The Student Room Group

Girls, can i have your advice on texting.

I am an 18 year old male and id say that im decently attractive. Often when i go out to a club or whatever i recieve some female attention and sometimes this can lead to exchanging numbers.

My question is; When i text the girl after the night out (maybe a day or two later) do girls prefare the guy to be more forward thinking like setting up dates after a small amount of convosation, or to converse via text for a few days (weeks?) before setting up a date?
I would like to know the answer to this, as I can never get the timing right!
Original post by Anonymous
I am an 18 year old male and id say that im decently attractive. Often when i go out to a club or whatever i recieve some female attention and sometimes this can lead to exchanging numbers.

My question is; When i text the girl after the night out (maybe a day or two later) do girls prefare the guy to be more forward thinking like setting up dates after a small amount of convosation, or to converse via text for a few days (weeks?) before setting up a date?

I personally don't like being asked on a date after a small amount of conversation. I've met guys at parties/clubs before, they've text me the day after and ask me out and I have to tell them no not yet because I personally like getting to know someone better before going on a date. If you really like a girl you meet out somewhere, take the time to show her you're interested, trust me she'll like it haha. Then maybe once you know the jist of her you can ask her out?
Reply 3
Original post by superduper9
I would like to know the answer to this, as I can never get the timing right!

Its not just the timing that is throwing me off though! Im really not sure which is the current socially acceptable way to do things.. Like im guessing before texting ect was made so easy to do just asking someone out was normal. Is it normal anymore? :confused:
a small amount of convosation

Yes, girls love a bit of convosation.
Reply 5
Original post by Novascope
I personally don't like being asked on a date after a small amount of conversation. I've met guys at parties/clubs before, they've text me the day after and ask me out and I have to tell them no not yet because I personally like getting to know someone better before going on a date. If you really like a girl you meet out somewhere, take the time to show her you're interested, trust me she'll like it haha. Then maybe once you know the jist of her you can ask her out?

So, by meet out somewhere.. you mean like going for a walk or something? I feel the same way you do about asking someone out straight away but whenever i ask for advice i usually get the opposite anwser which is to be straight to the point..
So, by meet out somewhere.. you mean like going for a walk or something? I feel the same way you do about asking someone out straight away but whenever i ask for advice i usually get the opposite anwser which is to be straight to the point..

Oh no I meant if you like a girl you've met at a club/bar sorry. But maybe you could ask her to go on a walk through the park or meet for coffee. But like I said, personally from my own experience and experiences my girl friends have had, some girls like it much more when the guy shows an interest in getting to want to know them first before launching into something.
In order of preference:

1) **** her that night

2) if you can't do that, then give her your number, then if she texts you know she's interested

3) take her number, a few days later text her the name of a club and the time you will be there.
if she turns up, you've scored. if she doesn't, who cares, pull someone else.
I'd say like a week of conversation first then ask her the meet up, thats what I prefer
Reply 9
Text her a bit before asking her out. Ask how she enjoyed the night out, how she is, maybe talk a bit about what you're studying etc. Then ask her for a coffee sometime (during an afternoon). Its fairly casual, and since you've texted a little bit before its less awkward than asking her straight out.
a few days or so :yep:
rofl. Text her whatever when you want. If she doesn't like it that's her problem
Original post by heirloom
I'd say like a week of conversation first then ask her the meet up, thats what I prefer

Original post by samleigh
Text her a bit before asking her out. Ask how she enjoyed the night out, how she is, maybe talk a bit about what you're studying etc. Then ask her for a coffee sometime (during an afternoon). Its fairly casual, and since you've texted a little bit before its less awkward than asking her straight out.

Thanks for the advice, all of the female advice given seems to be along the same lines so this must be the right way to go!
Reply 13
Talk first via text or Facebook. Then you can set up a date when you think the time is right. Don't forget she is basically a stranger, you might find out she is really annoying after a week or so of texting :dontknow:
Thanks for the advice, all of the female advice given seems to be along the same lines so this must be the right way to go!

I think a week of conversation is a bit too long though. A few days should suffice.

I recently went on a date with a guy who played the timing thing well. Met him Saturday, he text me Monday, chatted a bit till Wednesday and then he asked me for a coffee that Friday. Meant that by the time I met him for a coffee it wasn't too awkward (we knew a bit about each other) but we didn't spend so long texting that I'd forgotten the 'spark' of attraction we had and saw him just as a friend.
As a girl, I'd rather that the guy asked me out again sooner rather than later. You get to know someone a lot better in person rather than after texting, so it's worth just going for it. I wouldn't want to waste a week or so texting somebody I barely knew.
I think it depends on the situation and how much you've already spoken to them. I went out with a guy I'd met on a night out and in that situation he asked me out on a date when I got in from the club (he had already suggested meeting up some time when we were out though) :tongue:
But in most situations, I think I'd rather text someone for a bit first to try and get to know them before arranging to meet up
Original post by perflous
As a girl, I'd rather that the guy asked me out again sooner rather than later. You get to know someone a lot better in person rather than after texting, so it's worth just going for it. I wouldn't want to waste a week or so texting somebody I barely knew.

I personally can be a little shy around someone who i've just met, so the texting first is the better option for me i think as it lays down foundations to progress from. But i understand that others would rather cut out the bull**** and get straight to meeting up and talking in person.

Original post by bumblebee342
I think it depends on the situation and how much you've already spoken to them. I went out with a guy I'd met on a night out and in that situation he asked me out on a date when I got in from the club (he had already suggested meeting up some time when we were out though) :tongue:
But in most situations, I think I'd rather text someone for a bit first to try and get to know them before arranging to meet up

When i've met girls in clubs i never really get to speak with them for long due to the loud music or them going with their friends to the next club ect. However i guess if you are with someone long enough during the night you can have a decent convosation so its not awkward asking them out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending