The Student Room Group

If your friend told you they created a fake boyfriend on facebook?

What would you think of them? Would it make you back off and think they were crazy or just sad/lonely/desperate?

One of my friends told me that the person she is in a relationship with on Facebook is actually a fake profile. She told me this last night when she was drunk. What happened was that we are in a group of friends, mixed boys and girls. She really had a huge crush on this guy who recently joined our group. She was crazy about him for months, and then recently he rejected her.

She said that the whole thing was really humiliating for her, since all our friends know about it and it is slightly awkward. So she admitted creating a fake profile to show she wasn't a loser and didn't care about the guy and had moved on.

I can't help but feel very sad for her, she must have been hurt. But is that the best way to show the other guy you don't care? I am a bit creeped out by it.
Reply 1
bumped
Original post by Anonymous
What would you think of them? Would it make you back off and think they were crazy or just sad/lonely/desperate?

One of my friends told me that the person she is in a relationship with on Facebook is actually a fake profile. She told me this last night when she was drunk. What happened was that we are in a group of friends, mixed boys and girls. She really had a huge crush on this guy who recently joined our group. She was crazy about him for months, and then recently he rejected her.

She said that the whole thing was really humiliating for her, since all our friends know about it and it is slightly awkward. So she admitted creating a fake profile to show she wasn't a loser and didn't care about the guy and had moved on.

I can't help but feel very sad for her, she must have been hurt. But is that the best way to show the other guy you don't care? I am a bit creeped out by it.

Yeah it's weird but I suppose I can see why she did it. It wouldn't stop me from being her friend. After all, it's relatively common for someone to say they have a boyfriend when they don't in that type of situation, they just don't tend to go as far as creating a fake facebook profile. Maybe encourage her to stage a break up with her fake facebook boyfriend in order to end the charade. The longer she carries on, the more likely it is that everyone will find out.
Reply 3
Original post by pinkbullets
Yeah it's weird but I suppose I can see why she did it. It wouldn't stop me from being her friend. After all, it's relatively common for someone to say they have a boyfriend when they don't in that type of situation, they just don't tend to go as far as creating a fake facebook profile. Maybe encourage her to stage a break up with her fake facebook boyfriend in order to end the charade. The longer she carries on, the more likely it is that everyone will find out.

She also told me she did it because she feels very lonely and feels as though everyone else is with someone. Also, she said that her fake boyfriend on Facebook excited her - like, the thought of him made her feel happy, just the fact he was there and could control what he did by posting fake messages. It's as though she fell for her own story and started to believe it.
Reply 4
that's a bit weird :/ but i can see why she did that, just tell her to delete it cos if other ppl find out it could get really bad
Original post by Anonymous

This girl at my secondary school did this. His name was Kevin.

In my opinion, she didn't really need to make a fake profile and it is weird but at the same time she probably didn't know what else to do. She could have just pretended she was fine without going to such extraordinary measures. Just tell her she should delete it.

Also, what if someone else actually likes her but won't approach her because her Facebook says she's in a relationship?
Reply 6
I wouldn't find it weird at all. If she'd done it for no reason THEN it would be weird. Chances are she'll 'break up' with him soon so that nobody finds out.

If it helped her get over the rejection then I can completely understand it. I guess it depends how she views it...a friend of mine once created a fake account to find out about someone who had been cheating with her boyfriend, but that was all it was. She didn't continue to use it once she'd found out. If your friend is planning to continue to use it for much longer though then you should advise her not to, if she found the rejection embarrassing then she'd be crushed if people found out about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saying you are in a fake relationship - fair enough, there are reasons. If they actually acting it out, it is very weird and I would tell them they are nuts :smile:
That's quite an extreme length to go to, so I would feel really concerned about a friend if they admitted to this. Rather than run a mile and deem her 'nuts' I would sit her down and encourage her to talk about things. You'd have to feel really bad about yourself and a situation to do what she did.
Reply 9
We knew a girl at school that we suspected did this.
When we still used myspace, she uploaded pictures of her 'friends' from outside of school and one of her 'boyfriend' but there was only one photo of each person and none of them were in photos together or with her, none of them seemed to have their own myspace page and the photos all looked very posed and photoshopped and perfect, as though she'd just got them from google.
We did ask to meet the boyfriend but she'd always make excuses and when we started pressing her on it, they suddenly broke up and we never met any of the friends either.
Then when we got facebook, she was friends with one or two facebook profiles that commented on /everything/ she posted and had no photos or information up and we suspected that she made them just to make herself look more popular because she was really difficult to get along with and was always causing arguments so even though she hung out with us, she didn't really have proper friends.

We all thought she was crazy and it just made it even harder for us to get along with her because she was lying to us as well as causing arguments.

I would tell your friend to delete the profile, it'll make her look bad when the truth comes out and unlike the girl I knew, she did kinda have a reason behind why she did it but there's a chance people won't see it that way and will just think she's insane.
I would be really concerned, and tell her it's best to delete it :h: if people were to find out it will be devastating for her, especially as making up a fake boyfriend suggests she is lonely enough as it is :redface: wouldn't want to make it worse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending