The Student Room Group

Am I The Only Girl Who Has NO Intention Of Working/Having A Career

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phoebe Buffay
You are brave. It's almost socially unacceptable now for a woman to say that she wants to stay at home and raise children. The feminists have silenced these women, they'll be coming for you soon.

You do as you wish.

Feminists have not silenced anyone. If you want to stay at home do it, if you want to have a career do it. Feminism is all about equality and giving women the opportunity to speak for themselves. So no, no one is coming after you because of the decisions you make as a woman, especially not feminists.
Original post by ilem
I take it you agree that men should also have the right to stay at home and look after the kids?

Definitely! I know a lot of guys who are/will be great dads. Sure it just depends on the couple and what works best for them :smile:
Reply 142
I haven't really thought about the future; all I know is I want to travel and become a teacher. I haven't thought about guys/children/family
Original post by Coben
I'm 22 now and it's slowly dawned on me that I have no intention of working/having a career. I find most work boring and I am simply not inspired by the rat race. I think I want to be a small business owner and a stay at home mother.

It seems with feminism most women just aren't looking to go down the 'small job, husband and babies' route anymore. Am I the only one who doesn't want to work...at all ?

Maybe a small online store or something and a husband and kids. Nothing more (?)

Anyone else ?

So unless you immediately hop into marriage, how are you going to be financially independent?
There is only one problem with that. Which is, that it may not work out in the long run.

Say you get married to a guy with a really good paying job. You can afford to stay home with the kids and not work. You miht be content for 5 years, or maybe 10 years. Maybe 15 or 20 years. Then what if your marriage isn't working anymore, what if you find out your husband is cheating on you? You will not be able to leave him and continue life on your own. You will not be able to get a job after sitting at home for a decade. You would be dependent on your husband so you would have to tolerate him cheating on you and he would never stop doing it because he'd know you will always believe he never do it again, and even if you don't, you can't leave him so he can do whatever he wants.

Maybe he won't even cheat on you, maybe he'll just leave you for someone else one day and then you will be out on your own, lost, with no money like some kid who got disowned by their parents.

Or maybe there will come a day when you don't want to be married anymore. What if you want to divorce him because you don't love him anymore or whatever reason but can't because you cannot financially support yourself?

This scenario happens ALL THE TIME. Most marriages end in divorce and handing your life over to someone is not a good idea. Women who have done nothing in their lives but sit at home are no different from children. They wouldn't survive out in the real world on their own. They're like heiresses who live off daddy's millions and live like children all their lives. You can get off your lazy ass and do something with your life, as everyone has to, or you can marry a guy and pop out some babies and be his slave for the rest of your life. Do not complain when your laziness backfires on you.
Original post by driftawaay
There is only one problem with that. Which is, that it may not work out in the long run.

Say you get married to a guy with a really good paying job. You can afford to stay home with the kids and not work. You miht be content for 5 years, or maybe 10 years. Maybe 15 or 20 years. Then what if your marriage isn't working anymore, what if you find out your husband is cheating on you? You will not be able to leave him and continue life on your own. You will not be able to get a job after sitting at home for a decade. You would be dependent on your husband so you would have to tolerate him cheating on you and he would never stop doing it because he'd know you will always believe he never do it again, and even if you don't, you can't leave him so he can do whatever he wants.

Maybe he won't even cheat on you, maybe he'll just leave you for someone else one day and then you will be out on your own, lost, with no money like some kid who got disowned by their parents.

Or maybe there will come a day when you don't want to be married anymore. What if you want to divorce him because you don't love him anymore or whatever reason but can't because you cannot financially support yourself?

This scenario happens ALL THE TIME. Most marriages end in divorce and handing your life over to someone is not a good idea. Women who have done nothing in their lives but sit at home are no different from children. They wouldn't survive out in the real world on their own. They're like heiresses who live off daddy's millions and live like children all their lives. You can get off your lazy ass and do something with your life, as everyone has to, or you can marry a guy and pop out some babies and be his slave for the rest of your life. Do not complain when your laziness backfires on you.

I think you forgot the 'small business' bit here. They can often be very profitable and provide a substantial income, as well as be rewarding for the person running it.
Original post by Coben
I want to own a small business so it isn't 'lazy'

Do you even know what a small business is? An ice cream parlour is a small business, running one is a full time job just like being a lawyer.

I'm ashamed to be a woman when I see people like this.
Original post by katebishop
No, of course not. Don't twist my words like that. I'm saying that according to the main ideas behind feminism, women should have the option to stay at home.

But for women to be able to stay at home, someone has to pay for them. Thats either their partners, or working men through the tax system (the vast majority of government benefits are paid to women - the benefit system largely exists to transfer money from men to women). To believe that "women should have the choice to stay at home" is essentially to believe that men have the responsibility to financially to support them. And this is literally what almost all feminists do beleive - look at the outrage whenever anyone suggests that welfare payments to single mothers (or child benefits/etc) should be lowered, or spousal maintenance payments ("alimony") scrapped.

Men do not get the option to stay at home with their children, and this is a clear case of both the law and established social conventions favoring women. To try and phrase it as feminists wanting "equality" is extremely disingenous - what it means in practice is that they want women to have the option to stay at home, wihle men pay for it.
(edited 9 years ago)
A small online business sounds good.. at least u will be kept busy not just physically but me tally too. But if husbands n kids are your only ambition
then Woah thats sad.. r u that fed up with life?
U will become mentally destroyed .. ur kids will make u crazy

also do u not want to earn ur own money n be independant on someone else. I mean ur a grown woman for heavens sake.
OP, I totally agree with your choice, in fact, I wouldn't mind doing the same. My idea of a perfect weekday sounds like waking up and spending time with family, investing time in myself, hobbies etc. Not waking up at 7 AM, slaving myself off only for the government to take 40% of what I've earnt and return at 6pm in the evening.
During my childhood, my parent's both worked their asses off for me and my siblings (mum is a nurse, dad an engineer). A lot of my childhood was spent with a child minder, and not my own mother.

For this reason I feel like spending time with your family is much more valuable than spending your youth slaving off at work.
Of course, if you genuinely enjoy your job/career choice, then all of this doesn't apply to you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 150
Original post by QueenOfSheba
OP, I totally agree with your choice, in fact, I wouldn't mind doing the same. My idea of a perfect weekday sounds like waking up and spending time with family, investing time in myself, hobbies etc. Not waking up at 7 AM, slaving myself off only for the government to take 40% of what I've earnt and return at 6pm in the evening.
During my childhood, my parent's both worked their asses off for me and my siblings (mum is a nurse, dad an engineer). A lot of my childhood was spent with a child minder, and not my own mother.

For this reason I feel like spending time with your family is much more valuable than spending your youth slaving off at work.
Of course, if you genuinely enjoy your job/career choice, then all of this doesn't apply to you :smile:

How would you afford to eat? :s-smilie:

I wish the Govt took 40% of my income, £185k salary would be alright...
Reply 151
Original post by poohat
Men do not get the option to stay at home with their children, and this is a clear case of both the law and

Eh? Which law(s)? :s-smilie:

Single dads don't exist? :s-smilie:
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
You are brave. It's almost socially unacceptable now for a woman to say that she wants to stay at home and raise children. The PRESS have silenced these women, they'll be coming for you soon.

You do as you wish.

Fixed it for you.
No, you're not. I must be the only girl who doesn't want to get married or have any children - because that's what everyone else seems to do.. Popping out babies, that is.:lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing wrong with that... but I think it's useful to have the means to earn and financially support yourself in case of a crisis. :smile:
Original post by Quady

Like everybody else does - from money :smile:
I want to be an entrepreneur.
Original post by Quady

What do you work,as if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 157
Original post by polpo
What do you work,as if you don't mind me asking?

IT Business Partner, although I'm not sure what the relavence is given my statement...

I chould be a checkout assistant, an airline pilot, or well paid accountant and have said the same thing. Not many people who get paid more £185k+ is there?
Reply 158
Original post by QueenOfSheba
Like everybody else does - from money :smile:
I want to be an entrepreneur.

And that doesn't take time? :s-smilie:

My impression was that being an entrepreneur sucked up more time than being a 35-40hr a week employee...
Original post by Quady
And that doesn't take time? :s-smilie:

My impression was that being an entrepreneur sucked up more time than being a 35-40hr a week employee...

It isn't the time that I'm worried about. I have no problem spending time doing what I enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending