The Student Room Group

Leaving university - can i still get my maintenance loan?

To put a long story short, I'm thinking of leaving uni for good to take on a job at home. Do student finance know you've left uni or do you have to tell them? Also, what happens if you tell them some time after you've left?
Hi, I've moved this into Student Financial Support for you instead of News & Current Affairs. :smile:
Hmm...I'm assuming you should tell them asap and also assuming that they probably stop giving that loan out, it's for your university education and if you've left then i don't see why they'd continue giving you assess to it. best advice is to ring them up and find out
Reply 3
Apparently the university are suppose to notify SF telling them you've quit and SF will cancel any future payments.

However, my brother has dropped out of university twice and both times he got his money for the rest of the year...

Not sure he notified his uni that he was dropping out though.
Reply 4
Original post by k3ro
Apparently the university are suppose to notify SF telling them you've quit and SF will cancel any future payments.

However, my brother has dropped out of university twice and both times he got his money for the rest of the year...

Not sure he notified his uni that he was dropping out though.

Once they found out he left did he have to pay the loan back straight away? That's what I've been told
Reply 5
Original post by theman1995
Once they found out he left did he have to pay the loan back straight away? That's what I've been told

Pretty sure that's a myth. SF didn't find out until the next academic year when his university was like 'no he isn't a student here anymore' and then he stopped getting payments from them. Now he's paying it off like everyone else.

edit: so, to elaborate:
my brother didn't 'quit' uni officially, he just stopped showing up. So he failed the exams he didn't sit at the end of the year, and the uni kicked him out at the end of the year. Then his SF payments were cancelled. However, since he stopped going to uni in ~Oct and his exams weren't until ~May, he still got payments during that time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by k3ro
Pretty sure that's a myth. SF didn't find out until the next academic year when his university was like 'no he isn't a student here anymore' and then he stopped getting payments from them. Now he's paying it off like everyone else.

Spoken to SF and they said that if the university doesn't notify them that I have dropped out I am liable to pay any fees that I haven't been entitled to upfront. What would be your advice? Would you just leave it and see if the loan comes in January? I have a 1500 overdraft to pay off so I could do with the money
Reply 7
Spoken to SF and they said that if the university doesn't notify them that I have dropped out I am liable to pay any fees that I haven't been entitled to upfront. What would be your advice? Would you just leave it and see if the loan comes in January? I have a 1500 overdraft to pay off so I could do with the money

See the edit on my above post and you'll see why my brother continued getting payments. I'm not really in any position to give you advice, it's your call. :biggrin: Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by k3ro
See the edit on my above post and you'll see why my brother continued getting payments. I'm not really in any position to give you advice, it's your call. :biggrin: Good luck!

ah okay. I needed to actually withdraw from University to leave my accommodation thus get a refund from that. I'm in two minds whether to tell SF or not
It would be fraud if you didn't tell them. Whilst the uni may tell them, I wouldn't rely on them to do so adn would tell them myself.

I'd stop trying to use a forum to get some justification for immoral and borderline fraudulent behaviour.
The only moral and respectable thing to do is to inform Student Finance the moment you have quit your university. The clue is in the name, Student Finance, that the loan is intended for students only. That's the only reason you have access to such a thing - would banks give 18/19 year olds such loans? I don't think so.

Maybe you will 'get away with it' (by that I mean delay full payment of everything you've been given) but that is something you will have to make a decision about yourself.
Original post by balotelli12
I'd stop trying to use a forum to get some justification for immoral and borderline fraudulent behaviour.

Out of curiosity. Wouldn't he/she still have to pay it back even if the person didn't return it to SFE? Since it would be in their system that they paid the second installment? It's not like he or she is taking the money and not paying it back. SFE always wins.... Except their call service.

Which follows up with my bump. I'm planning to leave my university next semester but i'll probably will have to pay for the accommodation due to replacement issues. Will they understand about that? And will i have to pay in bits or full, with the loan, grant and everything else in regards to what i'll owe?
Why would you want the payment anyway? It is only going to add to the money you owe back and that is going to have inflation. Granted, the levels will be nowhere near commercial level but as you're a student your overdraft should be fine. There is simply nothing stopping you taking the job and then paying off your overdraft bit by bit in instalments.
Reply 14
Original post by TheJackFenlon
Which follows up with my bump. I'm planning to leave my university next semester but i'll probably will have to pay for the accommodation due to replacement issues. Will they understand about that? And will i have to pay in bits or full, with the loan, grant and everything else in regards to what i'll owe?

The date you officially leave uni is the cutoff date for your entitlement to SF. You can't get student funding if you're not a student.

If you have SF intended to cover you after that date, you will be expected to repay all of it, immediately. Any loans you had before that date would be repaid under the £21,000 earnings threshold rule.

SF will not care about your accommodation costs and they will not leave you any money to pay for it after you leave.

Sometimes it's better to hang on until the end of the year, going through the motions as a student, then just not going back for the second year. Depends on how closely your uni monitor attendance and coursework hand-in. You will already have lost a year of SF entitlement even if you leave during the first year.
So if the exams continued until mid March however final maintenance loan isn’t scheduled until the very end of April and between this time you drop out/ quit/ get kicked out (how long before SF find out from your uni?) because you sat no exams would that final instalment be paid to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending