The Student Room Group

I Want a Baby at 17...

I'm 17 and in year 12. I've been with my boyfriend for a while and am still so in love with him, we're going to the same university and are planning our whole lives together with our parents support. You may think this sounds dumb, but everyone we know says they've never seen a couple so in love. We're so happy together and never argue. But I'm really broody at the moment, so many of my friends are having babies and I'm jealous. I want us to have our own baby. We've both agreed we won't try to get pregnant, but if it happened, we'd be happy. I kinda want to get pregnant between sixth form and university, but I'm really not sure what would be best. What are any of your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe finish university first? Money is tight as a student and I'm sure you'd want your baby to have lots of nice things.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 17 and in year 12. I've been with my boyfriend for a while and am still so in love with him, we're going to the same university and are planning our whole lives together with our parents support. You may think this sounds dumb, but everyone we know says they've never seen a couple so in love. We're so happy together and never argue. But I'm really broody at the moment, so many of my friends are having babies and I'm jealous. I want us to have our own baby. We've both agreed we won't try to get pregnant, but if it happened, we'd be happy. I kinda want to get pregnant between sixth form and university, but I'm really not sure what would be best. What are any of your thoughts?

Safest bet is to wait until you're financially stable after uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Wait until after uni.

How are you going to support a baby whilst studying?

but everyone we know says they've never seen a couple so in love

How many couples in love has an average 17yr old seen?
(edited 8 years ago)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\
You've gotta push your emotions to one side and consider the practicality. Are you financially in a position to provide for the baby? If you're living with your parents, would they be happy with you having a new born living with them to? Do you think you'd be able to pop out a baby and then go to uni? Who would look after the baby while you're in class? Would having a baby now hinder you from pursuing your chosen career? These are all things that need thinking about.
I think for the potential baby's sake it is best if you wait a few years and graduate from University first. Babies are so expensive, and demand a lot of attention, so juggling university and motherhood will be a huge task.

Sometimes people go through broody phases when they are in love, so it is quite normal for you to feel this way. However, I would recommend you hold off on any baby plans until you and your boyfriend are stable financially.
Looking after a child a full-time commitment that is not compatible with full-time study. I have a friend who became pregnant at university (planned) and had to take a year out because it was just too much.
If you have a baby now then I'd think it best you don't go to uni at all for the foreseeable future.
Don't do it. If this is a whim or you break up (even if you go the same uni, who knows what could happen...). If you are still together after uni then go for it.
Babies!
Original post by SeanFM
Don't do it. If this is a whim or you break up (even if you go the same uni, who knows what could happen...). If you are still together after uni then go for it.

Yeah! What she said^

Don't be popping no condoms either because my bruva doesn't deserve no baby he's got his whole life ahead of him
Reply 12
wait til YOU can support yourself and the baby
yes you, not your bf because imagine something happens and you end up a broke emotional mess with a kid to take care of?

this girl was in love with her boyfriend and went to the same uni as him (newcastle i think?) and lived in the same halls and everything
they ended up breaking up and she didn't wanna see him again so she dropped out and now her life's a mess
imagine if she had a kid too 0_0

so just wait until you're financially stable and you both are 1000000% sure you want a kid together and wanna spend the rest of your life together! you've got plenty of time and eggs gurl calm it!
make usre ur financially secure before attempting for children. also make sure ur child has loving parents (i.e urself and ur partner) and u have a good support network. a lot of people I went to school with ended up messed up due to lack of support at home, went to drugs/prostitution, ended up parents when they were 15. whats weird is that next year (10 years after I finished highschool at 15; i skipped a year), a lot of kids who will be entering my high school as year 7's will be the kids of people who were in my year in high school
you may believe you love him, but you're young, you're yet to see the other opportunities later on, you may find someone better. Couples have babies when they're financially stable, you wont be able to look after the baby whilst you're studying, how are you going to manage to balance school, part time job to provide money for the baby and looking after the baby???
Its a stupid idea, you'll be stressed enough at uni, you don't need to carry this burden of looking after your child. gosh.
also how do you even know youll go to the same uni lol
Just don't do it. Read your post again and realise how stupid it sounds before you ruin your life.
"So many of my friends are having babies"....
Kids are not a walk in the park. I dropped out of uni due to motherhood. Wait until after uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending