The Student Room Group

Extra and Changing Personal Statement

Hi guys, I have a few questions

I have offers from SOAS for Economics and Economics with Social Anthropology

However, Ihave decided that I no longer want to go to SOAS, and want to apply to kent instead, changing course to Economics with Law (if it comes out in Extra, of course)

1. I understand that I need to call Kent to tell them that I'm changing course, so will need to send them a new PS separately. Do I need to explain this change?

2. There's a requirement of A for math at GCSE, but I only have a B. Kent is known to be lenient, I think. But is that only for A Levels and will they reject me automatically for this?

3. If they reject me for the Law with Economics course, can I reapply again through Extra for Economics with Social Anthropology?

4. Am I making a mistake for rejecting SOAS?

Sorry for the long post an thank you for the responses 😊
Original post by Summertime99

However, Ihave decided that I no longer want to go to SOAS, and want to apply to kent instead, changing course to Economics with Law (if it comes out in Extra, of course)

1. I understand that I need to call Kent to tell them that I'm changing course, so will need to send them a new PS separately. Do I need to explain this change?

2. There's a requirement of A for math at GCSE, but I only have a B. Kent is known to be lenient, I think. But is that only for A Levels and will they reject me automatically for this?

3. If they reject me for the Law with Economics course, can I reapply again through Extra for Economics with Social Anthropology?

If they say they want an A at GCSE then I wouldn't risk it as GCSE requirements can be quite strict so before you do anything you better ask whether they would accept that or not.

They will tell you if they are prepared to accept one. Not all will.
No, the GCSE requirements are much more inflexible than A levels, and if they have said an A, that's what they mean. You can call to ask them, but be prepared for an answer you don't want to hear.
You can, but it's unlikely to work because of the GCSE requirement and they would also have suggested you would be better suited to that course at the time of your first application if that were the case.
It depends how much you don't want to go there. If you don't want to go, then certainly pull out. Don't expect an easy ride into Kent, though, if you don't meet the GCSE requirement.

See bold above.
Original post by claireestelle
If they say they want an A at GCSE then I wouldn't risk it as GCSE requirements can be quite strict so before you do anything you better ask whether they would accept that or not.

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
See bold above.

Alright thank you both :smile: I'll call them and be sure to check.

Also for Economics and Social Anthopology, they only ask for a B, which I have. So if they won't accept my B for Law & Econs, I'll go with that. Thanks again !
Alright thank you both :smile: I'll call them and be sure to check.

Also for Economics and Social Anthopology, they only ask for a B, which I have. So if they won't accept my B for Law & Econs, I'll go with that. Thanks again !

Just to check - are you studying maths at A level or not? If you are, then the GCSE requirement may be irrelevant (I got a C in maths at GCSE, but an A at A level). If you aren't studying maths at A level, then they're asking for an A at GCSE to prove you'll be up to the standard that the compulsory maths content of the degree. All you could do in that case is tell them that you're willing to study some relevant maths before beginning your degree to bring yourself up to scratch. Some universities will make exceptions to their rules if it seems like you're committed to putting in some self-study in a particular area.
Original post by mscaffrey
Just to check - are you studying maths at A level or not? If you are, then the GCSE requirement may be irrelevant (I got a C in maths at GCSE, but an A at A level). If you aren't studying maths at A level, then they're asking for an A at GCSE to prove you'll be up to the standard that the compulsory maths content of the degree. All you could do in that case is tell them that you're willing to study some relevant maths before beginning your degree to bring yourself up to scratch. Some universities will make exceptions to their rules if it seems like you're committed to putting in some self-study in a particular area.

No, I didn't take it at A Level. However I have been on a gap year and have been studying it on my own, up to (roughly) A Level maths standard. I did put this in my revised personal statement . Provided that they agree to have a look at the revised statement, that might just do, right?
No, I didn't take it at A Level. However I have been on a gap year and have been studying it on my own, up to (roughly) A Level maths standard. I did put this in my revised personal statement . Provided that they agree to have a look at the revised statement, that might just do, right?

It might do! I'd also mention it in your initial email/call enquiring about the course (sometimes an email is best, as they can pass it to the relevant people and relevant people have a little more say when it comes to being lenient with requirements). I've found that I get vastly different responses from universities if I give them information that I think is relevant (additional personal study etc) rather than leave it out in an attempt to be humble about my achievements.
Original post by mscaffrey
It might do! I'd also mention it in your initial email/call enquiring about the course (sometimes an email is best, as they can pass it to the relevant people and relevant people have a little more say when it comes to being lenient with requirements). I've found that I get vastly different responses from universities if I give them information that I think is relevant (additional personal study etc) rather than leave it out in an attempt to be humble about my achievements.

Alright , tysm! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending