The Student Room Group

People who have taken norethisterone!

Hi! So in august, I went to spain and my was going to start on the 28th/29th of july (we went the week earlier) so my mum got me the norethisterone tablet. I used the tablet for 2 weeks as I was seeing my boyfriend and we were going to do "things". If you understand me. So i started my period 2 days after i stopped taking the tablets and all was fine and dandy.

Now this is where I need people's help. I thought that my periods were gonna start on the 28th of august, but they didn't, so i stressed out for about a week until my mum told me that they'd start the day i started after I took the tablets. The day I was due was last friday. So it's been a week and I'm pretty scared. I can't be pregnant. There's seriously no way, I've thought of so many ways possible, but I can't think of a way at all. And the only two other theories is the stress I'm putting on myself from school and not being on my period. Or the norethisterone tablet, and I wanted to ask everyone. Answers would really help me :')

thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The question about the norethisterone tablet is, does it make your periods messed up afterwards? Like does your body try to get used to them so your periods go irregular?
Looks like the menopause. Have you considered getting a cat?
Reply 3
I'm only 15, I don't see how it could be menopause
Reply 4
Swells
The question about the norethisterone tablet is, does it make your periods messed up afterwards? Like does your body try to get used to them so your periods go irregular?

they can REALLY mess you up, dont worry, you'll be back to normal in a couple of months. everyone i've known thats taken them (including myself) has been really messed up by them. (i have no idea why so can't provide an explanation, sorry).
Reply 5
thank you so so much :') I was so worried you don't understand! It's really silly because when I'd got them, the doctor told me my periods would be regular again, but they haven't been, and I was worried I was pregnant, even though me and my boyfriend haven't had sex yet. But this has put a huge weight off my shoulders so thank you! how long did it take you to go back on?
Reply 6
Swells
thank you so so much :') I was so worried you don't understand! It's really silly because when I'd got them, the doctor told me my periods would be regular again, but they haven't been, and I was worried I was pregnant, even though me and my boyfriend haven't had sex yet. But this has put a huge weight off my shoulders so thank you! how long did it take you to go back on?

yeah doctors dont seem to realise what they actually do to people...
im really irregular anyway so it could take me as much as 2 months to come back on.
i went on norethisterone to try and regulate them once and they made my periods stop completely, i dont know what they do but i really dont like being on them!
Reply 7
Mine are abit all over the place, they start on say the 28th of one month, then it will be the 30th of another and stuff like that, sometimes there early, sometimes there late, and it gets annoying. But it's nice to know that other people are the same as me. I was looking thorugh posts to see if there was anyone the same as me and there was none and it got me all worried thinking there was something wrong with me
Reply 8
I understand you've got your answer now, and I know you've said you haven't had intercourse with your boyfriend, but it's important to bear in mind norethisterone has no contraceptive effect. So if he ejactulated when you were having fun and this went near you, there is some risk of pregnancy.

However, as PinPin said they mess up your cycle. Your body has a pretty neat way of chiming in at the same time every month (well, in your case, anyway! :P ) and this is controlled by a changing levels of four hormones. Norethisterone is a synthetic (ie. made in a lab) version of one of these hormones, so it works by tricking your body into not reaching Ladies' Day. When you stop therapy, it usually takes about three months for your body to get itself back into the swing of things.

If you want some peace of mind, have a chat with your GP, or find out where your nearest GUM clinic is. GUM clinics are largely very posh and chilled out now, btw! So if you ever need to go, don't worry. :smile:

And don't stress about being 'wrong' just because it's not all perfect. A woman's body is a very complex and well-designed thing, and it keeps you good most of the time - it's allowed to have a few bad days!
Reply 9
I have pcos and my periods were realy irregular sometimes every 5 - 6 months ish. Then I took norethisterone because of advise from my gp and consultant to make me have a period. I took it three times then stopped, its now a year and a half later and I have not had a period since - Im now completely more messed up than before!! Dont know if they will ever come back ha ha.

So dont worry, Im sure you will be fine and back to normal soon! xx
Yep they can mess up your cycle a little, should be back to normal soon, don't worry about it. :smile:
Reply 11
norethisterone ruins ur cycle u'll be irregular for a couple more months then things should start to settle once again
chloebee
I understand you've got your answer now, and I know you've said you haven't had intercourse with your boyfriend, but it's important to bear in mind norethisterone has no contraceptive effect. So if he ejactulated when you were having fun and this went near you, there is some risk of pregnancy.

However, as PinPin said they mess up your cycle. Your body has a pretty neat way of chiming in at the same time every month (well, in your case, anyway! :P ) and this is controlled by a changing levels of four hormones. Norethisterone is a synthetic (ie. made in a lab) version of one of these hormones, so it works by tricking your body into not reaching Ladies' Day. When you stop therapy, it usually takes about three months for your body to get itself back into the swing of things.

If you want some peace of mind, have a chat with your GP, or find out where your nearest GUM clinic is. GUM clinics are largely very posh and chilled out now, btw! So if you ever need to go, don't worry. :smile:

And don't stress about being 'wrong' just because it's not all perfect. A woman's body is a very complex and well-designed thing, and it keeps you good most of the time - it's allowed to have a few bad days!

:lolwut: that's virtually impossible! sperms die when exposed to air, so there is no way she can get pregnant that way, unless the boy friend put his willies into his girls area.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
I've been on norethisterone a few time now and my period always starts 3 days after I stop taking the pills. But I know my sisters took like 2 months to get back to normal
I took it a couple of months ago and my period started three days after I stopped. My next period was late though, it's probably normal after taking something that messes with your cycle.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
I've always been fine, but these things are different for everyone. Don't worry about it, and if you're paranoid about being pregnant, take a test or go to your GP who can do a proper one if you're worried.
Reply 16
Remarqable M
:lolwut: that's virtually impossible! sperms die when exposed to air, so there is no way she can get pregnant that way, unless the boy friend put his willies into his girls area.

Body fluids can be transferred if you use the same hand during manual sex, and sperm can survive, albeit for a very short time, outside the body. If a guy's ejaculate is on his and he touches a girl's vagina, there's a pregnancy risk.
After you stop taking norethisterone you start your period 2-3 days later. How long after would your next period be after the one when you stop the contraceptive?
I don't know when my period starts as they are a bit messed up. So can I just take Norethisterone when j think it's about the right time.. Will it still work
can i get norethisterone free from the doctors??

Quick Reply

Latest