The Student Room Group

foundation diploma (degree) funding?

hey y'all,
was planning on going onto university to do a BA hons course.
was told i need a foundation diploma to get in not just A-levels.
i was wondering if they offered loans when doing the foundation course?
Original post by mariaault
hey y'all,
was planning on going onto university to do a BA hons course.
was told i need a foundation diploma to get in not just A-levels.
i was wondering if they offered loans when doing the foundation course?

An art foundation diploma is considered equivalent to A levels. You therefore get funding the same as for studying A levels.

A foundation year is a university level course and is funded the same as other uni courses. The same is true for a foundation degree (a 2 year vocational degree equivalent to an HND).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
An art foundation diploma is considered equivalent to A levels. You therefore get funding the same as for studying A levels.

A foundation year is a university level course and is funded the same as other uni courses. The same is true for a foundation degree (a 2 year vocational degree equivalent to an HND).

This is NOT TRUE! An art foundation diploma is considered higher education so there are NO STUDENT LOANS. The course normally costs around £2000 but is free if you're under 19. If you want to move away from home and live in student accommodation you need to fund this and other living/materials costs yourself.
Original post by a001
This is NOT TRUE! An art foundation diploma is considered higher education so there are NO STUDENT LOANS. The course normally costs around £2000 but is free if you're under 19. If you want to move away from home and live in student accommodation you need to fund this and other living/materials costs yourself.

Foundation diploma is a level 3 FE qualification. That's why fees are paid for 19 and under but also why you get no maintenance loan to live off.

HE courses are level 4, charge fees around £9k and are funded through loans, grants and bursaries. Including funding for living expenses. Foundation years and foundation degrees fall into this category as do normal degrees. It is common for the three to be confused.

You just stated that I was wrong, misunderstood the distinction between FE and HE and then agreed with me.
PQ is, as always since it's her job, correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending