The Student Room Group

Anyone have any 2013 UCAS regrets?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by JennaEmBee
I regret only applying to one uni (swansea), I had AAA at AS and am predicted AAA at A level, yet I have applied for English studies asking for BCD. would have loved to apply to unis elsewhere even though I know I can't leave home just to get a reply from a more prestigious uni. :frown:

Seriously....AAA and you applied for BCD..wow
My main regret is not doing well enough in my interview for the one and only chance i had... :frown:
I regret not applying to Oxford... I'd still get rejected most likely, but just for the sake of having a go. I had one choice left and no university appealed to me particularly, so I chose a bit of a random one. Might as well have gone for Oxford - booo! I'm also having second thoughts about my course. But I was sure about what I wanted apply for at the time of submitting my UCAS, so... meh.
Original post by manty
Seriously....AAA and you applied for BCD..wow

That's what my college said :tongue: The course when I looked it up was BBB, I think they lowered it for me because I'm a "mature" student at 22 therefore they want me there because statistically a lot of older people get firsts, or so I've been told. I have been with my fiance for 8 years since I was 14, it was his idea for me to come back to education as he thinks I can do anything and I can't even contemplate leaving him. Plus, a lot of my family are ill so even if I was single, I don't think I'd go very far. A lot of circumstances have led to the decision to stay home and in a perfect life I'd have had the chance to go away at 18 and live alone at a far away, more prestigious uni but life hasn't turned out that way. Still awesome though :biggrin: Not gonna let the BCD make me work any less though as I am aiming for the excellence grant, 3000 for 3 A's so I can get another car, wrote off my old one :colondollar:
I regret applying for a course I didn't meet the subject requirements for. (Admittedly there were a number of factors that led me to believe I was eligible, but I still technically wasn't)
Reply 105
That's what my college said :tongue: The course when I looked it up was BBB, I think they lowered it for me because I'm a "mature" student at 22 therefore they want me there because statistically a lot of older people get firsts, or so I've been told. I have been with my fiance for 8 years since I was 14, it was his idea for me to come back to education as he thinks I can do anything and I can't even contemplate leaving him. Plus, a lot of my family are ill so even if I was single, I don't think I'd go very far. A lot of circumstances have led to the decision to stay home and in a perfect life I'd have had the chance to go away at 18 and live alone at a far away, more prestigious uni but life hasn't turned out that way. Still awesome though :biggrin: Not gonna let the BCD make me work any less though as I am aiming for the excellence grant, 3000 for 3 A's so I can get another car, wrote off my old one :colondollar:

The excellence grant? is that generic? 3000 for 3 A'S? if so wish i had heard of this before :frown:
Applying to 2 unis, that I would have no intention of ever attending, just to fill the space and because I was under the pressure of time. And now I'm worried that I won't even get offers to the other three.
Original post by manty
The excellence grant? is that generic? 3000 for 3 A'S? if so wish i had heard of this before :frown:

My uni (Swansea) give you £3000 if you firm them and get 3A's, if you get AAB they give you £2000. Check on uni websites under bursaries/grants it should have a full list of all of them, I believe it's only if you firm them though
Applied to LSE only because of its name and prestigiousness since my parents pressured me a lot to apply there. Managed to get an offer, but realized later that I didn't want to study there... Makes me feel horrible every time I think about it...
Reply 109
My uni (Swansea) give you £3000 if you firm them and get 3A's, if you get AAB they give you £2000. Check on uni websites under bursaries/grants it should have a full list of all of them, I believe it's only if you firm them though

What :O that's really unique i think, lucky you!
Original post by mcdaniel
I regret applying to LSE. They offered me a place yesterday for Law, which is a great confidence boost, but I know now I don't want to study in London. My heart lies with Durham (which is where I'm going to go), I've just got to convince my parents that turning down LSE is the right decision (it's closer to home and closer to the big law firms, so they think it's the better option).

The big law firms care about whether you went to a reputable university, not geographically whether you studied close to their offices for three years. Durham would be just fine!
Original post by mcdaniel
I regret applying to LSE. They offered me a place yesterday for Law, which is a great confidence boost, but I know now I don't want to study in London. My heart lies with Durham (which is where I'm going to go), I've just got to convince my parents that turning down LSE is the right decision (it's closer to home and closer to the big law firms, so they think it's the better option).

I'm in such a similar position to you. Got an offer for Geography, just hoping my parents would be supportive for once and respect my decisions to go elsewhere...
Reply 112
Original post by jennzers
I'm in such a similar position to you. Got an offer for Geography, just hoping my parents would be supportive for once and respect my decisions to go elsewhere...

I hope they come round and accept it's your decision - my Dad accepted it when I reminded him it would be cheaper to be out of London! Where do you want to go instead? And congratulations on the offer anyway :smile:
Original post by senz72
Sorry, you've lost me. :/

... Erm you asked about how teachers could predict someone who achieved low grades in AS high grades for A2 ... Was just saying that's what happened to me and they were pretty close. It was quite simple!
Reply 114
Not applying for Oxford or Cambridge. Not because I didn't enjoy my time at Manchester because I did or because i was desperate to go there but simply because I'll never know if I would have stood a chance (especially as Oxford was in the habit of giving EE offers then- not sure if they still do this now)
I was predicted BBDU as a result of appalling mock results in a couple of subjects (A-levels in the early 90s so no A*s or predictions from ASs in those days!) I was going through some horrendous personal problems at the time and was not allowed to apply for Oxbridge by my school due to my predicted grades and their desire to maintain their high Oxbridge acceptance rate. In the end I pulled my finger out and got AAAB (B in what i wanted to study at the time) so probably still wouldn't have got in! Would be nice to know for sure though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have two huge regrets. First, I applied to Bristol university because I had the predicted grades etc. but I got rejected only two weeks after applying...!! I was in shock and didn't understand what was that wrong with me and actually I found out that I needed 7.5/9 in writing at my IELTS (english test) when I had only got 7... I never stood a chance! If I had known, I would have applied to Queen Mary instead, Lancaster or, I don't know, elsewhere... I really spoilt a choice :'(

My second regret is about my predicted grades. I filled in that part of my application with my referee (I'm applying individually so I had access to that part of the form) and I seriously underestimated myself. I thought that it was better to be extremely prudent but I predicted 15/20 at my french baccalaureate instead of 16... And it can make a difference since I'm applying to very competitive unis...
My referee's supposed to contact them to tell them there's a mistake in the grades but he still hasn't sent any email, and I'm afraid it's too late now!! :frown:
Wish I would've applied to Cardiff and Manchester instead of Kent and East Anglia for law. Oh well, would still have firmed Sheffield anyway!
I have the biggest regret of them all.

I applied to Econometrics L140 and Economics L101 at LSE, without reading the prospectus on either of them. A week later I get an email from the economics department saying that they won't consider me for both courses because they are literally the same course apart from 2 modules. And so I was disqualified from L101, essentially wasting a spot I could've used elsewhere.

:cry2: so much regret and feeling like a ****.
Regret not applying to LSE. Stupidly decided to apply to UCL even though I knew I was bad at the lnat. But I'm happy with my offers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
From reading this thread I've noticed that a lot of people have applied for unis but the 'low grade' ones. I'm going to start year 12 in September and id just like to know whether or not I can apply for multiple universities for optometry ? So say Manchester; Bradford; Aston etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending