The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nati_jade
Hi guys just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Nathalie, I have a 20month old (today actually!) little girl, Emily, have just finished a degree in History at Derby uni (got a 2:1) during which I had a year out to have my little girl. I am going on to do a Primary PGCE at Staffordshire starting in two weeks time! Very, very excited. My partner is already a secondary English teacher having completed his PGCE last year, so I know first hand how stressful next year might be! Luckily Emily is VERY settled at her nursery, and we are all settled in a lovely house in the neighborhood I grew up in, a 30 second walk from my VERY supportive parent's house. So hopefully will be able to cope.

Last year I set up a society for Parent Students at my old uni, which I'm very proud of and hopefully will continue to go from strength to strength without me.

Hope you are all well, nice to meet you! :smile:

Hey there! I've just completed a Primary PGCE this year (I have 2 little girls, 3 & 5), it's tough going but I'm sure you will love it! There are quite a few threads on the Teaching page which are supportive too! :smile:
Aww wow congratulations. What did you find was the most difficult part? I'm dreading the maths QTS tests atm, keep failing the practices I can do it just not quick enough! :s-smilie:
Original post by nati_jade
Aww wow congratulations. What did you find was the most difficult part? I'm dreading the maths QTS tests atm, keep failing the practices I can do it just not quick enough! :s-smilie:

I got this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Numeracy-Skills-Achieving-Series/dp/0857258834/ref=pd_sim_b_7 and read it cover-to-cover including all the practice tests! The main thing with the numeracy test is things you've forgotten but once you've refreshed your knowledge you'll be fine! For me it was finding the shortcuts and conversions in the mental questions and when I'd gotten over that it was fine and I passed first time! You'll be fine if you revise and try to relax! I never passed the practice ones if that's any support! Good luck!

Just think, this time next year you could be setting up your classroom for your first class! :biggrin:
Original post by balloon_parade
I got this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Numeracy-Skills-Achieving-Series/dp/0857258834/ref=pd_sim_b_7 and read it cover-to-cover including all the practice tests! The main thing with the numeracy test is things you've forgotten but once you've refreshed your knowledge you'll be fine! For me it was finding the shortcuts and conversions in the mental questions and when I'd gotten over that it was fine and I passed first time! You'll be fine if you revise and try to relax! I never passed the practice ones if that's any support! Good luck!

Just think, this time next year you could be setting up your classroom for your first class! :biggrin:

That would be amazing. I just helped my friend's mum set up her classroom yesterday, did an amazing home corner...doctor's surgery complete with weighing scales. :smile: Would love to be doing my own in a year, fingers crossed! There's a long way to go yet though haha x
I am pregnant. :eek: Just about. :tongue:

Well, the shocked smilie is perhaps not fully warranted as we have been TTC (2nd cycle) - but still, seeing that positive test is a suprise.

Trying to balance allowing myself to get excited and being realistic that x% of early pregnancies end in miscarriage and being surrounded by pregnancy/childbirth related disasters all day at work!

Not telling anyone (other than DH - also being a pessimist after all the statistics I've scared him with!) is tough. Also he's about to go away with work next week so feeling anxious about being alone. When did you guys decide to tell people?
congratulations!

We told people immediately with our first two. With the third we planned to wait until 12 weeks, but I was showing so much that I think we only lasted till about 9 weeks or so and then told people because it was just obvious.
Reply 927
Congratulations Anon :-).With our first we told everyone as soon as we found out.The second time it was about 9 weeks in to the pregnancy,and that was because I waited that long to get it confirmed at the Drs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you Annie72 and PinkMobilePhone! :biggrin:

Period now officially actually late so feeling more real...

Been looking into a private early viability scan - so if things do keep ticking along may go for one of those at 7-9 weeks then consider spreading the news and loosing the Anon on this thread!
congrats anonymous personally I reckon those scans are a waste of money and make people worry more- relax now if there is concerns then the Nhs will scan you. I had scans weekly from 5 weeks at early pregnancy unit because of concerns and I must say that early until 12 weeks were internal scans and were not pleasant. Save your money for a nice 3d scan later on when you will see something. My kiddy winkles all well. Ella is being a really challenge wants to do everything herself so I have to allow about an hour extra for her to get herself ready. Owen is enjoying lots of solids but I fear has a sweet tooth as he is very partial to a petit filous or choc Heinz dessert haha. I have a new job working as a support worker done training last week hope to start soon with 25 hours building to nearly full time next year yay! Hope everyone is ok now I have tsr iPhone app I'll be able to come here more but as I have most of you on fb I keep in touch more that way now x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1349656755.894817.jpg Owen Ella today

UImageUploadedByStudent Room1349656853.589836.jpg

Original post by HerRoyalHighness
congrats anonymous personally I reckon those scans are a waste of money and make people worry more- relax now if there is concerns then the Nhs will scan you. I had scans weekly from 5 weeks at early pregnancy unit because of concerns and I must say that early until 12 weeks were internal scans and were not pleasant. Save your money for a nice 3d scan later on when you will see something.

Thank you. Now 6+4 and things still seem to be ticking along and morning evening sickness has kicked in.

I don't think I'm going to be able to resist the urge for an early scan as I have a few paranoias that it could exclude (ectopic or molar pregnancies :rolleyes: ) and I really want the % miscarriage chance to drop after seeing a heartbeat so I can be happier about the whole thing! Don't think I can hold on till 12 weeks and happy enough to pay privately for it - have found some clinics where the private work funds the research which I like the sound of.
The internal part will hold me back from having them unnecessarily too often I suppose! :tongue:
Less fussed about 3D scans as you'd be able to auscultate the heart or feel movement then for reassurance?
My current job is making me especially paranoid!

Ella is a really pretty name! :smile:
Glad things going really well for you :smile: 3D scans I think are more about seeing baby and their face. Not offered routinely on the NHS- I never bothered as I was told having a higher Bmi meant the view wouldn't be as good. I didn't get very good scans normally either. However I could tell that in 2008 with Ella the scans were of a lesser quality then in 2011/12. Thank you. I picked it when I was 14, big fan of ER and well that's where it came from haha. Owen was a name I didn't find until this year but stuck for a name was watching greys anatomy heard name and lived it! My theme is American medical dramas haha x

Btw what do u do for a living hun

Just found out I'm pregnant :biggrin:
5 weeks now, soooo excited

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Congratulations I.LoveSyria.Aleppo!

Original post by HerRoyalHighness
However I could tell that in 2008 with Ella the scans were of a lesser quality then in 2011/12. Thank you. I picked it when I was 14, big fan of ER and well that's where it came from haha. Owen was a name I didn't find until this year but stuck for a name was watching greys anatomy heard name and lived it! My theme is American medical dramas haha x

Btw what do u do for a living hun

Interesting about the scan quality getting better.
I love the name theme! Do they have middle names too..?
I'm a doctor :ninjagirl:

So - scan yesterday relieved some of the anxieties!

Spoiler

Reply 937
Original post by Anonymous
Congratulations I.LoveSyria.Aleppo!

Interesting about the scan quality getting better.
I love the name theme! Do they have middle names too..?
I'm a doctor :ninjagirl:

So - scan yesterday relieved some of the anxieties!

Spoiler

Congratulations :biggrin:
Congrats I love Syria! X

Anon I'm so pleased for you and I can imagine why you were anxious given you are a doctor.
Middle names are family names so Ella's are France's (my side) and Rose (partners side and her cousins middle name also) and owens are Daniel (my brothers name) and Christopher (partners brothers name) x

Congratulations to the new pregnant girls!

Anon & I.LoveSyria.Aleppo! :smile:

My little family are all doing really great! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest