The Student Room Group

cant stand religion bashers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YesAllMen
x

Heh, well and duly rekt :wink:

Have long tried with many of these kind of people; it doesn't seem to work no matter how much effort you put in! Of course though, thankfully nobody who is relevant to the field takes those opinions expressed to be worth consideration.Ham Sarris fanboys are absolutely awful, though i'm not sure if the other guy would be classified as this. Perhaps a ricky dawkins fanboy though (infer this from this nonsensical comment of 'joke of a discipline' which Dawkins said a month ago or something)

I suspect the reason he won't reply is because his knowledge outside these topics doesn't extent too much from what Dawkins et al tell him, but doesn't really want to admit it... :holmes:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
X

I know Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins are right because they are scientist and science is by definition the usage of the right methods to arrive at the truth so he must have arrived at the truth. Philosophy and Theology on the other hand I know by definition to be armchair baseless speculation, and it's not the right method to arrive at truth, so it's falSE!!!!11111

QED
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DeathGuardElite
Money itself is not evil, the love of money is the root to all evil.

I've never understood this quote given that it's so blatantly false. Plenty of people do evil things, such as serial killers, rapists, terrorists without a single thought about money.
Original post by Longshot700
Nope, it's stupid to you personally. And you feel the need to attack it because it makes you feel better about your way of life.

I can't help but disagree with this. The only reason I ever criticise someone's religion in a discussion is when they make claims of it being right - we simply don't know enough to make such a statement. I feel like they're being incredibly ignorant. How can you make a statement like that, but when questioned fail to back it up.

Now there are some people who can support their beliefs and state why they personally believe it to be correct, to which I have no problem. But than you have others who can't back it up and start trying to justify it through weak arguments. When I point out the flaws and it's painfully obvious they're wrong they just choose to ignore it.

It's not that they're religious that annoys me. Most just follow a religion because they were raised that way and when they encounter something that goes against their religion they simply ignore it or form a ridiculous argument that explains it under their religion. I hate the stupidity of that. It goes against finding the truth and growing. That's what annoys me.
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I can't help but disagree with this. The only reason I ever criticise someone's religion in a discussion is when they make claims of it being right - we simply don't know enough to make such a statement. I feel like they're being incredibly ignorant. How can you make a statement like that, but when questioned fail to back it up.

Now there are some people who can support their beliefs and state why they personally believe it to be correct, to which I have no problem. But than you have others who can't back it up and start trying to justify it through weak arguments. When I point out the flaws and it's painfully obvious they're wrong they just choose to ignore it.

It's not that they're religious that annoys me. Most just follow a religion because they were raised that way and when they encounter something that goes against their religion they simply ignore it or form a ridiculous argument that explains it under their religion. I hate the stupidity of that. It goes against finding the truth and growing. That's what annoys me.

If you say so.
Original post by Longshot700
If you say so.

Right. That old game.
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
Right. That old game.

Meh, Your opinion.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I've never understood this quote given that it's so blatantly false. Plenty of people do evil things, such as serial killers, rapists, terrorists without a single thought about money.

i've never understood it either i do however find it funny its misqouted a lot.
exactly I do enjoy criminal behavioural anaylsis
Original post by driftawaay
If I could eradicate one thing from this planet, it would be religion. It is the root of all evil. :smile:

I agree with you on that matey :biggrin:
Original post by 010197
Actually money is the root of all evil

No, it really isn't.
That's a fallacy. There are a lot of people who are very generous with their, money, albeit millions of pounds.
That is just a naive quote.
Original post by silverbolt
Because it gives people hope, strength, faith helps people get through grief, it gives people the fortitude to go on, it provides support for them and can give a sense of purpose and community. And im not talking religion here, I mean faith.

Faith doesn't have a monopoly on those things. You can't separate out faith and religion like that. The vast majority of people who "have faith" are religious. And religion, as we all know, has been and is responsible for immense evil in the world. If no-one who believed in God shared their beliefs with anyone else or let them impact their decisions, there would be no problem, but we all know that's not what happens.

The world is full of belief in the intangible.

Can you give me an example?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
Faith doesn't have a monopoly on those things. You can't separate out faith and religion like that. The vast majority of people who "have faith" are religious. And religion, as we all know, has been and is responsible for immense evil in the world. If no-one who believed in God shared their beliefs with anyone else or let them impact their decisions, there would be no problem, but we all know that's not what happens.

Can you give me an example?

1.I never said it had a monopoly. Actually yes can, there are a great many people who believe in a deity but choose not to follow a particular religious order. And great good has also come out of religion. Yes the abrahammic faiths (as the most well known) have done wrong but they have also done right as well.

2. You want me to give you an example of something intangible that people believe in? Are you telling me you don't know of one thing that people believe in with or without proof?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by robinfr
I seriously don't understand religion bashers the ones that don't really know anything about the religion and the people who follow the religion. I dunno it just gets on my nerves. does it get on anyone else's nerves

I am from a Christian background but I admit that I get frustrated by the likes of ISIS and criticise Islam as a result but then I meet genuinely nice Muslims and it puts it in perspective - nice people following their religion conscientiously. They are the sort of people that can stand religion bashers as they are peaceful people, but can't stand bacon rashers.
Original post by 010197
oh shut up that's your opinion

Your ridiculous generalisation, stemming from your own jealous is an opinion.
1.I never said it had a monopoly. Actually yes can, there are a great many people who believe in a deity but choose not to follow a particular religious order. And great good has also come out of religion. Yes the abrahammic faiths (as the most well known) have done wrong but they have also done right as well.

Like I said, the vast majority of people don't fall into that category, so the point's moot. Some good has come out of religion, yes, but there are ways of doing good which don't involve indoctrinating children.

2. You want me to give you an example of something intangible that people believe in?

You said "the world is full of belief in the intangible". Give me an example of something intangible, for which there is no evidence, but in which there is widespread belief.
(edited 8 years ago)

You said "the world is full of belief in the intangible". Give me an example of something intangible, for which there is no evidence, but in which there is widespread belief.

santa claus/saint nick/pere noel/La Befana. Hes intangible but children (and possibly some adults) believe in him most fervently.

That wasnt exactly hard and i dont see what you couldnt have thought it up yourself.
santa claus/saint nick/pere noel/La Befana. Hes intangible but children (and possibly some adults) believe in him most fervently.

That wasnt exactly hard and i dont see what you couldnt have thought it up yourself.

You can't be serious. :indiff:
You can't be serious. :indiff:

Why not? Its an intangible being that people beleive in. Not to mention a santa esque figure is widespread in many cultures (without being the widely accepted western version created by coca cola)

Fine.

Aliens. People believe in them but there is no widespread accepted physical evidence they exist. Ergo its an intangible belief.
Why not? Its an intangible being that people beleive in. Not to mention a santa esque figure is widespread in many cultures (without being the widely accepted western version created by coca cola)

Fine.

Aliens. People believe in them but there is no widespread accepted physical evidence they exist. Ergo its an intangible belief.

Let's not be disingenuous, here; Santa Claus is an intangible being that children believe in. Children are stupid. I don't say that in a mean way, it's just the reality. No mentally stable adult believes in Father Christmas.

There may be no physical evidence, but statistically alien life is virtually guaranteed to exist.
I think it is fair as religion often bashes unbelievers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending