The Student Room Group

Do you plan on getting married in the future?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiytt
Civil partnership is different in its origin, so no, it is not Christian.

So we can say that marriage is not a Christian ceremony alone since civil marriages exist, am I right? If it has not really a religious meaning, does marriage still make sense anyway?
Reply 281
Original post by Kallisto
So we can say that marriage is not a Christian ceremony alone since civil marriages exist, am I right? If it has not really a religious meaning, does marriage still make sense anyway?

It still involves the same legal restrictions, and not a single Atheist couple I know has undergone a civil partnership, as opposed to an actual marriage.
Original post by Kiytt
It still involves the same legal restrictions, and not a single Atheist couple I know has undergone a civil partnership, as opposed to an actual marriage.

You can have a civil ceremony for an actual marriage though.
Certainly, nobody I know has had a religious wedding, and the church isn't having anything to do with mine when I get married.
Reply 283
Original post by TattyBoJangles
You can have a civil ceremony for an actual marriage though.
Certainly, nobody I know has had a religious wedding, and the church isn't having anything to do with mine when I get married.

If the service is being carried out by a vicar or priest, inside a church, then it has something to do with religion.

My main opposition towards marriage isn't because it is a Christian tradition, but because of what it entails. I just have greater dislike due to its origin.
Original post by Kiytt
If the service is being carried out by a vicar or priest, inside a church, then it has something to do with religion.

My main opposition towards marriage isn't because it is a Christian tradition, but because of what it entails. I just have greater dislike due to its origin.

Who mentioned a vicar or church? Not me. You can get married without that. Hence a 'civil ceremony'.

My uncle got married in a Scottish distillery, for example.
Reply 285
Who mentioned a vicar or church? Not me. You can get married without that. Hence a 'civil ceremony'.

My uncle got married in a Scottish distillery, for example.

Yes, but all I said is that nobody I know got married independently of the church, even though they aren't religious.
Original post by Kiytt
Yes, but all I said is that nobody I know got married independently of the church, even though they aren't religious.

No, you said civil partnership. Which is different to marriage. And only available to gay couples anyway.

Why you'd have a religious wedding when you're not religious is beyond me, but each to their own :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 287
No, you said civil partnership. Which is different to marriage.

Why you'd have a religious wedding when you're not religious is beyond me, but each to their own :tongue:

Civil partnership/civil ceremony is essentially non-religious marriage. Everything is the same except its association with Christianity, which isn't even my main problem with marriage.

I'm not sure what the point is that you're arguing.
Original post by Kiytt
Civil partnership/civil ceremony is essentially non-religious marriage. Everything is the same except its association with Christianity, which isn't even my main problem with marriage.

I'm not sure what the point is that you're arguing.

Not arguing at all :dontknow: Just pointing out that marriage doesn't have to be religious, but that civil partnerships are different to marriage.

Out of interest, what is your main problem with marriage? (I'm neither particularly for or against it myself, just interested)
Original post by Kiytt

Hmmm... so marriage has a meaning to people insofar to give a life partner a promise being together til death? don't get it...
Reply 290
Not arguing at all :dontknow: Just pointing out that marriage doesn't have to be religious, but that civil partnerships are different to marriage.

Out of interest, what is your main problem with marriage? (I'm neither particularly for or against it myself, just interested)

The legal and financial repercussions of it, as I've said.

Custodial battles, solicitor fees only exacerbate the divorce process (which most marriages end up in, anyway). There is no real benefit from having a wedding (besides having a reason to be self-centred for a day).
Reply 291
Original post by maria.x
Relationships, yes. However, not marriage.

Amen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 292
Hmmm... so marriage has a meaning to people insofar to give a life partner a promise being together til death? don't get it...

And you need to spend money and conduct a ceremony to do that, why? Do you need a metallic ring on your finger to prove you're devoted to your partner? If you do, then you can just buy a ring for each other and skip the whole unnecessary celebration.
Original post by Kiytt
And you need to spend money and conduct a ceremony to do that, why? Do you need a metallic ring on your finger to prove you're devoted to your partner? If you do, then you can just buy a ring for each other and skip the whole unnecessary celebration.

From that point of view, we can say a marriage became more and more unnecessary. And that is my opinion, unless people have a Christian faith and taking care of traditions. From this point of view marriage make sense in turn.
Original post by Kiytt
The legal and financial repercussions of it, as I've said.

Custodial battles, solicitor fees only exacerbate the divorce process (which most marriages end up in, anyway). There is no real benefit from having a wedding (besides having a reason to be self-centred for a day).

That's fair enough. Agree with you on the wedding front, too. Boring for everyone not directly involved and, on the whole, a massive waste of money. Hence me and my partner's plan to elope to Vegas :tongue:

Couldn't custodial battles happen when there's a relationship with children involved, regardless of the marriage status of the parents? (Again, not arguing - but unless I've missed something, custody is about who has the children following a break up. Wouldn't that happen anyway if there were children to a couple who were cohabiting but not married? Assuming the father has parental responsibility through being listed on the birth certificate.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 295
From that point of view, we can say a marriage became more and more unnecessary. And that is my opinion, unless people have a Christian faith and taking care of traditions. From this point of view marriage make sense in turn.

Marriage is more sensible if there is an actual religious purpose for it (although I don't think religion is very sensible in nature, but I digress).

That's fair enough. Agree with you on the wedding front, too. Boring for everyone not directly involved and, on the whole, a massive waste of money. Hence me and my partner's plan to elope to Vegas :tongue:

I am totally in favour of honeymoons/holidays, but I just don't think a ceremony is necessary to permit having one!

Couldn't custodial battles happen when there's a relationship with children involved, regardless of the marriage status of the parents? (Again, not arguing - but unless I've missed something, custody is about who has the children following a break up. Wouldn't that happen anyway if there were children to a couple who were cohabiting but not married? Assuming the father has parental responsibility through being listed on the birth certificate.)

Yes, that's true as well. I didn't mean to say it's exclusive to divorce, but the process is much more complex and financially consequential.
Original post by alcibiade
Sounds like you need an arranged marriage. The odds of meeting someone like that on your own in a modern society are vanishingly small.

That's how it's meant to be done. You can easily find good, pure, self-respecting women like that overseas, in the third world.
Yes, and I'll have 3+ children.

While being single and having one night stands is fun and all, in the end of the day you only have one life, and you should take it seriously and do something worthwhile with it.
Original post by Hydeman
Civil ceremony, then?

It would be via a town hall regardless, we're not religious. But basically we're umming and ahhing a bit about whether to invite anyone to a) the actual getting married part and/or b) a meal somewhere afterwards, and if yes to either, how many people. It would require a bit of advance warning since anyone from my family would have to fly over.
Original post by Ronove
It would be via a town hall regardless, we're not religious. But basically we're umming and ahhing a bit about whether to invite anyone to a) the actual getting married part and/or b) a meal somewhere afterwards, and if yes to either, how many people. It would require a bit of advance warning since anyone from my family would have to fly over.

Ah, I see. Well, good luck with deciding on the details and have fun on the day. :h:

I'm not quite there yet, but I'll probably have to consider this too given that I'm not religious and I really doubt that anybody that I'd want to marry would be seriously religious either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending