The Student Room Group

Gaining weight from cycling?

Hey! I'm a guy, 21, and recently i've gained quite a bit of weight. I've not got fatter anywhere, but could it be from cycling and gaining muscle maybe?

I've never been a mountain biker but my mountain bike always slowed me down when I was going along a road. I wouldn't go over 13mph (that's what my phone app said anyway).

I saved up quite a bit so bought myself a road bike. My average speeds are now around 20mph, and because I've been cycling much quicker, I've been going longer distances.

I've had my new bike about 2 months now, and I've just got on the scales today, and i'm 10.5 stone. I'm 5'8" and i've always been 10 stone! Can you really gain that much from cycling? Do you think that's all muscle? I love my new bike and so i've been going out on it a lot recently too. Before I didn't go out as much.

cheers !
Original post by 2scotty
Hey! I'm a guy, 21, and recently i've gained quite a bit of weight. I've not got fatter anywhere, but could it be from cycling and gaining muscle maybe?

I've never been a mountain biker but my mountain bike always slowed me down when I was going along a road. I wouldn't go over 13mph (that's what my phone app said anyway).

I saved up quite a bit so bought myself a road bike. My average speeds are now around 20mph, and because I've been cycling much quicker, I've been going longer distances.

I've had my new bike about 2 months now, and I've just got on the scales today, and i'm 10.5 stone. I'm 5'8" and i've always been 10 stone! Can you really gain that much from cycling? Do you think that's all muscle? I love my new bike and so i've been going out on it a lot recently too. Before I didn't go out as much.

cheers !

I wouldn't have thought you would have gained half a stone from cycling in terms of muscle. Does it really matter anyway? you sound like a strong cyclist and are obviously healthy so whats the issue?
Original post by MattBerry96
I wouldn't have thought you would have gained half a stone from cycling in terms of muscle. Does it really matter anyway? you sound like a strong cyclist and are obviously healthy so whats the issue?

What else could I have gained it from? I'm worried there's something wrong with me now!
Reply 3
Mate you've just been eating more...
Original post by a10
Mate you've just been eating more...

Lol, i've not got any fatter anywhere though!!
Original post by 2scotty
Lol, i've not got any fatter anywhere though!!

Half a stone over an entire body isn't really all that much. Especially if the change is slow you probably wouldn't notice it, unless it was entirely fat and you were previously very lean.
plenty of people around that age gain a little weight... it could be some muscle, it could be as a result of eating more, half a stone isn't much and cycling a lot would increase your appetite

you haven't gained much and you're not exactly getting heavy so I wouldn't worry about it
Simple answer is if you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight eat less calories than you burn you lose weight. Just eat less my friend. Cycling could cause some muscle growth but not that much.
I doubt you will have gained half a stone of lean mass from cycling. If anything you should have lost weight. Cycling is a will strengthen your legs but it won't add much mass. Certainly not half a stone of mass. Most of the extra power you get from cycling is due to an increase of your cardiovascular efficiency i.e. your body heart is fitter thus you can pump more blood to your legs and produce more power over an extended period. Your weight gain is due to probably eating more, but if you're not too fat and are reasonably fit why care?
Reply 9
Half a stone is nothing if you look fine and stamina is good then there isn't anything to be worried about you gain muscle from cardio aswell and it's probably your calfs and your thighs which have shredded some fat and gained muscle and also upper body which is a good thing, my weight changed from week to week I'm 5ft4 and at around 53-54.5kg weight is fine when it changed half a stone now and then shouldn't worry about it at all especially if you feel fine just make sure your eat your 3 main meals a day and drink plenty of water of your cycling regularly, cycling is one of the best cardio exercises to do alongside running and swimming etc .. Keep it up!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest