The Student Room Group

How's everyone feeling about starting uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by pak1994
Thanks, I'm just really worried now about meeting the offer, as I want to go there so much.
Stirling sounds good, one of the girls in the year above me goes there, and she seems to really enjoy it. Scotland would be too far for me to go though. I hope you get into Stirling then.
I'm doing Biology, Psychology and Maths A2 and also the EPQ.

I'm sure you will be fine, just keep up with the revision it should go alright! :biggrin: I have heard quite a lot of good things about Stirling so I am very excited about, distance isn't too much of a problem with me as I live in Scotland so only two and half hours drive so not too bad :P I don't really know what A2 and EPQ is but sounds great, I am doing chemistry Maths and psychology this year so quite science-y :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by JD95
**** scared even though where I'm (hopefully) off isn't too[i/] far from home. More scared about not getting on with flatmates or making friends than anything especially since I'm quite shy.

Also planning to come home regularly, and I know it shouldn't bother me, but I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was weird or anything because of that...

People won't think you are weird for that a lot of my friends siblings come home a lot from uni so I don't think it is much of a biggie :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by JD95
**** scared even though where I'm (hopefully) off isn't too[i/] far from home. More scared about not getting on with flatmates or making friends than anything especially since I'm quite shy.

Also planning to come home regularly, and I know it shouldn't bother me, but I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was weird or anything because of that...

Original post by CaffeineRabbit
I'm excited and terrified in equal measures. I can't wait to study a subject which I love full time as well as see a little more of the world, but I'm worried that I won't make friends, especially as I'm really shy and if I make my firm offer I will be on my own in a city I hardly know. I'm also a little worried that I won't be able to keep up with the workload.

With the whole being shy thing, you just literally have to talk to someone. When I had my interviews we were there for 3 days, and when I first walked into the room everyone was sat in circles chatting away, and being my shy self I just didn't know what to do, so I played with my phone a bit. I was worried that the whole 3 days would be like this. As we were walking along from a meeting after that time I saw this girl walking next to me, and forced myself to make just a little comment. After that I heard some people talking about a TV show that I watch, and again just made a comment to join in.

What I learnt from that is that if you are shy like me, you just have to force yourself to say something to anyone. You'll find that most people are friendly, and you get a bit of confidence from talking to one person, so it gets easier to make conversations with people.
Of course, I was only there for a few days, so it's not like actually going to university, but it has made me more confident that I'll make friends.
Reply 83
Original post by zbaxter1
I'm sure you will be fine, just keep up with the revision it should go alright! :biggrin: I have heard quite a lot of good things about Stirling so I am very excited about, distance isn't too much of a problem with me as I live in Scotland so only two and half hours drive so not too bad :P I don't really know what A2 and EPQ is but sounds great, I am doing chemistry Maths and psychology this year so quite science-y :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did guess that you might live in Scotland seeing as all the universities you listed were there. Not so sure on the revision front, seeing as I did just spend today with my friend going to Primark, Ikea, and a giant walmart sized ASDA... oops.
A2 is the second year of A Level, and EPQ is the Extended Project Qualification, in which I get to research any question I like in any topic area and write a 5000 word essay answering it.
Reply 84
Original post by pak1994
I did guess that you might live in Scotland seeing as all the universities you listed were there. Not so sure on the revision front, seeing as I did just spend today with my friend going to Primark, Ikea, and a giant walmart sized ASDA... oops.
A2 is the second year of A Level, and EPQ is the Extended Project Qualification, in which I get to research any question I like in any topic area and write a 5000 word essay answering it.

Haha cool, good job on the guess work :wink: :holmes: my revision today hasn't been too bad but still loads of procrastination :O oh okay so based in that I think in your equivalent I am doing an A2 in Maths and chemistry and an EPQ in psychology, working on my final assignment at the moment and it is steady progress :smile: except it is only 2,250 words in comparison to your 5,000 :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
To be honest even if you are shy, it doesnt matter cuz everyone is in the same boat in first year. No one knows anyone so its level ground if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Very excited, but scared about making friends.
Original post by eelnais
Very excited, but scared about making friends.

Making friends is honestly the one thing you don't have to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by Dami_O
Making friends is honestly the one thing you don't have to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so. I find it hard to make friends. :frown:
Reply 89
Original post by zbaxter1
Haha cool, good job on the guess work :wink: :holmes: my revision today hasn't been too bad but still loads of procrastination :O oh okay so based in that I think in your equivalent I am doing an A2 in Maths and chemistry and an EPQ in psychology, working on my final assignment at the moment and it is steady progress :smile: except it is only 2,250 words in comparison to your 5,000 :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's nice to know that I have at least some brains in there :wink: and I'm liking the Sherlock.
Same with the procrastination, hopefully that will die down a bit soon. I'm starting to worry a bit by counting how many weeks there are left to exams :eek: It seems like quite a lot of time yet no time at all.
I've handed in my EPQ essay as the deadline was last week, I think it was about 4700 words. We also have to do a presentation part, which is a 10 minute presentation to our supervisor and someone else, so I've just got that left.
I'm nervous about moving out, but I absolutely can't wait to do something more interesting than sitting in lessons with teachers who haven't the foggiest what they are talking about...
Moved out for my gap year placement so I think I've jumped the biggest hurdle of being away from home.

More nervous about the fact I've not studied or done any maths in 9 months. Might be hard to get back into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be much more excited if I could decide on my firm choice :rolleyes:
Reply 93
I'm a bit worried about keeping afloat at medical school - I've heard that it's a big jump!

Apart from that it's the whole making new friends and moving on that scares me. That said I really can't wait to move out and it will be really exciting! I know I'll settle in and make friends fairly easily but I'm still a bit nervous about it all

:biggrin:
Reply 94
Overly excited!
Reply 95
It's like the light at the end of the dark, dark tunnel of A-Levels :tongue:

It's an amazing opportunity, so I'm really excited, though as many have said here, also very nervous! Just need to get through these 5 months :biggrin:
Reply 96
Original post by naijaboyc
At first i was excited but as the months drop away i get more worried lol. Its exciting tho. Its like a good kind of worry. The only bad worry i have is the hideous amount of work i might have to do for law. Oh and not making friends with my hall mates lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel the same, where are you hoping to study?
Reply 97
Excited, but more about my A levels being over tbh
Reply 98
I'm excited and a little apprehensive!

I love where I live and study at the moment but it feels like time for a change. :sadnod: mostly it's just a fear that I won't get into my first choice.
Original post by music4life483
Really excited, but really scared about the changes. Moving out, not seeing old friends as often, making new friends, my stomach does flips every time I think about it! eeppp

hay don't be scared is a big change from home life yes is everyone in same situation yes making new friends sounds hard but as long as you don't send the first night in your room you should be fine I found a good icebreaker is always so where is home for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending