The Student Room Group

**Hong Kong Non-JUPAS Applicants 2016**

Scroll to see replies

CityU Global Business vs CityU Law Vs HKU Economics and Finance vs HKUST Business School

Which one is the best???
thanks in advance guys!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by fedorahat88
CityU Global Business vs CityU Law Vs HKU Economics and Finance vs HKUST Business School

Which one is the best???

Which course for hkust?
Original post by CourtlyCanter
Thanks! Is that true for HK Unis across the board (just for biological sciences) or do some give out offers with even lower requirements?I'm assume you were thinking I was only asking about Biology at HKU. What is a typical offer for biological sciences likely to be?
Thanks in advance.

I was referring to HKU.

For the other hk unis, you would definitely get an offer and the requirements would be much lower, I would imagine it'd be in the range of AAB-ABB
Original post by thesmallman
Which course for hkust?

The basic entry to business and management school, in which you get one year to explore your options.
Applying for Social Science at HKU and CUHK hopefully, then following the pathway to psychology :smile:

Which one is the best???

UST Global business
HKU IBGM
HKU E&F
HKU BBA
UST BBA
City Law

But what do you even mean by 'best'? I'm ranking these based on 'prestige'.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
UST Global business
HKU IBGM
HKU E&F
HKU BBA
UST BBA
City Law

But what do you even mean by 'best'? I'm ranking these based on 'prestige'.

Like which one would be easier to get a good high paying job in ? Like my friend (who graduated from UST and now works in CONVOY) told me that firms employ the candidates with the highest marks from each uni, thus, deeming rankings as useless. But I have an A*AB right now and I am on a gap year, in which I hope to notch it upto A*A*A*.
Like which one would be easier to get a good high paying job in ? Like my friend (who graduated from UST and now works in CONVOY) told me that firms employ the candidates with the highest marks from each uni, thus, deeming rankings as useless. But I have an A*AB right now and I am on a gap year, in which I hope to notch it upto A*A*A*.

If that is the case, there wouldn't be a big difference among the salary of universities. The truth is if you're not from the Big Three, you have next to no chance to work in big companies.

None of these is a guarantee for a high-paying job actually. Medicine, dentistry, education, nursing are the disciplines to go for if you want that. Global business/IBGM are better than any other BBA but that's not saying much, E&F fluctuates a lot, and with law you're more likely than not to not be a lawyer in the end.
If that is the case, there wouldn't be a big difference among the salary of universities. The truth is if you're not from the Big Three, you have next to no chance to work in big companies.

None of these is a guarantee for a high-paying job actually. Medicine, dentistry, education, nursing are the disciplines to go for if you want that. Global business/IBGM are better than any other BBA but that's not saying much, E&F fluctuates a lot, and with law you're more likely than not to not be a lawyer in the end.

How about a JD after a degree of Economics and Finance from any three (U, UST and CUHK right???). I want to become an investment banker/lawyer/accountant. Actually this year I had a conditional for CUHK law and failed to make it. It was AAA. However, they offered me a place in their Accounting but I declined because I was not really desperate and sure about it. Do u think it was a wise decision?? Moreover, I think I am alright with numbers plus I want to meet new people on a daily basis thats why I want to be either a banker or lawyer or accountant. So what is your opionion? WHich degree should i pursue???
How about a JD after a degree of Economics and Finance from any three (U, UST and CUHK right???). I want to become an investment banker/lawyer/accountant. Actually this year I had a conditional for CUHK law and failed to make it. It was AAA. However, they offered me a place in their Accounting but I declined because I was not really desperate and sure about it. Do u think it was a wise decision?? Moreover, I think I am alright with numbers plus I want to meet new people on a daily basis thats why I want to be either a banker or lawyer or accountant. So what is your opionion? WHich degree should i pursue???

If you want to be an i-banker, Big Three is an absolute minimum, but graduating from Hong Kong is in itself a disadvantage. They'd like a top university internationally, and you will need to have done an internship. I know personally someone who did his whilst reading quantitative finance at HKU. But you don't have to study anything in particular in get into one, especially if you've got connections.

It's difficult to become a lawyer whichever route you take. You need to get a good enough grade to even be eligible for PCLL, and it's the same with LLB, JD, or for an overseas graduate. Law in general is better with a conversion course than with an LLB though, as an LLB takes a lot of time to finish. But there's no reason why they'd favour a JD over an LLB when a JD is essentially a graduate bachelor's degree for people with no background in law whatsoever. This is without saying the legal field is almost with everyone graduating from HKU, Oxbridge, and the University of Law.

You don't have to study anything in particular to be an auditor. Accountancy is not really that professional and the firms take in graduates from all disciplines. The only advantage you'd get with an accountancy degree is to be potentially exempted from the initial training, which would last for several weeks. Even then I don't see how that'd be an advantage when you could've avoided working whilst still getting paid. In the UK, they have been taking in even school-leavers because as a junior auditor, there's practically no skills you need to have before starting. Whether you become an actual accountant (CPA - Certified Public Accountant) has absolutely nothing to do with your degree, or whether you have one. You would work as an auditor for a couple of years while going for the examinations for the qualification. Some people keep failing, some people pass their first time around. But I don't see why you'd want to become an accountant - it's probably one of the worst jobs in the world. Even though it's masked as a 'professional job', you'd spend much of your day doing nothing (your work comes in the afternoon or the evening for obvious reason), and lots of photocopying and random work that doesn't require anyone with half a brain. You get paid horribly, both in terms of starting salary (below average even for a BBA, which in itself averaged below the overall average) and for progression. This is without mentioning the fact that you have ridiculous long hours because of all the work coming in later in the work day while the job being very unstable - one of the firms sacked literally all of their middle management to save costs a few years ago, and many people also had to go to work either on no salary or half salary. And unlike being a doctor, you get progressively more work as you go because you'd need to check everything submitted to you from the more junior people, In HK, many auditors have the goal to quit after getting the CPA, which is silly - who would care about a CPA if not an accounting firm and/or an accountancy job? With that said, people have different things they like doing so perhaps you can try the job out with an internship first.

If you want to earn big money in finance in HK, don't attend a HK university. Go to Oxbridge or London. If that isn't an option, I suppose Global business/IBGM would be the best option.
If you want to be an i-banker, Big Three is an absolute minimum, but graduating from Hong Kong is in itself a disadvantage. They'd like a top university internationally, and you will need to have done an internship. I know personally someone who did his whilst reading quantitative finance at HKU. But you don't have to study anything in particular in get into one, especially if you've got connections.

It's difficult to become a lawyer whichever route you take. You need to get a good enough grade to even be eligible for PCLL, and it's the same with LLB, JD, or for an overseas graduate. Law in general is better with a conversion course than with an LLB though, as an LLB takes a lot of time to finish. But there's no reason why they'd favour a JD over an LLB when a JD is essentially a graduate bachelor's degree for people with no background in law whatsoever. This is without saying the legal field is almost with everyone graduating from HKU, Oxbridge, and the University of Law.

You don't have to study anything in particular to be an auditor. Accountancy is not really that professional and the firms take in graduates from all disciplines. The only advantage you'd get with an accountancy degree is to be potentially exempted from the initial training, which would last for several weeks. Even then I don't see how that'd be an advantage when you could've avoided working whilst still getting paid. In the UK, they have been taking in even school-leavers because as a junior auditor, there's practically no skills you need to have before starting. Whether you become an actual accountant (CPA - Certified Public Accountant) has absolutely nothing to do with your degree, or whether you have one. You would work as an auditor for a couple of years while going for the examinations for the qualification. Some people keep failing, some people pass their first time around. But I don't see why you'd want to become an accountant - it's probably one of the worst jobs in the world. Even though it's masked as a 'professional job', you'd spend much of your day doing nothing (your work comes in the afternoon or the evening for obvious reason), and lots of photocopying and random work that doesn't require anyone with half a brain. You get paid horribly, both in terms of starting salary (below average even for a BBA, which in itself averaged below the overall average) and for progression. This is without mentioning the fact that you have ridiculous long hours because of all the work coming in later in the work day while the job being very unstable - one of the firms sacked literally all of their middle management to save costs a few years ago, and many people also had to go to work either on no salary or half salary. And unlike being a doctor, you get progressively more work as you go because you'd need to check everything submitted to you from the more junior people, In HK, many auditors have the goal to quit after getting the CPA, which is silly - who would care about a CPA if not an accounting firm and/or an accountancy job? With that said, people have different things they like doing so perhaps you can try the job out with an internship first.

If you want to earn big money in finance in HK, don't attend a HK university. Go to Oxbridge or London. If that isn't an option, I suppose Global business/IBGM would be the best option.

How about a post grad degree from either oxbridge or international unis in that league and then come to Hong Kong ?????
How about a post grad degree from either oxbridge or international unis in that league and then come to Hong Kong ?????

OK but you cannot really get an internship with a postgraduate degree. Your degree/university opens the door, but the internship is what's giving you the job (unless you already have a connection).

As for law, you still need to be able to get into PCLL to practise in Hong Kong, even for Oxford's Dean of Law, the Secretary for Justice, or a Supreme Court Judge. But I do know plenty of people getting a BCL from Oxford after an LLB from CityU before a PCLL.

What about other jobs that E&F grads get? How well do they fare?
You seem to know a fair bunch about this so it would be helpful...
I don't trust uni employment statistics, I never trust them :P
Original post by Baalaje31
What about other jobs that E&F grads get? How well do they fare?
You seem to know a fair bunch about this so it would be helpful...
I don't trust uni employment statistics, I never trust them :P

There are so many E&F grads I don't think you can generalise it.

There's nothing wrong with employment statistics, and from them you can see that the employment prospects are overstated. I don't have access to the most up-to-date numbers, but the average salary is higher than the median, meaning few people who earn a lot pull the average up, and most people actually earn less than the average. The average in itself is lower than many disciplines already.

I know E&F has a lot of mainland students and they tend to be the ones with the best grades. I don't know where they go. If you're just thinking of being employed though, I don't think that's a problem at the moment. Everyone gets employed here.

There's nothing wrong with employment statistics, and from them you can see that the employment prospects are overstated. I don't have access to the most up-to-date numbers, but the average salary is higher than the median, meaning few people who earn a lot pull the average up, and most people actually earn less than the average. The average in itself is lower than many disciplines already.

I know E&F has a lot of mainland students and they tend to be the ones with the best grades. I don't know where they go. If you're just thinking of being employed though, I don't think that's a problem at the moment. Everyone gets employed here.

Omg , thats what my friends at uni tell me, that I have a very low chance of getting a good gpa in Economics and Finance in any uni I go because Mainlanders are there kicking asssssss............

Which degree did you pursue ??? And do you know the CUHK course GLOBAL Economics and FInance?? Does it accept A*AB candidates??? Like in NON - JUPAS ????
Original post by Baalaje31
Okay, another person like me. Somewhat really...
I got into HKU E&F last year, conditional A*A*A. But my scholarship was A*A*A*A and I missed that out. So now I'm retaking two subjects to hit that 3A*1A and get that scholarship coz I have limited funds for uni.

AW man, unintended gap year here too, I hope we get in next year. What were your subjects?
Mine were
GEO A*
MATHS A
ENGLISH B
and I hate english.
Which degree did you pursue ??? And do you know the CUHK course GLOBAL Economics and FInance?? Does it accept A*AB candidates??? Like in NON - JUPAS ????

I didn't do a business one but my best friend and many of my friends did. One of my former flatmates who did E&F always complained about how the Top 80 students are from mainland China or something.

I don't know about CUHK's global E&F. Or do you mean IBBA?
Omg , thats what my friends at uni tell me, that I have a very low chance of getting a good gpa in Economics and Finance in any uni I go because Mainlanders are there kicking asssssss............

I don't have the statistics nor do I work for them so I don't know if that's true. But that is indeed what everybody who does E&F seem to be saying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending