive or a geek?

Scroll to see replies

Upmost respect, that takes some serious dedication, you know when you do it.

Again though, does depend on the languages learnt... Swahili only has a limited amout of words, and a lot of languages are fairly similar...

Still pretty awesome though.
Reply 201
Speak to them in a language they don't know and then come out with a witty/sarcastic comment about how they know 16 different languages but not that one.
Original post by Cicerao
Gutted to hear that as an English person, I am yet to become fluent in English. :awesome:

Why would you not be fluent in English if you're an English person? :confused:
Reply 203
Original post by Plain_Jane

Ooold thread, but I was replying to someone who claimed you're only fluent if you've read and appreciated iconic literature in that language. I didn't generally rate the "iconic" literature I've read in English, so apparently I'm not fluent. That was my point.
Original post by Plain_Jane

She's a panda anyway, of course she's not gonna speak English!
Chances are people would be intimidated by it, as evidenced in this thread.
Pop culture says it's bad.

Normal people, who don't follow pop culture norms, don't think it's bad to be studious. How can it be "bad" anyhow? It's just a normal variation of personality.
Reply 207
'The world greatest living polyglot is Ziad Fazah, a Lebanese immigrant currently living in Brazil, who is fluent in 56 languages, and won the mention in the Brazilian edition of the “Guinness World Book of Records”. The greatest linguist ever as recognized by the Guinness book of Records is the New Zealander Harold Williams, who was born in 1876 and is said to have spoken over 58 languages fluently.'

16 is amazing already - but nowhere near the record. :smile:
I think it'd be pretty awesome, I wish I knew more languages.

Though I'd like someone with a vary of hobbies, not just languages.
Original post by Flyer8
'The world greatest living polyglot is Ziad Fazah, a Lebanese immigrant currently living in Brazil, who is fluent in 56 languages, and won the mention in the Brazilian edition of the “Guinness World Book of Records”. The greatest linguist ever as recognized by the Guinness book of Records is the New Zealander Harold Williams, who was born in 1876 and is said to have spoken over 58 languages fluently.'

16 is amazing already - but nowhere near the record. :smile:

And that adds to the discussion how?
I'd find it astonishing and it'd give us a lot to talk about. I'd hope they could teach me a bit.
Original post by Hi I'm Vivi
Chances are people would be intimidated by it, as evidenced in this thread.

How would it be 'intimidating'?
If I met a woman who spoke 16 languages, I'd totally get down on her. Just saying. It's hot. :wink:
Reply 213
Haha! Love this thread :smile: In my opinion, its the way the knowledge is used thats important. If you knew 16 languages and were a total know it all and arrogant about it then obv not attractive trait - but using them in a way that pleased people and wasn't snobbish - i think it would be awesome :smile:
Original post by im so academic
I'd call bull**** and ask you to prove it.

Honestly, I'd think they were lying.

I would as well.

I know someone who speaks about 5 or six, and that's crazy enough.

NB: If you were like dumbledore or something it'd be feasible, but if someone under 30 claimed to be able to do it, I'd be way more suspicious.
Original post by Mm_Minty
I would as well.

I know someone who speaks about 5 or six, and that's crazy enough.

NB: If you were like dumbledore or something it'd be feasible, but if someone under 30 claimed to be able to do it, I'd be way more suspicious.

What languages does the person you know speak?

Btw I didn't know dumbledore spoke all those languages, is it true?
Original post by Raving_Hippy
What languages does the person you know speak?

Btw I didn't know dumbledore spoke all those languages, is it true?

Portuguese, English, Spanish, Italian, French and a bit of Japanese (there might be more but I can't remember)

He speaks mermish, so who knows?
it'll depend on their attitude about it, really. I knew someone who was a right p**** about it. EVery now and again, he'd say something in a different language and look at you like as though you lived under a rock until he shined his light upon ur weary soul!!! I'd ignore him with all my might!

On the other hand, I can imagine a cute guy having a conversation with me [in english] & then slipping lil hints or compliments in a different language. Like spanish, I hear its a very sexy language,.... :drool:
Geek. They may be able to speak 16 languages, but they wouldnt be able to hold a conversation due to the amount of time theyve spent on it.
Original post by deltabomber

Original post by deltabomber
Geek. They may be able to speak 16 languages, but they wouldnt be able to hold a conversation due to the amount of time theyve spent on it.

wwhhhaaa....... hmmm...i guess it depends on he who welds the lightsaber.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending