The Student Room Group

Being Gay at School.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katty3
Hopefully he should be banned soon.

Song for the moment f*** you, Lily Allen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He bloody well will be banned as soon as the mods get on it I should hope. Lol

I always loved 'smile' by her tbh. I think it was her best song xD
I've been confused about my identity and my sexuality for many years.

I've always wanted to be male, even from an early age, and I'd often catch myself admiring my female classmates, especially throughout secondary school. It wasn't a "I could have sex with you" sort of thing; it was more of a "I could hold you and kiss you, and buy you presents" thing.
It was never anything dirty; I tend to lean towards the emotional side of love rather than the physical side, and the notion of sex isn't one I'm keen on. I currently have a bit of an unrequited crush on someone and I often fantasise about being with her; she's an angel.

I used to believe I was asexual but, after doing a bit of research, I realised I had no idea what I was. There are so many different sexualities; I still don't know which category I fall into.
What do you call a girl who wants to be guy, who wants asexual romance with a girl? It's very confusing.

My secondary school teachers were completely oblivious to this, as are my college teachers and my family.They all assume I'm 100% straight and 100% female. They ask me questions like:
"Do you have a boyfriend yet?"
"Why do you want to wear a tuxedo?"
"Why do you want to take up weight-lifting?"
"Do you want people to think you're gay?"

It can be very frustrating sometimes. Only my best friend knows the truth and I know she'd never let my secret slip.

All in all, my education has been fairly ordinary so far, partly because I'm a social pariah and partly because I haven't revealed anything. I don't even know what I'd be revealing. I'm just hoping that the pieces will slot into place eventually.
A group of boys used to bully me relentlessly - so my confidence could use a bit of work - but they never did it because of my sexuality. They did because they thought I was ugly.

Original post by ivybridge
Well, I was always called gay from the age of around about 6 at primary school and teachers didn't do anything about it. I didn't know what it all really meant; words like 'faggot' and 'bender', and so on.

I've read your entire message and I have to say that I have a phenomenal amount of respect for both you and for everything you've been through.
No one should be treated like that, and to think that some of the teachers had the gall to join in... It makes me so mad. My father and brother are very homophobic and whenever they use disgusting slurs, I don't hesitant to correct them. Sometimes I can't believe I'm related to them; people like that are so ignorant.

After looking through this thread and seeing so many derogatory comments aimed at you, all I can say is that you deserve a medal.
Ignore the bigots; they're the ones that are stopping humanity from any making progress, and hopefully they'll die out soon.
You're stronger than I ever will be and for that, I admire you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Zzzyax
bitch gtfo you ****ing faggot, **** off and die faggot

You are the one who should die.

Spoiler

When I was in school it wasn't an issue - for me. I was brought up to think being gay made no difference at all, so I wasn't "upset" or anything, I just thought, "heh, I guess that means I'm gay!"

I wasn't picked on for it, either because no-one cares, or because I don't come across as an easy victim.

I think our approximate generation (people in the mid twenties down to early teens) don't actually care if someone's gay, but may use it as an excuse to bully, if they want a reason to dislike a person. But maybe I'm just basing that on my own school experiences.
x

WTF... some people are just crude. He actually stabbed you? :s-smilie:
Original post by veganavb
That person is such an idiot... Using stars instead of letters....

I'm sorry but this made me laugh too hard! :rofl:
Original post by Zzzyax
The only good thing in this, ive realised is that you wont have any children lol. so people like you can die out XD

So from this I gather you think being gay is something you get from your parents? ... Then why are there gay people? I ask that for two reasons: 1)as you say, if it was inherited, gay people wouldn't have kids because they'd be sleeping with people of the same gender 2)why woudn't they inherit being straight from both of their parents?
Lol what is this? Omg you guys sure know how to feed the troll

Poor OP having his thread derailed lol
Original post by Zzzyax
Bitch go get ****ed up the ass, u ****ing bitch, youre no man, youre a ****ing bitch sad depressive hoe, dirty hoe, ****ing digusting person. let me guess are u bottom right. lol

.How old are you seriously....

You'd be a laughing stock if that's the way you talk around real adults. Stupid child.

I'm not even Christian but that doesn't stop me feeling the need to pray for you and your potential children should any of them be gay.

Also these days it's not wise to publicly tell people to die and bully peopleonline. You do realise that people can track your ip address and there can be legal ramifications especially if someone called your bluff and did kill themselves upon your orders.

Then you can kiss goodbye to your future, have your true identity outed in the press and you will be known nationally as the hideous homophobe who indirectly killed someone.

You're an idiot. Have some respect for yourself, if you can't at least have respect for other people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Eveiebaby
Wow seriously what an immature dick. How old are you seriously....
You'd be a laughing stock if that's the way you talk around real adults. Stupid child.

I'm not even Christian but that doesn't stop me feeling the need to pray for you and your potential children should any of them be gay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've suddenly thought of a way to make people become more religions
Pretty much everyone at my school used gay as an insult, it was a normal thing to do.
Original post by Danz123
He probably is, but if he just came out of the closet he'd find another guy to stroke his dick for him. All he needs to do is go on grindr or visit a gay bar. They'll be able to 'open him up' to new experiences very easily. :wink:

Why are people who dislike homosexuality always assumed to be gay on this site??
Original post by x-pixie-x

Why are people who dislike homosexuality always assumed to be gay on this site??

I think saying he just dislikes homosexuality is the biggest understatement of the century.
Original post by Inexorably
@ivybridge WHY WAS I NOT MENTIONED IN THAT LIST

I'm sorry! :cry2:

:lovehug:
Original post by Imperion
WTF... some people are just crude. He actually stabbed you? :s-smilie:

The boy who did that was 18 and didn't go to school with me. There were a lot of reasons it occurred but yes.
Original post by Daftpunker
Hi all now I'm 25 I left school some 10 years ago and, as you can guess from the title - realized throughout my secondary education that I was attracted to some of my classmates. At the time I brushed this off as admiration and curiosity rather than attraction and the fact it was an all boys school - there was nothing else on offer so thought it was natural I would have some fond thoughts of my classmates.

However having had relationships with boys and girls there is no doubt in my mind I swing both ways depending on my mood and maybe time of the month

Also going to a Catholic school with many homophobic teachers and pupils it was a pretty terrifying thought that people would find out. I've never "out" so to speak - if people ask I'll be honest and I will always introduce my partner be it male or female as my partner so people can put 2 and 2 together.

"Gay" was used as an insult in school and rumors went round and the butt of those rumors often had a pretty upsetting and tortuous time. My turn was thankfully short and although close mates probably guessed. I was never "outed"

I understand that in the last 10 years there has been a drive to re-educate teachers and pupils on this issue and apparently levels of tolerance and acceptance have never been higher...

I was wondering if anyone wanted to share their experience of this tolerance and acceptance - if you came out at school, were you advised to etc.

If you were also on the other side - did you use gay as an insult - did you bully your classmates if you thought they were gay - I will freely admit I did tease one or two myself to deflect the attention off me (as did judging by facebook 10 years on serveral others did as well!).

Very interested to hear from anyone's experience as I'm interested to know how attitudes and how its dealt with at school has changed through the times.

I think that gay shaming and bullying people for their sexuality has definitely improved over the last 10 years from when you're in school so I do think that homophobic comments have been a lot more intolerant. I am a girl and I have never experienced any homophobic comments made to me (I am straight) nor have I made any homophobic comments myself. I do believe that there is some sort of policy going around most schools in the UK now when it comes to homophobic bullying- for example a guy in my school got kicked out for saying being gay was wrong- We also have assemblies and other things about gay acceptance so I believe there has definitely been an improvement in schools tolerating homophobic comments than it was 10 years ago.
Reply 76
Y'all talking about christian and catholic schools and all that.
While here I am , in a muslim school , openly gay to my schoolmates and a few teachers.

Suprisingly , they're all very accepting and chill.
One thing i've realized about muslims is that they can go around and whine about how they hate queers , atheists , and trans. But once they realize that somebody in their circle of friends is one of those things , they automatically shut up.(atleast the muslims around here , and yes im living in the middle east)

its pretty interesting tbh.
Reply 77
Well, I was always called gay from the age of around about 6 at primary school and teachers didn't do anything about it. I didn't know what it all really meant; words like 'faggot' and 'bender', and so on.

When I matriculated to secondary school, I too attending a catholic school, I met a boy I thought was pretty attractive and he was two years older than me. He was gay and we talked a lot and had a kiss or two. I told one of my close friends I was gay and he was okay with it. I told another 'friend' who then laughed me out of the school to be honest. He told everyone that same day and it spread across the town pretty quickly, different people in different schools knew after a couple of months and after a year, pretty much everyone knew me as the gay guy who came out at 11 and was brave and all that rubbish that I really didn't merit. I had a couple of boys beat me up, one boy stabbed me in year 8/early year 9 and teachers actively took part in a great deal of the persecution.

My deputy head placed me in isolation for a month for speaking out against somebody who was bullying me and called it an inappropriate topic of discussion for school. My parents did not approve of who I was and supported this teacher. One friend made a stand against him and she was excluded for doing so. The headteacher did not disagree with the deputy head's actions and allowed him to continue. Then when I began self-harming in year 8 through to the middle of year 9, I was excluded. Teachers began to join in with the tormenting, one teacher told me he'd buy me a dress for my birthday just randomly and I'm not at all effeminate, it was just a dig and unprompted. Another just joined in with other people when taking the mickey out of homosexuality. A lot happened.

After I attempted to commit suicide by hanging, my headteacher resigned and the replacement enforced strict policies about bullying and was a child-protection officer. In year ten, a new deputy joined the school and she literally saved my life so many times. She hired Stonewall UK to train my teachers, spoke about homosexuality and anti-gay bullying in assemblies to educate people on the issue and everything got significantly better. Teachers were making a point of punishing bullies rather than brushing it under the carpet or joining in. At my new college, no teacher's are aware about my sexuality and I haven't spoken about it - my friends know and if I'm asked I don't deny it but it hasn't been shouted about by anyone, which I'm happy about. One teacher knows for a couple of reasons and he has been so supportive.

I think you just have to stay strong at school and remember that school-children don't know what they're saying half of the time. I never bullied anyone at school, I'd never be able to do that to somebody.

I hope that answers the question...

Why were you 'always called gay' from such an early age?
Original post by JD1lla
Why were you 'always called gay' from such an early age?

Ask them, not me. As I say, I wasn't even aware of what being gay was.

When I matriculated to secondary school, I too attending a catholic school, I met a boy I thought was pretty attractive and he was two years older than me. He was gay and we talked a lot and had a kiss or two. I told one of my close friends I was gay and he was okay with it. I told another 'friend' who then laughed me out of the school to be honest. He told everyone that same day and it spread across the town pretty quickly, different people in different schools knew after a couple of months and after a year, pretty much everyone knew me as the gay guy who came out at 11 and was brave and all that rubbish that I really didn't merit. I had a couple of boys beat me up, one boy stabbed me in year 8/early year 9 and teachers actively took part in a great deal of the persecution.

My deputy head placed me in isolation for a month for speaking out against somebody who was bullying me and called it an inappropriate topic of discussion for school. My parents did not approve of who I was and supported this teacher. One friend made a stand against him and she was excluded for doing so. The headteacher did not disagree with the deputy head's actions and allowed him to continue. Then when I began self-harming in year 8 through to the middle of year 9, I was excluded. Teachers began to join in with the tormenting, one teacher told me he'd buy me a dress for my birthday just randomly and I'm not at all effeminate, it was just a dig and unprompted. Another just joined in with other people when taking the mickey out of homosexuality. A lot happened.

After I attempted to commit suicide by hanging, my headteacher resigned and the replacement enforced strict policies about bullying and was a child-protection officer. In year ten, a new deputy joined the school and she literally saved my life so many times. She hired Stonewall UK to train my teachers, spoke about homosexuality and anti-gay bullying in assemblies to educate people on the issue and everything got significantly better. Teachers were making a point of punishing bullies rather than brushing it under the carpet or joining in. At my new college, no teacher's are aware about my sexuality and I haven't spoken about it - my friends know and if I'm asked I don't deny it but it hasn't been shouted about by anyone, which I'm happy about. One teacher knows for a couple of reasons and he has been so supportive.

I think you just have to stay strong at school and remember that school-children don't know what they're saying half of the time. I never bullied anyone at school, I'd never be able to do that to somebody.

I hope that answers the question...

When reading that my thoughts were that I want to give you a hug and that I then want to beat the **** out of your teachers and parents.

Most of the stuff I got at school was ignorant stuff rather than hateful:

'How do two women have sex?'
'It's not sex without a penis.'
'Is [insert name of random person I've never been friends with] gay/a lesbian?'

There was one point some of the guys in my physics class at Sixth Form were making loads of misogynist and homophobic jokes and our teacher was ignoring this and I said directly to the teacher (so the rest of the class could hear) that if he didn't tell them to shut the **** up I was walking and never returning. It worked.

I think the worst thing was that my sexuality and (to be honest non-existent) sex life became immediately up for public discussion. A 'friend' outed me because he thought the two biggest gossips in our group of friends 'ought to know'. And then of course they told EVERYONE because they thought they social status came from telling everyone other people's secrets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending