The Student Room Group

Tesco -.- Am I in the right or wrong?

I started working at Tesco Express part time this year alongside uni, I work two evening shifts a week until 11:30pm.
I recently used up my holidays and booked off 2 weeks because I have 2nd year exams and didn't want to be working till half 11 and waking up 6am the next day to commute into uni for my exam.
I'm into my 2nd week off and yesterday my manager phoned me and told me that I haven't actually got the Wednesday booked off because all my holidays have been used up. I said to her I haven't booked off any holidays and she said I have because I had Christmas eve off and apparently I also used up my personal day (which is basically an extra day off)

Thing is I did have Christmas eve off but I didn't book a holiday for it I just dropped my shift and gave it to this other boy who wanted to work Christmas eve. As far as I was aware that wasn't booking a holiday off because I myself found a friend colleague to cover my shift for me and then told the team leader whether it was okay for me to give my shift to him? Quite a few colleagues said to me 'you do realise now you won't get paid for that because it's not a bank holiday' I'm not sure if even my manager told me that...

Also I didn't book off a personal day from what I'm aware! I did have New Years Day off but that's because that's a Bank holiday so you aren't obligated to work that day anyway.

Anyway, she said I can have it off but I won't get paid for it. Do you think I'm in the right in thinking what I thought or am I in the wrong?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I started working at Tesco Express part time this year alongside uni, I work two evening shifts a week until 11:30pm.
I recently used up my holidays and booked off 2 weeks because I have 2nd year exams and didn't want to be working till half 11 and waking up 6am the next day to commute into uni for my exam.
I'm into my 2nd week off and yesterday my manager phoned me and told me that I haven't actually got the Wednesday booked off because all my holidays have been used up. I said to her I haven't booked off any holidays and she said I have because I had Christmas eve off and apparently I also used up my personal day (which is basically an extra day off)

Thing is I did have Christmas eve off but I didn't book a holiday for it I just dropped my shift and gave it to this other boy who wanted to work Christmas eve. As far as I was aware that wasn't booking a holiday off because I myself found a friend colleague to cover my shift for me and then told the team leader whether it was okay for me to give my shift to him? Quite a few colleagues said to me 'you do realise now you won't get paid for that because it's not a bank holiday' I'm not sure if even my manager told me that...

Also I didn't book off a personal day from what I'm aware! I did have New Years Day off but that's because that's a Bank holiday so you aren't obligated to work that day anyway.

Anyway, she said I can have it off but I won't get paid for it. Do you think I'm in the right in thinking what I thought or am I in the wrong?

If NYD was one of your contracted days, then you have to work it, unless you booked it off as holiday, as you get extra holiday time specifically to use for bank holidays.

With Christmas Eve, if you just gave your shift to someone else, and told the team leader this, then no, you wouldn't get paid for that day, it would go as unpaid leave.

When booking holidays off at work, usually you have to fill out a form requesting certain dates off. They then have to get back to you to confirm whether you have this time off or not.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
If NYD was one of your contracted days, then you have to work it, unless you booked it off as holiday, as you get extra holiday time specifically to use for bank holidays.

With Christmas Eve, if you just gave your shift to someone else, and told the team leader this, then no, you wouldn't get paid for that day, it would go as unpaid leave.

When booking holidays off at work, usually you have to fill out a form requesting certain dates off. They then have to get back to you to confirm whether you have this time off or not.

Thanks your reply :smile:

I'm pretty sure with Tescos you haven't got to work NYD because we get bank holiday entitlements, according to their handbook:

All staff receive a Bank Holiday entitlement in days at the beginning of
the holiday year, dependent on the number of days they work in a week.
This is irrespective of whether or not they are contracted to work on a
particular Bank Holiday.
Bank Holiday entitlement
If you join part-way through the year you will be allocated a pro-rata
entitlement based on the number of days remaining in the holiday year.
Bank Holiday entitlement days are to be used to take Bank Holidays off
that fall on a contractual day of work, if you do not wish to work or the
store is not open.
You may ask to work on a Bank Holiday if your store is open and take
your Bank Holiday entitlement by mutual agreement with your manager
on another scheduled working day.
If you do not have sufficient Bank Holiday entitlement to take off all the
Bank Holidays that fall on your contractual working days, you have the
following options:
Take the day as annual holiday.
Work your hours at another mutually agreed time within four weeks of
the Bank Holiday.
Take the day unpaid.
Volunteer to work the Bank Holiday.
Take your Personal Day (if eligible).

I didn't request to take NYD off, they just assumed I wouldn't work it.
The 'entitlement' not to work is, is within your holiday entitlement. As I said, you get extra holiday days to use for bank holidays.
Reply 4
The 'entitlement' not to work is, is within your holiday entitlement. As I said, you get extra holiday days to use for bank holidays.

But bank holidays entitlement is separate from normal holiday entitlement though? Because all I know is I had 4 days of normal holiday entitlement + a personal day. The bank holiday entitlement doesn't lie within those 4 days... or do they? The quote above suggests it doesn't.
They never explain anything useful like this on inductions, instead they go over pointless rubbish like smiling and 'making a difference' at work -.-
(edited 10 years ago)
It's because all this is contained in your employee handbook, which you're supposed to read.

Where I work, bank holiday entitlement is different as in the amount your awarded, but is included in your overall holiday entitlement. I work in a Supermarket as well.
Reply 6
It's because all this is contained in your employee handbook, which you're supposed to read.

Where I work, bank holiday entitlement is different as in the amount your awarded, but is included in your overall holiday entitlement. I work in a Supermarket as well.

Well when your manager seems to contradict what you think the handbook is saying, yes I wish they should go over it in the induction.

Yeah I know other places that include it in your holiday entitlement so you get some extra days but Tesco seems to have seperate bank holiday entitlements... Every business and shop differs. And mine is not a supermarket it's an Express.
It doesn't matter whether it's a supermarket or express, the handbook and policies are the same throughout the whole of Tesco.

Read your employee handbook, that will give you the answers you're looking for.
As has been said, read the handbook and get your manager to go through the holidays you've had and question any you're unsure about.
Hi for booking one day as a holiday.how many days before we need to request the management in Tesco. If any one know please let me know thanks
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Thanks your reply :smile:

I'm pretty sure with Tescos you haven't got to work NYD because we get bank holiday entitlements, according to their handbook:

All staff receive a Bank Holiday entitlement in days at the beginning of
the holiday year, dependent on the number of days they work in a week.
This is irrespective of whether or not they are contracted to work on a
particular Bank Holiday.
Bank Holiday entitlement
If you join part-way through the year you will be allocated a pro-rata
entitlement based on the number of days remaining in the holiday year.
Bank Holiday entitlement days are to be used to take Bank Holidays off
that fall on a contractual day of work, if you do not wish to work or the
store is not open.
You may ask to work on a Bank Holiday if your store is open and take
your Bank Holiday entitlement by mutual agreement with your manager
on another scheduled working day.
If you do not have sufficient Bank Holiday entitlement to take off all the
Bank Holidays that fall on your contractual working days, you have the
following options:
Take the day as annual holiday.
Work your hours at another mutually agreed time within four weeks of
the Bank Holiday.
Take the day unpaid.
Volunteer to work the Bank Holiday.
Take your Personal Day (if eligible).

I didn't request to take NYD off, they just assumed I wouldn't work it.

I don't think you are understanding Bank Holiday entitlement correctly. What that means is that if you work full time, you get 8 Bank Holiday entitlement days per year. You work much less than that, so say you get 2 days. If one of the days you are contracted to work falls on a Bank Holiday, then you can use one of your Bank Holiday entitlement days to not work. As most Bank Holidays are a Monday, you might run out of Bank Holiday entitlement days, and then the list the other options. If you decide to work the Bank Hol then you can use your entitlement day with the agreement of your manager, another time.

It seems like you were contracted to work New Years day, and so by not working, you used up one of your (probably only one or two) Bank holiday entitlement days. But you have calculated it in your leave allowance which makes you think you have 2 weeks leave left, but your manager doesn't calculate it that way. Just complete your leave and then when you get back, get your manager to explain it so you understand it.
Reply 11
Try to give at least two weeks notice as some managers plan rotas 2 weeks in advance. but you can give a holiday form in and they will have a week to get back to you. if they don't after a week you are entitled to take the leave you requested. but check up with your manger I'm sure they can do it for you. having been a rep, you can request single days off 100%.
Original post by pureicy
Try to give at least two weeks notice as some managers plan rotas 2 weeks in advance. but you can give a holiday form in and they will have a week to get back to you. if they don't after a week you are entitled to take the leave you requested. but check up with your manger I'm sure they can do it for you. having been a rep, you can request single days off 100%.

Hi, thanks for your reply but this thread is 7 years old! There’s a timestamp at the top right of every post :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending