The Student Room Group

Smoking.. A couple of cigarettes ok?

The past few weeks have been anxiety central for me, more or less failing my second year of A-levels, my attendance to school is below 85%, parents are on my case 24/7 about school, I worry about relationships (never had a gf) and im constantly worrying about my weight and looks..

I noticed that there was a pack of tobacco and some rolling paper, filters e.c.t in the house and i decided to roll myself a few cigarettes. Went for a walk and smoked both of them. Its been about 40 minutes since I went and i feel... amazing. Im not worrying about anything and listening to music without a care in the world.

My question is that will a couple of cigarettes be alright every so often? I understand the whole addiction thing e.c.t but i'd consider myself pretty strong in terms of will, im able to stop stuff quite easily.

Im 19 if that helps.
You might have a lot of willpower, but tobacco is exceptionally addictive. There are better ways to deal with your issues and if you rely on cigarettes instead you will become addicted to them and it will be much harder than you imagine to stop.
Original post by Anonymous
The past few weeks have been anxiety central for me, more or less failing my second year of A-levels, my attendance to school is below 85%, parents are on my case 24/7 about school, I worry about relationships (never had a gf) and im constantly worrying about my weight and looks..

I noticed that there was a pack of tobacco and some rolling paper, filters e.c.t in the house and i decided to roll myself a few cigarettes. Went for a walk and smoked both of them. Its been about 40 minutes since I went and i feel... amazing. Im not worrying about anything and listening to music without a care in the world.

My question is that will a couple of cigarettes be alright every so often? I understand the whole addiction thing e.c.t but i'd consider myself pretty strong in terms of will, im able to stop stuff quite easily.

Im 19 if that helps.

No, not even a couple. As much as you're going to deny it yes you will get addicted. Simply because tobacco is very addictive.
Why don't you use this "strong will" on attending classes or working on your weight/looks?
(edited 8 years ago)
As someone who smoked for 15 years, don't do it.
Reply 5
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Why don't you use this "willpower" on attending your classes?

Because whats the point of attending a class I was force into doing to stay in sixth form? A class which also has no relevance to what I want to do in later life, and also a class which is lead by a teacher who focuses on the kids that are getting high grades rather than the kids that are struggling to meet deadlines? Thats why.
Reply 6
Thank you for the input everyone, i'll consider some other options instead.
Assuming that you've presumably never smoked before (and have therefore never rolled before unless you were someone's rolling monkey), how the hell did you manage to roll several smokable cigarettes without them looking like cigars?

But yeah, don't smoke. The cons far outweigh the pros.
no drug will ever make you truly happy, they can only make you feel better for a while. do it if it's what you feel you need right now. but remember it's something that you will NOT let get out of hand. YOU are in control of your life, and if you want a cigarette, then have one, but remeber that you are the one in charge. we are humans, life consists of all these little **** ups that happen but we learn from them and we grow and over the years we realise more and more.. that our minds are the single most useful tools we have for dealing with things.

let yourself experience this, but in time promise to yourself you will find a better and healthier way of coping, it is possible.
Reply 9
Original post by Drunk Punx
Assuming that you've presumably never smoked before (and have therefore never rolled before unless you were someone's rolling monkey), how the hell did you manage to roll several smokable cigarettes without them looking like cigars?

But yeah, don't smoke. The cons far outweigh the pros.

It was only two, found one of those rizzla tins you can buy where you put the paper in, the tobacco then the filter and close the lid. They were both pretty **** but it did what i wanted it to do.
Masturbation is a stress reliever.
Just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile
it may have been "funny tobacco"... :eek:
Reply 12
Smoking won't solve your problems. I know it probably feels good and relieves stress but it won't make the problems the stress go away. I understand it helps you but You know it'll cause more trouble along the way. Look breathe okay. It's going to be okay. If you're failing your a levels it's not the end of the world even tho it may seem so but take it from me it's not going to kill you. What'll kill you is smokes and stressing about stuff. Stop stressing. Believe in yourself and work. Work hard. Forget about attendance forget about things you can not change what's done is done. Do your best form now. You have strong will prove it. Work your ass off. Tell your parents you need space. You know how important studies are they don't need to remind you any longer. As for relationships go stop worrying. You're going to be okay. Be happy with yourself first do what it takes to be happy (run walk get the weight you want) and do your thing and along the way you will meet someone. Not everything has to be figured out rn. You probably can stop smoking if you want sure but smoking is not the solution dude. Keep your head up.
There is a big difference I think in having cigarettes as a coping strategy, and having them on a definite one off for casual enjoyment.
The former is a lot more likely to result in addiction than the latter.

So in your situation, I would recommend something else. Exercise perhaps?
Original post by hellodave5
There is a big difference I think in having cigarettes as a coping strategy, and having them on a definite one off for casual enjoyment.
The former is a lot more likely to result in addiction than the latter.

So in your situation, I would recommend something else. Exercise perhaps?

I do, started exercising recently to try and shed the weight but that doesnt block out the worry about school e.c.t

Original post by Kflo
Smoking won't solve your problems. I know it probably feels good and relieves stress but it won't make the problems the stress go away. I understand it helps you but You know it'll cause more trouble along the way. Look breathe okay. It's going to be okay. If you're failing your a levels it's not the end of the world even tho it may seem so but take it from me it's not going to kill you. What'll kill you is smokes and stressing about stuff. Stop stressing. Believe in yourself and work. Work hard. Forget about attendance forget about things you can not change what's done is done. Do your best form now. You have strong will prove it. Work your ass off. Tell your parents you need space. You know how important studies are they don't need to remind you any longer. As for relationships go stop worrying. You're going to be okay. Be happy with yourself first do what it takes to be happy (run walk get the weight you want) and do your thing and along the way you will meet someone. Not everything has to be figured out rn. You probably can stop smoking if you want sure but smoking is not the solution dude. Keep your head up.

Thank you for the kind words, did help me a little bit.
I do, started exercising recently to try and shed the weight but that doesnt block out the worry about school e.c.t

Thank you for the kind words, did help me a little bit.

May I suggest you talk to your tutor or someone else you feel comfortable around in school about potentially receiving councilling sessions? It's not miracle cure but they can help you when you're struggling with everything :smile:

Im 19 if that helps.

A few ciggies a day should be ok. Your not so likely to get addicted. Think of smoking as a bit like drinking alcohol. You can have a few beers a day and not become an alcoholic. But if you start drinking all day long you'll soon become dependant. It's the same with smoking. A few cigarettes a day should not cause addiction.
Original post by Ambitious1999
A few ciggies a day should be ok. Your not so likely to get addicted. Think of smoking as a bit like drinking alcohol. You can have a few beers a day and not become an alcoholic. But if you start drinking all day long you'll soon become dependant. It's the same with smoking. A few cigarettes a day should not cause addiction.

A few cigarettes a day is more likely to cause addiction that a few cans of beer a day! I wouldn't suggest having a few cigarettes a day at all. There are other ways of coping and if you want to use smoking as a coping mechanism, ensure that you're only smoking like once a week or find other means (not drinking though)
Original post by the bear
it may have been "funny tobacco"... :eek:

I was just thinking this.

Just smoking a couple of fags and all your troubles go away...? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest