The Student Room Group

Unconditional offers from universities: what to do if you get one

Scroll to see replies

Thank you. That has taken a weight of my shoulders haha
I love how I have been used in this article without being informed! Haha
Original post by scriberg
adjustment isnt the same as extra or clearing

im going to wolv uni mines still conditional but they havent changed it to unconditional as i went open day at the course leader gave me unconditional for a course in computing
Original post by mccrae01
I'm in this situation exactly ! I have an unconditional from Birmingham for geography with the condition I make it my firm choice ,but I 've got my heart set on Durham, the only one of my choices to not reply so far ( I sent the application off mid October). Two other conditional offers elsewhere makes life even more difficult :frown:

Hi! May I ask what you decided? I'm in the same position now- just received an unconditional for Music from Birmingham if I firm it. I really liked Birmingham, but not as much as York, my first choice, which I have a conditional of AAB for :/ Too much pressure! XD
I will put my unconditional as my insurance. I am not up for going through what I had to go through last year again.
I got an unconditional offer from UEA, providing I put them as my first choice (an unconditional offer with a condition - go figure). I am very pleased about it, but UEA are not my first choice and I got a reasonably good offer from my first choice (Lancaster), so I have some thinking to do.
Original post by SeaSquab
I got an unconditional offer from UEA, providing I put them as my first choice (an unconditional offer with a condition - go figure). I am very pleased about it, but UEA are not my first choice and I got a reasonably good offer from my first choice (Lancaster), so I have some thinking to do.

That's my situation- it just makes the decision ten times harder. It's so tempting, yet doesn't feel quite right :/
As the article says: unconditional offers that come with conditions (you must put us as firm) are best treated as if you received a standard offer. Don't let them sway what you would do without the university pressure selling. If they like you that much they would make a good insurance choice too. Or you can still choose elsewhere.
Original post by PQ
As the article says: unconditional offers that come with conditions (you must put us as firm) are best treated as if you received a standard offer. Don't let them sway what you would do without the university pressure selling. If they like you that much they would make a good insurance choice too. Or you can still choose elsewhere.
easy to say, I would like to go to loughborough. now i have two unconditional offers with my second choice unis so shall i reject them both? very good . what happens if my grades fall short .will I be hung out to dry.The world is not full of AStar students.Even Loughborough are bitching about other unis nicking the best.They will not do it on principle.I think we know were principles take you? If you are unsure about your grades take the second choice unconditional as your firm.Then if you get the grade and you want your first choice take a year out and start again.Good plan maybe?
Original post by bernardhepp
easy to say, I would like to go to loughborough. now i have two unconditional offers with my second choice unis so shall i reject them both? very good . what happens if my grades fall short .will I be hung out to dry.The world is not full of AStar students.Even Loughborough are bitching about other unis nicking the best.They will not do it on principle.I think we know were principles take you? If you are unsure about your grades take the second choice unconditional as your firm.Then if you get the grade and you want your first choice take a year out and start again.Good plan maybe?

I agree- far easier said than done to ignore the unconditional security factor! I was kind of set on York for a while, but now I've been poached by Birmingham (it's only logical, all things considered). They say follow your first instinct, but if that gets you stuck at home with no uni, depressed with all your friends gone, when you could be at another top class uni no questions asked, what good is it?
Original post by bernardhepp

Universities every year take students who miss their grades if they've been picked as firm.

If your favourite doesn't make unconditional offers and you're concerned about meeting the grades then ring them up in March and ASK the likelihood that you'll be accepted with lower grades. By then most universities will know if they're likely to be oversubscribed this year (and so picky about applicants meeting their offers) or if it's a normal or low demand year (and so they'll have a good idea if they're likely to take lower grades).

It isn't a guarantee (universities can't be sure how applicants will do on results day so predictions might fall apart) but they'll either reassure you that they're a good firm or make it clear that they're a risky choice.

I will say again- do you really want to commit to 3+ years at a university that is willing to manipulate to make choices that are in their best interest and not yours? Is that a marker of a supportive and fair university?
Hi guys,

Bangor (my dream uni!!) offer unconditionals if you've been predicted ABB, and I've got a conditional offer from them already, but I'm predicted ABC with an A in Extended Project as well and a B in AS Sociology that I've already been awarded, so I'm really frustrated!

I was wondering if it was worth sending them an email or possibly having someone at college ring them to inquire as to whether they would reconsider?

Also, I'm taking their Scholarship exam (that doesn't give me the potential for an unconditional) but the one I'm doing for Aberystwyth does, so if I potentially got an unconditional there would it be okay to email them and ask then?

I just really feel like the security of that offer would help me to reduce the levels of stress I'm under at the minute + help me to achieve better overall
Reply 72
I always remember my media teacher saying 'If you get unconditional from university don't start celebrating yet and figure out why they gave you that offer'. My situation is quite funny, because I aimed to go to Bournemouth University (BU not AUB) to do Film Production and Cinematography course, but when I got unconditional from them without any portfolio or interview It got me confused and I have started looking more into it. I found out that I would be not in Bournemouth itself, but in Salisbury Campus at Wiltshire College, which basically has no equipment or studios for students. I have watched a few videos from there and honestly all they have are a few lamps and some cameras, but that's all. So it's not like Bournemouth diploma at the end of my course alone would be worthy £27.000 I'd pay. So now I plan on going to interview at Arts University Bournemouth after Christmas, hopefully they'll give me an offer. But again, if university gives unconditional offers that means they believe in you or they desperately need students, which is questionable, because good courses usually have enough applicants.
Reply 73
Something to bear in mind is that Unconditional offers can be withdrawn under certain circumstances. If you slack off your A Level studies and end up with much lower grades - or fails - the uni may view your predicted grades, personal statement and references, as designed to mislead.

Never be fooled into thinking that an Unconditional offer is totally without strings, unless you've already done your A Levels and already have the grades. An Unconditional offer is not contractual or legally binding, and the uni is under no obligation to honour it.
Original post by Klix88
Something to bear in mind is that Unconditional offers can be withdrawn under certain circumstances. If you slack off your A Level studies and end up with much lower grades - or fails - the uni may view your predicted grades, personal statement and references, as designed to mislead.

Never be fooled into thinking that an Unconditional offer is totally without strings, unless you've already done your A Levels and already have the grades. An Unconditional offer is not contractual or legally binding, and the uni is under no obligation to honour it.

This post was actually very misleading as Unis are obliged to honour an unconditional... Hence why they only give them when they truly believe in the applicant, it's a long process that involves more people than you think... And also an unconditional means that it doesn't matter what the applicant gets in their studies, it's the candidates duty to carry on working hard as some future employers may look at their A levels. They are of no interest to the Uni as long as you sit the papers. The people who get unconditional a tend to be intelligent anyway so continue working but some do still underperform for different reasons and the Uni does not even look at this, when you review an unconditional you are in providing you don't breach any major terms like leaving school
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by alexp98
This post was actually very misleading as Unis are obliged to honour an unconditional... Hence why they only give them when they truly believe in the applicant, it's a long process that involves more people than you think... And also an unconditional means that it doesn't matter what the applicant gets in their studies, it's the candidates duty to carry on working hard as some future employers may look at their A levels. They are of no interest to the Uni as long as you sit the papers. The people who get unconditional a tend to be intelligent anyway so continue working but some do still underperform for different reasons and the Uni does not even look at this, when you review an unconditional you are in providing you don't breach any major terms like leaving school

A uni is under no obligation to honour an unconditional offer, although the circumstances for doing so would usually be extreme - for example, the A Level results being so far from the predicted grades, that there were grounds for suspecting that there was deliberate and significant inflation of predicted grades i.e. fraud. If you were given an unconditional offer based on predicted grades of AAB then you got DEE without submitting for extenuating circumstances, there may be a problem.

Three years ago, Ulster withdrew hundreds of unconditional offers, which they said had been made in error. They did this five weeks before the start of the course. Affected students had no way of forcing them to honour the offers.
Reply 76
Original post by Klix88

Three years ago, Ulster withdrew hundreds of unconditional offers, which they said had been made in error. They did this five weeks before the start of the course. Affected students had no way of forcing them to honour the offers.

I think that's understandable, because if students don't meet their predicted grades and are off by a lot, then it's university that suffers the most. Proper students would never allow their grades to drop, even after receiving unconditional. Even though UCAS always states that unconditional is a guaranteed place at uni, but students should always look after their grades just because employers are very likely to be interested in A Levels and BTEC, so it is a little bit confusing.
Original post by Klix88
A uni is under no obligation to honour an unconditional offer, although the circumstances for doing so would usually be extreme - for example, the A Level results being so far from the predicted grades, that there were grounds for suspecting that there was deliberate and significant inflation of predicted grades i.e. fraud. If you were given an unconditional offer based on predicted grades of AAB then you got DEE without submitting for extenuating circumstances, there may be a problem.

Ahh ok that's understandable, I just meant if your grades all dropped by 2 from a B to a D for example, there is no chance of them ever doing this, but like you said maybe in extremely rare cases for extreme grade drops. Most of the time when you have an unconditional offer Uni's do not even look at your grades, they focus on the conditionals
Original post by seklas
I think that's understandable, because if students don't meet their predicted grades and are off by a lot, then it's university that suffers the most. Proper students would never allow their grades to drop, even after receiving unconditional. Even though UCAS always states that unconditional is a guaranteed place at uni, but students should always look after their grades just because employers are very likely to be interested in A Levels and BTEC, so it is a little bit confusing.

Many don't actually, but of course some do and the graduate schemes too. The whole purpose of A levels are to just prepare you for Uni tbh. I still partially disagree with the previous poster though, when you get an unconditional you're in. A lot of thought goes into them, Ulster must have messed up themselves.
Original post by Klix88

Also, it was a technical error by Ulster, not students just who underperformed and they withdrew them just a few hours after making them on track. Overall it was the university that looked like a mess after this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending