The Student Room Group

There are only three universities I want to apply to . . .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamY
Word to the wise - this is way harder than you might think! I've looked into it a few times, and apparently they're all overwhelmed with would-be volunteers.

I bet it is really hard to get a volunteering position there! How cool would it be, though? :cool:
Original post by AdamY
Word to the wise - this is way harder than you might think! I've looked into it a few times, and apparently they're all overwhelmed with would-be volunteers.

Original post by TheStudent18
I bet it is really hard to get a volunteering position there! How cool would it be, though? :cool:

I know, but it's worth a shot! Hopefully I will get work experience there as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I know, but it's worth a shot! Hopefully I will get work experience there as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope you do get a placement there, but don't be disheartened if you don't. See if smaller museums will take you on also.
Thanks. I know I would apply to The Queen's College! It's so nice! Do you go to Oxford?

I thought you were more keen on Cambridge?
Original post by Chlorophile
I thought you were more keen on Cambridge?

I honestly don't think I will get the UMS. I'll be lucky to get three As! And Oxford looks better to me, as there is more of a focus on Egyptology whereas at Cambridge it's HSPS. Saying that, though, Liverpool looks amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I honestly don't think I will get the UMS. I'll be lucky to get three As! And Oxford looks better to me, as there is more of a focus on Egyptology whereas at Cambridge it's HSPS. Saying that, though, Liverpool looks amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As others have said, you'll probably have a good shot at all of them at your current rate so I think 3 universities is fine. There's not an awful lot of point in putting in "token universities" that you're not intending to go to anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keep an eye on http://www.museumsassociation.org/find-a-job?ALL=&AREA=Volunteers+and+internships&REGION=&SORT=%40ascending+ma_con_job_closing_date for museums/archives that might be recruiting. MA don't allow unpaid internships to advertise with them.
Original post by PQ
Keep an eye on http://www.museumsassociation.org/find-a-job?ALL=&AREA=Volunteers+and+internships&REGION=&SORT=%40ascending+ma_con_job_closing_date for museums/archives that might be recruiting. MA don't allow unpaid internships to advertise with them.

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Has anyone applied to do Computing at Sheffield Hallam? Not seen anyone yet that has :smile:
Let me know!!
Thanks. I know I would apply to The Queen's College! It's so nice! Do you go to Oxford?

I'm alumni actually - I formerly studied the part-time, two-year Foundation Certificate in History at the Dept. for Continuing Education. This meant I was a member of the university but a non-matriculated student for two years, so I was not entitled to college membership but I had full run of all of the Faculty libraries, the Bodleian and the right to join student societies. As some had warned me about, cue the cascade of snobbery from many of the full-time Oxonians I met (some perceived sense that Cont. Ed. was a kind of 'back door' to getting in, or whatever), but by-and-large students based at colleges that I got to know were very nice about it and, as one would expect, were staggeringly capable intellectually.

Queen's is an awesome college. Would you have a second choice (though thinking about it perhaps picking two colleges is only for postgraduate-level applications)?
I applied to two universities. Only wanted to go to one of them. I've firmed that one.
Original post by Bude8
I applied to two universities. Only wanted to go to one of them. I've firmed that one.

What course and what universities?
What course and what universities?

Chemical Engineering at Bath (rejected from Cambridge)
Original post by Bude8
Chemical Engineering at Bath (rejected from Cambridge)

Ah. Oh well, Bath's a really nice place! Are you looking forward to going there?
Original post by SebCross
I'm alumni actually - I formerly studied the part-time, two-year Foundation Certificate in History at the Dept. for Continuing Education. This meant I was a member of the university but a non-matriculated student for two years, so I was not entitled to college membership but I had full run of all of the Faculty libraries, the Bodleian and the right to join student societies. As some had warned me about, cue the cascade of snobbery from many of the full-time Oxonians I met (some perceived sense that Cont. Ed. was a kind of 'back door' to getting in, or whatever), but by-and-large students based at colleges that I got to know were very nice about it and, as one would expect, were staggeringly capable intellectually.

Queen's is an awesome college. Would you have a second choice (though thinking about it perhaps picking two colleges is only for postgraduate-level applications)?

I've never heard of that! How did that come about? And gosh, I haven't really thought about that . . . Maybe St. John's or University College . . . I used to want to go to Christ Church because it looked nice and because bits of Harry Potter were filmed there . . .
I've never heard of that! How did that come about? And gosh, I haven't really thought about that . . . Maybe St. John's or University College . . . I used to want to go to Christ Church because it looked nice and because bits of Harry Potter were filmed there . . .

Why not aim for Christ Church? Great college.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the Department for Continuing Education's remit was or what kind of courses they offered, but once I did some research the foundation course seemed a really really brilliant fit. And so it was :smile: I start my new politics unit with the Open University shortly so that's gonna be exciting, too.
PM me if you want to chat in more detail?
I know! And thanks! My GCSE grades worry me. I got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B (Drama) in my GCSEs but I think this was under average for my school. However, I hadn't told my school about the fact that I have Asperger's (and possible ADHD as well but I haven't bothered to get a diagnosis) so I didn't receive support for this. I told them after my GCSEs and am now entitled to a laptop and rest breaks, which are both really helpful. Am I being too unrealistic for Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should definitely mention aspergers and ADHD as they are legitimate conditions and may help you with contextual offers. You have done brilliantly so far in spite of these issues, but they probably have an impact. It's good to let the universities know that you may need extra support too, academically or emotionally. Good luck ☺️
Original post by louisewestlake
You should definitely mention aspergers and ADHD as they are legitimate conditions and may help you with contextual offers. You have done brilliantly so far in spite of these issues, but they probably have an impact. It's good to let the universities know that you may need extra support too, academically or emotionally. Good luck ☺️

Thanks. I'm going to a UCAS day next month so I will have lots of questions prepared! Should I try and get a diagnosis for ADD/ADHD? :smile:
Reply 39
I can't seem to quote the user 'welcometoib'. When I try, it says the thread is closed? Egyptology is the study of Ancient Egypt - the various languages, its history, literature and culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps you should also consider Arabic, Archaeology, and Ancient History, if you can't get Egyptology. Try to find a university that offers combined honours in these subjects.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/inbrief/subjects/

Original post by PQ

I also found that one:
http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/museumstudies/JobsDesk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending