The Student Room Group

Loans for UK students studying in Ireland

I'm headed to TCD (Trinity College, Dublin) in September (2013) and just wondering if anyone knows what most international/UK students do about loans - as the UK won't give a loan. I know my most of the tuition is covered by the Irish Government but what to do about maintenance etc?

Thanks for any info!
Reply 1
I went to Trinity College and was not eligible for any kind of maintenance grant from the Irish government or otherwise. It is possible to apply for hardship grants from the university but there is no guarantee that you will receive this. In second year you can apply to sit scholarship examinations and if you are successful then the university will pay for your fees and provide you with accommodation on campus - however these exams are very difficult and you will have to work extremely hard (prospective scholars are a competitive bunch).

I was lucky enough that my parents covered my fees and my living costs while at Trinity :rolleyes: but I was on a tight budget and still really struggled financially. Although still considerably less than in England the tuition fees rose while I was there and the rent was extortionate - especially if you want to live in halls/on campus. I also had a very difficult time trying to find a part time job, the competition was astonishing! I certainly recommend working during the summer and saving up if possible. You will find that a lot of English and International students at Trinity are very well off . . .

Having said all that Trinity was a fantastic university and I still had a great time. Let me know if you have anymore questions!
Original post by SuperInTheLoop
I'm headed to TCD (Trinity College, Dublin) in September (2013) and just wondering if anyone knows what most international/UK students do about loans - as the UK won't give a loan. I know my most of the tuition is covered by the Irish Government but what to do about maintenance etc?

Thanks for any info!

I'm from Northern Ireland and was able to get a maintenance loan no bother, as was my Northern Irish roommate. My English flatmate also got a loan although wasn't eligible to have the Student Contribution Charge covered. If you type it in 'other university' it should come up on student finance? My exact course wasn't listed there but the TCD office people didn't seem to mind.
Reply 3
Original post by Sweet-Caroline
I'm from Northern Ireland and was able to get a maintenance loan no bother, as was my Northern Irish roommate. My English flatmate also got a loan although wasn't eligible to have the Student Contribution Charge covered. If you type it in 'other university' it should come up on student finance? My exact course wasn't listed there but the TCD office people didn't seem to mind.

How generous was the loan you got? I'm also from NI, applying to TCD and considering going there.
Original post by CD315
How generous was the loan you got? I'm also from NI, applying to TCD and considering going there.

Pretty high, about £4500, so I don't have to rely on parents at all. Although my sister, with the same parental income as me and studying in the North, gets a grant. Halls is pretty expensive, but I share a room which is a lot cheaper so that along with my savings is hopefully enough to get me through the year.
You'll be applying for 2013 entry I'm assuming? Do you still get the contribution charge paid?
Reply 5
Pretty high, about £4500, so I don't have to rely on parents at all. Although my sister, with the same parental income as me and studying in the North, gets a grant. Halls is pretty expensive, but I share a room which is a lot cheaper so that along with my savings is hopefully enough to get me through the year.
You'll be applying for 2013 entry I'm assuming? Do you still get the contribution charge paid?

Ah, I see. Exactly how much are halls for a single room? :s-smilie:

Yeah, 2013 and I think we do. Which course are you studying?
Original post by CD315
Ah, I see. Exactly how much are halls for a single room? :s-smilie:

Yeah, 2013 and I think we do. Which course are you studying?

It's about £4500 for the year - a shared room is about £3500 and the single non-ensuite rooms (Cunningham House) are roughly £4200. They're not very central either unfortunately, so unless you want to walk for 50 minutes into class (and 50 minutes out again) you have to pay for transport as well (usually bus or Luas). They mentioned withdrawing it a while ago but probably haven't got round to it yet :P I study music education (BMusEd), it's a pretty small course... What is it you're applying for?
Reply 7
It's about £4500 for the year - a shared room is about £3500 and the single non-ensuite rooms (Cunningham House) are roughly £4200. They're not very central either unfortunately, so unless you want to walk for 50 minutes into class (and 50 minutes out again) you have to pay for transport as well (usually bus or Luas). They mentioned withdrawing it a while ago but probably haven't got round to it yet :P I study music education (BMusEd), it's a pretty small course... What is it you're applying for?

Wow, that's pretty expensive. Would the loan cover that?! Don't like the sound of travelling either :tongue:

Maths and economics for me.
Reply 8
I've just noticed how high (boardline impossible) the grade requirements are for A-level. I really want to study Geography but they've set the boundary at 415 to 565 and with the max a-levels accepted is 4 equals 3 A* and one A for the upper end or 3 A*s for the bottom end. Baring in mind I only do 3 A-levels with an E at AS I can kiss goodbye to any chance of getting in.

Do they stick to these requirements for British students or are they lenient? Plus they want an language other than English at GCSE which I didn't do.
Reply 9
Original post by Annuhlees
I've just noticed how high (boardline impossible) the grade requirements are for A-level. I really want to study Geography but they've set the boundary at 415 to 565 and with the max a-levels accepted is 4 equals 3 A* and one A for the upper end or 3 A*s for the bottom end. Baring in mind I only do 3 A-levels with an E at AS I can kiss goodbye to any chance of getting in.

Do they stick to these requirements for British students or are they lenient? Plus they want an language other than English at GCSE which I didn't do.

I don't think they're too lenient. It's very gruesome unfortunately - you're just a number in a list which is ranked when results come out. It's compared with the Leaving Cert I think - the high points implies the demand for places far outweighs the supply available.
Hi i found out you need Personal Public service number(PPS) to apply for the grants by SUSI ( student universal support ireland). I have a national insurance number but registering with it came out as invalid, i was hoping they would be same!! sadly not. Do i have to apply for PPS or is there any other way of applying for loans and grants without pps number ??? AND don't you have to come to ireland inorder to apply for PPS number?
Original post by blissfulapple1
Hi i found out you need Personal Public service number(PPS) to apply for the grants by SUSI ( student universal support ireland). I have a national insurance number but registering with it came out as invalid, i was hoping they would be same!! sadly not. Do i have to apply for PPS or is there any other way of applying for loans and grants without pps number ??? AND don't you have to come to ireland inorder to apply for PPS number?

You definitely need a PPS. Call the Department of Social Protection in Ireland and explain the situation, they'll send you a form to fill out. Make sure you have a (copy of a) acceptance letter from Trinity before. I deferred and so haven't got my letter and it's taking a bit of time. In the meantime, I would call SUSI and just explain the situation in case you don't meet the deadline... I have to say, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do if you're applying first time round and won't be officially accepted until August...
Hope this helps!

Do you know where your English flatmate got the loan? We've been in touch with Student Finance England who won't fund us as it's an Irish university...
Any developements on someone from England getting finance/maintenance to go and study at Trinity College in Dublin? Am applying this cycle but funding is a huge issue. Thanks
Bad news, I'm afraid. Both my roommate and I found no way of any funding (except our parents - and no idea how long that can last!). All the other Brits here are also personally funded. There's really nothing for British students except the potential covering of the Student fee thing by SUSI.
Original post by SuperInTheLoop
Bad news, I'm afraid. Both my roommate and I found no way of any funding (except our parents - and no idea how long that can last!). All the other Brits here are also personally funded. There's really nothing for British students except the potential covering of the Student fee thing by SUSI.

Thanks for the news, not what I was hoping for but better to know now! Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending