The Student Room Group

Independent Student Query

I received some advice from Ask Student Finance last week regarding my son and we now believe he will be able to apply as an Independent Student when he begins his first year in Sept 2016.

I have two questions:

1) What type of supporting evidence will be required. I am guessing wage slips / P60's but is anything else required? Just want to be prepared and organised ready for the application.

2) How does the maint. loan application work in year 2 and year 3? I assume he has to continue working part-time in order to still be classed as an Independent Student? He'd prefer to be classed and an independent student as the loan is much higher.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by mummalove
I received some advice from Ask Student Finance last week regarding my son and we now believe he will be able to apply as an Independent Student when he begins his first year in Sept 2016.

I have two questions:

1) What type of supporting evidence will be required. I am guessing wage slips / P60's but is anything else required? Just want to be prepared and organised ready for the application.

2) How does the maint. loan application work in year 2 and year 3? I assume he has to continue working part-time in order to still be classed as an Independent Student? He'd prefer to be classed and an independent student as the loan is much higher.

Thanks in advance.

For 1 - your best bet is to start the application ASAP. The evidence required is listed as you work through - P60s are almost certain but they might want to see bank statements, marriage certificates, rental agreements etc too. It depends what they're using to class him as independent.

For 2. If he's classed as independent when starting his course then that will carry through for the entire course. There's no requirement for him to continue part time work (although summer/holiday work and any extra money from part time work isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't affect his studies).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
For 1 - your best bet is to start the application ASAP. The evidence required is listed as you work through - P60s are almost certain but they might want to see bank statements, marriage certificates, rental agreements etc too. It depends what they're using to class him as independent.

For 2. If he's classed as independent when starting his course then that will carry through for the entire course. There's no requirement for him to continue part time work (although summer/holiday work and any extra money from part time work isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't affect his studies).

Thanks PQ, I really appreciate your reply.

For 1. He currently lives at home and pays £200 rent which includes his contribution to bills and food, etc. He pays for everything else himself, ie. car insurance, petrol, clothes, mobile, netflix, and so on. He has always paid by standing order direct to our bank account, so I assume his bank statements can be submitted to prove this.

For 2. I know he definitely wants to continue working part-time, all being well :-)
Hi mummalove

We will ask the customer to provide evidence to support their claim for independent status at the start of their course. However depending on their circumstances we may require evidence to be submitted for each subsequent Academic Year.
For self-support we require:
36 months (3 years) worth of evidence is required, however it does not have to be consecutive years. We can accept evidence that shows self-support either proof of income or benefits, such as P60's, wage slips, benefits letters etc.
Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi mummalove

We will ask the customer to provide evidence to support their claim for independent status at the start of their course. However depending on their circumstances we may require evidence to be submitted for each subsequent Academic Year.
For self-support we require:
36 months (3 years) worth of evidence is required, however it does not have to be consecutive years. We can accept evidence that shows self-support either proof of income or benefits, such as P60's, wage slips, benefits letters etc.
Thanks

Thank you Mark for coming back to me with your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending