The Student Room Group

Anyone have any 2013 UCAS regrets?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I applied to London South Bank....

I wish I hadnt now, its was just a wasted option as I never intended to go. I should have applied to Loughborough : oh well I have an offer from 1st choice so im cool :smile:

jay
I reject applying for London Metropolitan University. It's one of my reserve choices but I didn't realise how low its reputation was until recently when I was looking through these forums and also asking my tutor about it. The sad thing is I've already received one rejection from another uni and if things totally go pear shaped then I might have to go to LMU :frown:
Reply 42
Original post by thedarklord12
I reject applying for London Metropolitan University. It's one of my reserve choices but I didn't realise how low its reputation was until recently when I was looking through these forums and also asking my tutor about it. The sad thing is I've already received one rejection from another uni and if things totally go pear shaped then I might have to go to LMU :frown:

Reputation isn't everything though - if you like it and the course then it doesn't matter too much what others think. Yes, it may be harder for certain jobs, but as long as you get a good degree doing something you enjoy it wont be so bad :smile:
Reply 43
:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by arty
snap! I think my insurance will also be Queen Mary! I'm quite excited about the course/uni there - almost more than my firm. Not sure what'll be my firm probably Birmingham or Nottingham. What have you put as yours :smile: ?

I adore QM :biggrin:

Mine is King's :smile: Congratulations on your offers!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 45
Last year I regretted not being more optimistic. Was predicted AAAA and applied to 4 AAB Uni's and an ABB. Luckily for me decided English and Philosophy wasn't for me and am re-applying this year for History. Learning from my previous mistakes, and having achieved my grades have already received unconditional offers from Nottingham (my most optimistic choice last year, albeit a different course, this year my 'insurance' choice) and Exeter (a uni I was too pessimistic to apply to last year). Waiting on UCL, Edinburgh and KCL now.

This year I applied to 5 uni's I would be happy to study at, which sounds obvious but is a piece of advice I would seriously recommend. So many people (including myself last year) stick down a couple of choices that they would not dream of attending, but just to fill the space. I would say definitely have at least a couple of optimistic choices (within reason) - what is the worst that can happen?!

Good luck to all those applying :smile:
Reply 46
eyah two of my options big time :frown:
Reply 47
I regret applying to a pretty bad uni just because I didn't think I'd get into any decent unis (even though I'm predicted AAB). Now I have offers from two pretty good ones but can't apply for another one that requires higher grades now because I used up all 5 choices (even though I withdrew my application from the one I mentioned first). So yeah I'm probably going to go to a good uni even though its not really the one I want to go to just because I had no confidence in my ability...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by _Emilyy
I regret applying to a pretty bad uni just because I didn't think I'd get into any decent unis (even though I'm predicted AAB). Now I have offers from two pretty good ones but can't apply for another one that requires higher grades now because I used up all 5 choices (even though I withdrew my application from the one I mentioned first). So yeah I'm probably going to go to a good uni even though its not really the one I want to go to just because I had no confidence in my ability...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know the feeling. Didnt want to get completely rejected so I applied to LDN South Bank knowing that they would take me as my predicted grades were much higher then their entry requirements :frown:

jay
Reply 49
Regretting not applying to Bath/Exeter. My teacher told me today I was under-predicted. Should have been predicted A*AA and got predicted AAA. Would have applied to one of those two had I known and had been given the right prediction! Oh well- hoping to go to Sussex (my highest requirements) or Oxford Brookes (personal favourite). Haven't heard anything back from any Unis though, so I guess it doesn't matter currently! :P
I regret not applying earlier (I applied on 27 November) and I currently have no offers while all my friends have nearly all of theirs.. just makes me feel like no uni wants me :frown:
Reply 51
Original post by Oh Hi
Last year I regretted not being more optimistic. Was predicted AAAA and applied to 4 AAB Uni's and an ABB. Luckily for me decided English and Philosophy wasn't for me and am re-applying this year for History. Learning from my previous mistakes, and having achieved my grades have already received unconditional offers from Nottingham (my most optimistic choice last year, albeit a different course, this year my 'insurance' choice) and Exeter (a uni I was too pessimistic to apply to last year). Waiting on UCL, Edinburgh and KCL now.

This year I applied to 5 uni's I would be happy to study at, which sounds obvious but is a piece of advice I would seriously recommend. So many people (including myself last year) stick down a couple of choices that they would not dream of attending, but just to fill the space. I would say definitely have at least a couple of optimistic choices (within reason) - what is the worst that can happen?!

Good luck to all those applying :smile:

Mind if i ask what unis you applied to last year? :smile: And when you reapply, can you use the same personal statement?

I think lots of people seem to have this problem :frown: I would also advise people to consider leaving a space to apply to another uni later depending on the offers you get, really wish I'd done that.
Reply 52
applying to manchester, even though i didn't meet the gcse criteria, i was told it was an easy excuse to be rejected, i was told..
Reply 53
Original post by Cazza180
Mind if i ask what unis you applied to last year? :smile: And when you reapply, can you use the same personal statement?

I think lots of people seem to have this problem :frown: I would also advise people to consider leaving a space to apply to another uni later depending on the offers you get, really wish I'd done that.

No problem.

Last year for English and Philosophy Joint Honours I applied to Nottingham, Cardiff, Sussex, Royal Holloway and Kent. Firmed Sussex and insured Kent but was pretty sure before Christmas I had opted for wrong course, a worry which was later confirmed on post-offer taster days.

If you are reapplying for the same subject then you can re-use your personal statement - however as I was changing subjects I rewrote mine. It may also be advisable to update yours even if you do reapply for same subject; perhaps give an insight on what you're doing in gap year and why that puts you in a better position to attend uni.
I really regret applying to Birmingham as I knew I hated it from going to the open day, but gave in to the prestige and still applied just because they had a low typical offer...only for them to give me a higher one than usual :facepalm:

If it wasn't for the fact that UEA gave me a lower offer than usual i would seriously be in the lurch insurance wise, so I'm lucky really I guess. It's just I could've used that spot for an actually good insurance choice like Cardiff, or a riskier one like Edinburgh. :sigh: at least my definite favourite gave me an offer so I guess it's all good :awesome:
Reply 55
Only doing 2 A Levels I was really confused about choices, I felt I should apply to 5 of the lowest entry requirements to even be considered for a place. However I got predicted A*B so thought I had nothing to lose by picking 2 above my predicted grades, 1 equal to my predicted grades and 2 slightly below. I received offers from all of them and have now firmed the best university I applied to as they gave me an offer equal to my predicted grades. However I regret only going to one open day (my insurance) I could hate the uni for all I know but I'm pretty happy overall.
Reply 56
I suppose I regret not visting more universities, when my brother was applying he visited loads, but I only got to see Nottingham and Birmingham, although I have fallen in love with the campus at Nottingham, I wish I had seen more campuses such as Liverpool or Leeds.
Reply 57
WHY did i apply to leeds..... dont even wanna go there....
Reply 58
Original post by sammy93
I really regret not applying for Oxford or Cambridge, but you have to start applying as soon as you start an Access course, so I had no idea how I'd do. Now I've finished the term with 18 credits at distinction already, when the majority of the uni's I applied for only ask for 6. Kicking myself! Also annoyed I went for applied psychology over psychology at Durham, now knowing its in Stockton, which is apparently terrible. :frown:

Hello, I've also applied for Applied psychology at Durham in Stockton. What is so terrible about Stockton specifically?
Reply 59
Original post by Emre944
Hello, I've also applied for Applied psychology at Durham in Stockton. What is so terrible about Stockton specifically?

Apparently, it is a really rundown town with nothing going on. The campus isn't great; and not much goes on. This is only what I've heard, and I will go to visit so I can decide for myself. Makes sense though; typical offers for courses at Stockton are much lower than courses at the Durham campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending