The Student Room Group

Debenhams Stockroom Movement Assistant Xmas Temp

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Muffie
I hadn't even thought of rearranging the shop floor and that seems so obvious. Are there usually as many stock checks around christmas? The cost of losing one or two items compared to the number of items you could have replenished and sold in that time doesn't seem to make it worth it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the stock assistants are responsible for putting together orders? I read somewhere that it's all done from a warehouse in Peterborough, but I don't know if that's outdated now as it seems a bit odd.

By keeping stock check records, eventually you can use that information in many ways to prevent stock loss in the future. By the way its not usually one or two items, it can be quite a lot, especially in the kids sections, because the small clothes make it fiddly to put the tags on.

The sales advisers are usually responsible for customer orders, that's because they on the shopfloor and move more contact with customers, its a pretty simple task, just have to put in the item number on the till screen, see if its in the warehouse and order it in.
Reply 41
Original post by smclellan91
I doubt it, I can't imagine we'd be responsible for deciding the orders, it's probably all processed elsewhere because it would be a big job and would be calculated by what's been purchased etc

I meant as in packing up and posting off things people order online, but thinking about it, the way you took it is probably what the article I skimmed was about and I took it the wrong way. Whoops hehe
Reply 42
Original post by Muffie
I'm definitely not expecting anything more than a t-shirt with a christmassy Debenhams slogan on it if they even give the temps uniform.

Do you know of any stockroom day to day activities they missed out on the job description? My advice from the phone interview was to find out more about that, and considering I'd already listed pretty much everything from the ad, I'm not really sure what I'm meant to be finding out :confused:

Also, when it gets closer to Christmas, even more new staff turn up, so you it can be a chance for you to show the basics, guide them and stuff like that.
Reply 43
Original post by Nerd2
Also, when it gets closer to Christmas, even more new staff turn up, so you it can be a chance for you to show the basics, guide them and stuff like that.

If I don't get this job, it was not for lack of your help :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Muffie
If I don't get this job, it was not for lack of your help :smile:

do we need to know about menswear :-/?? FYI Tomorrow I should be wearing blue trousers and a white long sleeve shirt so you will know its me haha and I have a fringe and dip dye hair (likely to be in a ponytail)
Reply 45
do we need to know about menswear :-/?? FYI Tomorrow I should be wearing blue trousers and a white long sleeve shirt so you will know its me haha and I have a fringe and dip dye hair (likely to be in a ponytail)

My brand notes have pretty much been just on the designers at debenhams, and the only one that really did much menswear of interest was Jeff Banks. I just kinda looked through the ranges and made notes like this:

"JEFF BANKS: Menswear only, Wide range of workwear and formalwear, accessories for every suit, casual polos- active? older
businessmen looking for variety in workwear."

Other than that, the only thing I can think to do is just memorise a few of their own/ concession brands that do mens ranges. I have no idea how I'm going to remember even a quarter of my notes tomorrow. How are you dealing with prep?

And the bright black hair should give me away. I'll be in all black and probably take a navy bag. I can't imagine many people in blue trousers, so you should be pretty easy to find :smile:
Reply 46
12 hours. The nerves are kicking in :frown:
Reply 47
Good luck guys! How unfortunate that we all seem to have it at the same time so can't help each other out :tongue: Hope we all get the job though :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by NiallD
Good luck guys! How unfortunate that we all seem to have it at the same time so can't help each other out :tongue: Hope we all get the job though :biggrin:

Good luck! I wonder if they'll get back to us all at the same time too...
Reply 49
Original post by Muffie
12 hours. The nerves are kicking in :frown:

Im sure it will be fine! What's your name by the way so I don't go round asking where muffie is haha
Reply 50
Im sure it will be fine! What's your name by the way so I don't go round asking where muffie is haha

Nothing wrong with that haha :wink: My name's Hannah. Yours?
Reply 51
Original post by Muffie
Nothing wrong with that haha :wink: My name's Hannah. Yours?

Sophie, just on the train now, bit nervous ha
Reply 52
Sophie, just on the train now, bit nervous ha

I'm not setting off for nearly an hour yet. Just think, it'll all be over with in 3-4 hours :smile:
Reply 53
Well that was a lot shorter and easier than I expected! It might have been because there was only 4 of us in my group so they scrapped some of the group activities, but we just had an ice breaker where we did a two truths and a lie game and then they took us off for our one on one interview and that was it, turns out I didn't need to do all that frantic research about Debenhams and it's brands last night :tongue: I think it went well though, I felt really comfortable with my interviewer and I think I came across well, I don't want to be too confident as last time I went for an interview I didn't get a job but I think I did a lot better on this one and sold myself better. He also said that if I don't get the stockroom job they'll consider me for other jobs and the restaurant assistant job in particular, and to be honest I'd probably prefer to do that, I just applied for stockroom as it was the only vacancy there when I applied :tongue:
Reply 54
Original post by NiallD
Well that was a lot shorter and easier than I expected! It might have been because there was only 4 of us in my group so they scrapped some of the group activities, but we just had an ice breaker where we did a two truths and a lie game and then they took us off for our one on one interview and that was it, turns out I didn't need to do all that frantic research about Debenhams and it's brands last night :tongue: I think it went well though, I felt really comfortable with my interviewer and I think I came across well, I don't want to be too confident as last time I went for an interview I didn't get a job but I think I did a lot better on this one and sold myself better. He also said that if I don't get the stockroom job they'll consider me for other jobs and the restaurant assistant job in particular, and to be honest I'd probably prefer to do that, I just applied for stockroom as it was the only vacancy there when I applied :tongue:

Yeah same, it was really short and they scrapped some of the group activities as there was only 5 of us, there was however only 2 jobs available. The interview was pretty easy, most of the questions you would expect really. I'm feeling confident.
Reply 55
You two should be glad you didn't get the group activity. We had 11 people and split into two groups. In our group of 6, two women barely spoke and one guy insisted on writing down what he wanted to instead of the group consensus. We split the presentation into 6 clearly defined parts. smeclellan and two of the others were great and then it went downhill. Keep in mind the other three of us to go were myself and the two non-contributors. The first girl starts her part, then the other woman cuts her off and starts trying to read my part! I prepare to read her part instead, and then the first girl cuts the woman off and starts reading that too and I have to improvise something on the end.

When it got to 1-1's, one of the first things the woman said was reassuring me that they'd been listening during the presentation planning and knew what had happened, so I'm hoping it works in my favor that I didn't kick up a fuss or join in cutting people off. I have no idea how many people they're hiring, but the interview went really well, so I am hopeful. One good thing about having the group activity was that she told me she didn't need to ask a lot of the questions on the interview sheet because she knew from the activity that I had a good understanding. I only had a few questions and none of them really asked about skills, but I made sure to bring them into my answer and she was filling the boxes up with bullet points on everything she liked from what I was saying and she kept saying "lovely" after I answered. It was very chatty by the end and we were talking about things like how ugly safety boots are and she gave me all the details about how to switch to a permanent position and what ones would be available that were similar. Fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by Muffie
You two should be glad you didn't get the group activity. We had 11 people and split into two groups. In our group of 6, two women barely spoke and one guy insisted on writing down what he wanted to instead of the group consensus. We split the presentation into 6 clearly defined parts. smeclellan and two of the others were great and then it went downhill. Keep in mind the other three of us to go were myself and the two non-contributors. The first girl starts her part, then the other woman cuts her off and starts trying to read my part! I prepare to read her part instead, and then the first girl cuts the woman off and starts reading that too and I have to improvise something on the end.

When it got to 1-1's, one of the first things the woman said was reassuring me that they'd been listening during the presentation planning and knew what had happened, so I'm hoping it works in my favor that I didn't kick up a fuss or join in cutting people off. I have no idea how many people they're hiring, but the interview went really well, so I am hopeful. One good thing about having the group activity was that she told me she didn't need to ask a lot of the questions on the interview sheet because she knew from the activity that I had a good understanding. I only had a few questions and none of them really asked about skills, but I made sure to bring them into my answer and she was filling the boxes up with bullet points on everything she liked from what I was saying and she kept saying "lovely" after I answered. It was very chatty by the end and we were talking about things like how ugly safety boots are and she gave me all the details about how to switch to a permanent position and what ones would be available that were similar. Fingers crossed :smile:

11 people, must have quite a few positions. I've had a similar group interview experience in the past,none-contributors ruin everything.
I should have mentioned that the Debenhams store I was applying for is the smallest in the country, the only one of it's size, apparently, so thus why there was only 5 people shortlisted and only 2 jobs available.
Reply 57
Yeah I think the one I applied for is one of the smaller ones probably, not sure how many people they're hiring but the fact that there was only 4 of us should hopefully make my chances slightly higher, the woman who I did the phone interview with said lots of people had rescheduled because of GCSE results so that might have been something to do with it, and apparently there was also 2 people who didn't show up so there was supposed to be 6 of us. I was the only male there as well so hopefully that will help me stand out :tongue: Although the only thing we did as a group was the icebreaker activity so I'd doubt they'd be taking that into consideration too much, it was probably based on how I did in the interview which I think went pretty well although it depends on how the other people in the group did if there's only a limited amount of vacancies, they all seemed pretty competent though. I'm hoping if I don't get the stockroom job then they offer me a restaurant assistant job, as I was talking about it with my interviewer and he said there's a low demand for that job and also I have experience of catering so I should be well suited to it, he said I wouldn't have to go through the application process again for it as well :smile:
Reply 58
I have my group interview soon guys, any advice? :-)
Reply 59
Original post by Muffie

Sounds like you had a good interview! Did you have the other lady I didn't have??? I didn't get any of those things said to me that got said to you so abit worried now ha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending