The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Kater I'm sorry for your loss hun x

Anon 3 - any update? pregnant or not?

Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Right, for some reason I am unable to get in contact with any form of Health Visitor so I come to TSR to ask!

My Daughter is 5 weeks old tomorrow, and being a large baby at birth currently weighs a more than respectable 11'11 and being a wee bit greedy is insisting on 9-10 4 ounce feeds a day.
Given that most babies her age are having 6 3 ounce feeds, this is understandably causing a bit of hassle for my wife and I.

We were thinking of moving to "Hungry Baby Formula" to maybe reduce her demand, but I have heard that with some babies so young it can cause painful constipation and stomach pains and as she is a very windy baby already this is something we want to avoid.

Does anyone have any experience in this, any advice about which way we should go?

11-11 wow and I thought mine were big! Congratulations. She's very cute.

I assume she's already on formula and not breastfeeding? If she's breastfeeding there's no need to go onto formula at all, just tell your wife to keep going. Your daughter will get enough.

If your lass is already on formula, then it's a bit of a toss up. My daughter was breastfed until 2 months and she went onto formula as I couldn't feed her any longer myself.
We decided to put her straight onto hungry baby formula (SMA white) because she was a big hungry baby. She was okay on that but at about 5-6 months she got really really constipated. I'm not entirely sure that this was anything to do with the formula though as she had already been on it for a few months, so I'm kinda thinking there's no real correlation.

For an already very windy baby though, I'm not sure. You could always switch her onto the hungry baby formula and if you find it is causing her problems then drop her back onto the regular formula (again, that's assuming she's already on formula).

My update :

Nathan is 8 months old as of yesterday. It's staggering how quickly the time is going.

Here's a recent pic of my little sunshine :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1966696_477048592421974_615968549_n.jpg

I've made video montages of all three of the other kids now. I can't remember if I posted Lydia's a few months ago. Maybe, I dunno. I've gotten around to doing Alex's and Jason's now though too.
I haven't done one for Nathan yet, there's no point, he's so young it would be too short haha.

Lydia's :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=241sy2UF3WY&list=UUFk-APorciyQad150dsYHkQ&feature=share&index=3

Alex's :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FVre_rJaPY&feature=share&list=UUFk-APorciyQad150dsYHkQ&index=1

Jason's :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdzq279Wqg&list=UUFk-APorciyQad150dsYHkQ&feature=share
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Anon 3 - any update? pregnant or not?

Doubt it after MAP and didn't really think the "incident" was all that risky anyway (you don't want to know details haha but I was almost happy.. But not quite.. To just leave it to chance). So the odds are against it but not due on until next Wed.

Pill 95% effective if taken within 24 hours though so I think I can say I'm safe (but whether it's what I wanted deep down is another matter - got to think sensibly though).
Original post by Three Mile Sprint

My Daughter is 5 weeks old tomorrow, and being a large baby at birth currently weighs a more than respectable 11'11 and being a wee bit greedy is insisting on 9-10 4 ounce feeds a day.
Given that most babies her age are having 6 3 ounce feeds, this is understandably causing a bit of hassle for my wife and I.

We were thinking of moving to "Hungry Baby Formula" to maybe reduce her demand, but I have heard that with some babies so young it can cause painful constipation and stomach pains and as she is a very windy baby already this is something we want to avoid.

Does anyone have any experience in this, any advice about which way we should go?

I'd hold on and talk to a HV/GP/(even a helpline if you wanted) first because there isn't any urgency in making a change. There are also other well-known forums out there with lots of experienced posters - including one with a 'Feed the World' subforum and sub sections on breast/bottle feeding.

For what it's worth - I've stuck with the first milk (baby now 10 months and still partially breastfed) as things I've read have suggested that the hungry/follow ons etc. might be a bit of a marketing ploy because they can be advertised but regulations mean that the first types can't be (breast is best and all that...)

Also it doesn't entirely make sense to me - milk is milk - how would you get more calories in?! Or is the aim just to make them feel fuller for longer by having more 'filler' or making it harder for them to digest? Which is like the arguments that people sometimes give for weaning their 'hungry babies' early - perhaps it fills up their stomachs quicker or keeps their digestive systems busy trying to process but not sure of the nutritional benefit - milk is supposed to be easy to digest! Sometimes breastfed babies can go ages (days-weeks) between poos without being constipated because it is so easy/efficient to digest...

If babies are growing well on what they're on it's clearly working - so although frequent feeding might be inconvenient I'd go with it. But with bottle feeding overfeeding is more of a possibility than breastfeeding - do perhaps just keep the weight being monitored to make sure it's not going up too much and make sure you consider other reasons for being unsettled rather than just feeding as a default response.
So how is everyone doing? Any scan news etc?

I am 31 weeks tomorrow so feel that things are finally getting close. Plus just under 4 weeks left until maternity leave! Unfortunately most of that is going to be spent working in A+E which will be less fun :frown:
Original post by randdom
So how is everyone doing? Any scan news etc?

I am 31 weeks tomorrow so feel that things are finally getting close. Plus just under 4 weeks left until maternity leave! Unfortunately most of that is going to be spent working in A+E which will be less fun :frown:

31 weeks - wow it's going so fast! How are you coping? (aches and pains and tiredness-wise).

My little update is that Nathan popped another couple of teeth out last Saturday :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/1972333_488035167989983_2046370489_n.jpg

Like a little baby walrus lol.

So that makes 3 teeth in total now.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
31 weeks - wow it's going so fast! How are you coping? (aches and pains and tiredness-wise).

My little update is that Nathan popped another couple of teeth out last Saturday :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/1972333_488035167989983_2046370489_n.jpg

Like a little baby walrus lol.

So that makes 3 teeth in total now.

Not so much aching wise (the odd painful braxton hicks if I over do it but otherwise not that bad. I am however absolutely shattered despite having just had a week off work :frown:
Original post by randdom
Not so much aching wise (the odd painful braxton hicks if I over do it but otherwise not that bad. I am however absolutely shattered despite having just had a week off work :frown:

When are you finishing? I stopped at 35/40 & used up my A/L thus far - so pleased I did as it was really becoming a struggle with long days + commute + hospital at top of bloody hill. I think I was just about sorted baby-wise (although had a few work/portfolio things planned weeks 38-42/40) & perhaps with the removal of my stress response she took it as her cue to arrive early!

We are well - pretty confident little walker inside now and starting to do more outside now we have some shoes. Two bottom teeth through & first at the top pretty much too (emerging top teeth look so freaky!) but think some more on the way as soaking multiple bibs/day in drool, rosy cheeks & bit of a grump.

I am starting to think about TTC number two. :ninjagirl: (Hence back on Anon!) Any wisdom from Mummies-of-more-than-one about age gaps/coping being pregnant with a toddler etc.?
Original post by Anonymous

I am starting to think about TTC number two. :ninjagirl: (Hence back on Anon!) Any wisdom from Mummies-of-more-than-one about age gaps/coping being pregnant with a toddler etc.?

I have gaps of 22 months, 25 months, and 3 years 9 months. And I suppose all work fine really, though I have to admit going from 1 to 2 was the most challenging for me. You're suddenly having to juggle 2 kids which is hard - the first one is used to being attended to immediately, but suddenly you can't do that if child 2 needs you. So for me it was hard at first, but after a couple of months things start to click.

The pregnancy was fine though, Lydia was still having daytime naps when I was pregnant with Alex, so that helped a lot - I napped when she did! Once you get onto 3 kids or more, that becomes impossible.
Reply 1308
I'm 17 years old and have been sexually active for a while now with my boyfriend of almost 2 years, I'm on the pill and I have been for about a year and a half but this month instead of getting my period in my break week I have only had a very light amount of brown discharge. I did miss a couple of pills this month and I've been reading up about implantation bleeding or whatever so I'm a little worried that there is a small chance I could be pregnant, if anyone else had this or had a similar situation could you please she'd some light as I have no idea what's going on with my body as I'm usually very regular :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sians14
I'm 17 years old and have been sexually active for a while now with my boyfriend of almost 2 years, I'm on the pill and I have been for about a year and a half but this month instead of getting my period in my break week I have only had a very light amount of brown discharge. I did miss a couple of pills this month and I've been reading up about implantation bleeding or whatever so I'm a little worried that there is a small chance I could be pregnant, if anyone else had this or had a similar situation could you please she'd some light as I have no idea what's going on with my body as I'm usually very regular :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this calls for a joint baby shower. Lets call both our babies Bob.
Hey guys, I've been busy! Haven't posted in a while.

So I'm now 17 weeks a long and have told everyone. had the first scan and baby was bouncing around like mad in there, got the 20 week scan coming up on the 24th April. I've also felt some movements already but they're still pretty hard to keep track of - sometimes kind of vague and not that frequent - when do they usually get clearer/more like kicking/and more regular than once a day or so?

Telling people has gone OK; my dad and friends all seemed pleased, but my mum was really funny about it. She has issues (I suspect personality disorder and is also an alcoholic) and basically her first words were 'Oh! You're not are you?', the best thing she said about it was basically 'Well congratulations... if you like that sort of thing' and she spent most of the conversation complaining about how awful it was being a mother to me, how hard it was, etc. etc. and how my kids will 'do the same to you'.

Gr8.

Otherwise good though!
Reply 1311
Original post by Kater Murr
Hey guys, I've been busy! Haven't posted in a while.

So I'm now 17 weeks a long and have told everyone. had the first scan and baby was bouncing around like mad in there, got the 20 week scan coming up on the 24th April. I've also felt some movements already but they're still pretty hard to keep track of - sometimes kind of vague and not that frequent - when do they usually get clearer/more like kicking/and more regular than once a day or so?

Telling people has gone OK; my dad and friends all seemed pleased, but my mum was really funny about it. She has issues (I suspect personality disorder and is also an alcoholic) and basically her first words were 'Oh! You're not are you?', the best thing she said about it was basically 'Well congratulations... if you like that sort of thing' and she spent most of the conversation complaining about how awful it was being a mother to me, how hard it was, etc. etc. and how my kids will 'do the same to you'.

Gr8.

Otherwise good though!

Personality disorders can be very difficult. My wife's brother is similar (we think it's a personality disorder, hurrah for mental health treatment not diagnosing him for 4 years). Glad everything is going okay for you :smile:

----------------------(Post below isn't anything to do with quote btw lol)----------------

Just found out the wife is pregnant. Which wasn't a surprise, but was still a surprise.

I've gone from feeling super happy and fuzzy to looking things up online and finding out that early pregnancy isn't nearly so certain as I thought... Miscarriages are scarily common and now I'm just dissolving into a big heap of worry. I don't know how anyone manages.

Trying not to let it show though!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hanvyj
Personality disorders can be very difficult. My wife's brother is similar (we think it's a personality disorder, hurrah for mental health treatment not diagnosing him for 4 years). Glad everything is going okay for you :smile:

----------------------(Post below isn't anything to do with quote btw lol)----------------

Just found out the wife is pregnant. Which wasn't a surprise, but was still a surprise.

I've gone from feeling super happy and fuzzy to looking things up online and finding out that early pregnancy isn't nearly so certain as I thought... Miscarriages are scarily common and now I'm just dissolving into a big heap of worry. I don't know how anyone manages.

Trying not to let it show though!

Early pregnancy is just a lot of waiting - try not to let your worry get to you too much, and if your wife is generally healthy and does all the right things then hopefully she and baby will be just fine. Congratulations though!
Ugh, damn auto-ticked anonymous box.
Reply 1314
Congratulations!

I dunno that there are many 'right things' you can do to stop early miscarriages if it's going to happen..? They're often as things aren't developing right e.g. chromosomal or other abnormalities or no certain cause can be determined - although all the general being healthy advice (smoking/drinking/weight/activity/folic acid etc.) obviously won't hurt!

To be honest, I think being aware of potential risks is probably a good realistic thing - fact is that many conceptions don't result in a baby. We test so early these days - in the past people probably didn't even realize their late/heavier period was actually conception/'chemical pregnancy'.
Obviously you can take it to extremes... even when I had a huge bump/was in labour I somehow still didn't think there would be a baby. :redface:
Hey all! I ended up being induced early for sudden high blood pressure at 37 weeks - Callie is a week old and she's beautiful!
Original post by madders94
Hey all! I ended up being induced early for sudden high blood pressure at 37 weeks - Callie is a week old and she's beautiful!

A week already! time flies!
Reply 1317

Congratulations!

I have 3 weeks of maternity leave left... & it is mostly going to be spent revising. :bawling:

Wow, congratulations! Did you wait until she was born to decide on the name, or did you already know it?

I'm 20 weeks as of today, and I've got my next scan coming up on Thursday. Very excited about this one - I want to know what the sex is!

How is everyone else? Randdom - you must be pretty far along now, aren't you?

Ohhh congratulations! Fab name! Nathan was gone be Callista if he'd been a girl! How much did she weigh? How are you finding motherhood? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest