The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan Help

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you could suggest how a potential maintenance loan would be affected by my family circumstances.... I live with my grandparents as my parents live overseas. I am not technically legally estranged from them but am not and would not be in any way financially or otherwise supported by them.

Am I able to get a higher loan because of this? Additionally, would I need to use their financial figures (which would be hard to get) or those of my grandparents?

Thanks for any replies :smile:
Hi Passmeplease

Yes, we will require your sponsors financial details regardless of whether they reside in the UK or overseas. This will be required every academic year.

If your parents are married we will require financial details for both regardless if one parent lives and works overseas. Student Finance England will assess this parent as a contributor to the household income. We require your sponsor(s) to complete the PFF2 form. We are unable to check overseas income figures with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), therefore it is necessary for your sponsor to provide documentary evidence of their income.

Please see list below for acceptable evidence:

Letter from your employer (confirming salary for the tax year)

Accountant's letter

Self Assessment / P60 (or country equivalent)

Week 53 Payslip

Month 12 Payslip

We will always endeavour to process evidence regardless of the language it is in, however we would ask that any documents that are not in English are translated where possible.Thanks
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi Passmeplease

Yes, we will require your sponsors financial details regardless of whether they reside in the UK or overseas. This will be required every academic year.

If your parents are married we will require financial details for both regardless if one parent lives and works overseas. Student Finance England will assess this parent as a contributor to the household income. We require your sponsor(s) to complete the PFF2 form. We are unable to check overseas income figures with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), therefore it is necessary for your sponsor to provide documentary evidence of their income.

Please see list below for acceptable evidence:

Letter from your employer (confirming salary for the tax year)

Accountant's letter

Self Assessment / P60 (or country equivalent)

Week 53 Payslip

Month 12 Payslip

We will always endeavour to process evidence regardless of the language it is in, however we would ask that any documents that are not in English are translated where possible.Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I was just wondering if you could clarify what SFE considers as a 'sponsor'. I am struggling with how I would use my parents when neither of them contribute to my household income and I am not currently in contact with them.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Hi,
I just wanted to ask is it possible to apply for both the tuition loan and maintenance loan with my boarding house's address if I am a boarder?
Original post by Passmeplease
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I was just wondering if you could clarify what SFE considers as a 'sponsor'. I am struggling with how I would use my parents when neither of them contribute to my household income and I am not currently in contact with them.

Thanks for your help :smile:

The customer can be assessed as an independent student if they:
are 25 or over before the start of the academic year
are under 25 and married/divorced
have care of a child
are married or in a civil partnership
have no living parents
are irreconcilably estranged from their parents
have been the subject of a care order
cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them

If you are not estranged from parents and nothing above applies, we would ask for you to supply evidence of your parents income as they are your sponsors.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending