The Student Room Group

Has anyone looked into a raw fruitarian diet?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MountKimbie
Do you think the fruit and vegetables we eat are any more 'natural' than the milk we drink or meat we eat? We can buy fresh meat reared responsibly and drink fresh milk with no added hormones. Have you ever seen a true, wild avacado? They are extremely small. The fruit/veg we eat have been altered/bred over thousands/millions of years for more sweetness, size or a certain flavour profile.
What is natural?

Thanks for sharing the link to your friends channel. They seem like nice guys, but they are really misinformed. As soon as they bring science into the equation, they get it really, really wrong.

Milk from another animal was never part of our natural diet in any point of our figurative human baby steps. What animals that produce milk could we farm in abundance in our natural rain-forest environment?

No other animal consumes the milk of another animal after it's physical developmental stage. No other ape in our species lives primarily on meat. This is physiology and you're saying it is flawed?
Original post by Quantex
I hate to point out the blindingly obvious but ....

Our ancestors clearly did not eat some of those fruits as they skipped through the African rainforest because they aren't native plants to Africa.

Of course, I was giving people a reference into fruits they were familiar with. My argument is based on fruit that was naturally geo-available.
Original post by YourName___
Milk from another animal was never part of our natural diet in any point of our figurative human baby steps. What animals that produce milk could we farm in abundance in our natural rain-forest environment?

No other animal consumes the milk of another animal after it's physical developmental stage. No other ape in our species lives primarily on meat. This is physiology and you're saying it is flawed?

Where is the evidence to suggest all humans at a certain point lived in a natural 'rain-forest' environment? Besides, that's just a small nick in the human timeline. We've lived on grains, milk and meat for a long time.

Animals don't consume the milk of another animal because animals can't just milk eachother like we do to them. When I see a wild chimp milk a dairy cow, I'll let you know.

We don't live on primarily meat, we, in theory, require a pretty balanced diet for optimal health. Yeah, you can probably survive on sub-optimal, but still.
Where is the evidence to suggest all humans at a certain point lived in a natural 'rain-forest' environment? Besides, that's just a small nick in the human timeline. We've lived on grains, milk and meat for a long time.

Animals don't consume the milk of another animal because animals can't just milk eachother like we do to them. When I see a wild chimp milk a dairy cow, I'll let you know.

We don't live on primarily meat, we, in theory, require a pretty balanced diet for optimal health. Yeah, you can probably survive on sub-optimal, but still.

We only began farming and producing food to sustain a larger population. You're looking at humans as sentient beings rather than animals because of a modern perception that we were born farming. Humans resembling what we know humans to be today have lived for 200,000 years and we only began farming ~20,000 years ago. Your arguments are misinformed. We adapted to our needs and what our environments provide, and our needs dictated food availability on a mass scale which is why grains were so efficient.

That some of us (mostly Europeans) are capable of physiologically digesting milk is because we express lactase as adults. That It became the dominate phenotype in Europe over only a few hundred generations suggest it gave an adaptive advantage.

Even today, humans don't primarily live on meat. However it has been part of our diet for a long time. If I remember correctly, our ancestors were eating meat prior the the emergence of Homo sapiens.
Original post by Quantex
That some of us (mostly Europeans) are capable of physiologically digesting milk is because we express lactase as adults. That It became the dominate phenotype in Europe over only a few hundred generations suggest it gave an adaptive advantage.

Even today, humans don't primarily live on meat. However it has been part of our diet for a long time. If I remember correctly, our ancestors were eating meat prior the the emergence of Homo sapiens.

Wow. That last part you wrote is actually very ****ing interesting, did not know that.

If you have any type of source I might enjoy reading it when I have time...
We only began farming and producing food to sustain a larger population. You're looking at humans as sentient beings rather than animals because of a modern perception that we were born farming. Humans resembling what we know humans to be today have lived for 200,000 years and we only began farming ~20,000 years ago. Your arguments are misinformed. We adapted to our needs and what our environments provide, and our needs dictated food availability on a mass scale which is why grains were so efficient.

I didn't claim we were born as agricultural beings. I'm not arguing against a fruitarian diet based on the history of the dietary needs of our ancestors. That, like you say, changes based on the demands of the population.

My disagreement comes from a place of science. If you want to go fruitarian, go ahead.

Don't expect longevity of life and good health that an otherwise 'balanced' diet wouldn't give you.
no because im not some batshit crazy hippy
I didn't claim we were born as agricultural beings. I'm not arguing against a fruitarian diet based on the history of the dietary needs of our ancestors. That, like you say, changes based on the demands of the population.

My disagreement comes from a place of science. If you want to go fruitarian, go ahead.

Don't expect longevity of life and good health that an otherwise 'balanced' diet wouldn't give you.

At least quote your sources. You can't just claim 'im speaking science', because it sounds idiotic. Both of our reasoning is based on physiological perceptions which is rooted in biology. Mine is more researched however. At least link a source or state a scientific theory...

I understand that you're promoting balance but fruit has a proprietary nutritional balance that exists naturally inside it. You're thinking of balancing types of food (fruit, veg, dairy, meat). Where'as this is undeveloped. Real balance is about macro and micro nutrients which are all harbored in fruit in balance.
At least quote your sources. You can't just claim 'im speaking science', because it sounds idiotic. Both of our reasoning is based on physiological perceptions which is rooted in biology. Mine is more researched however. At least link a source or state a scientific theory...

I understand that you're promoting balance but fruit has a proprietary nutritional balance that exists naturally inside it. You're thinking of balancing types of food (fruit, veg, dairy, meat). Where'as this is undeveloped. Real balance is about macro and micro nutrients which are all harbored in fruit in balance.

What sources do you have? And no, don't link me to Durian Rider or some random website or youtube channel. Peer reviewed/meta analysis only please by credible scientists.

Right,

I'll approach this a little differently. I've had these sort of discussions a few times. I'd rather not have a pubmed jerk off discussion. You won't read the studies. They're out there, but there is no point me linking them.

So, my macros are 2000kcal: 150g protein, 275g carbs, 33g fat. Micronutrients I don't count, but I eat lots of spinach/blueberries and supplement with D3 so I'm probably covered.

Now, through an exclusively fruit based diet, how would I achieve 2000 calories (NO more, I'm trying to lose weight through a calorie deficit) and hit those macros? Particularly protein.

I weightlift and play a lot of sport, so I need that amount of protein for optimal growth. Sure, I could probably have a little less, but no less than 120g.

How would I achieve this balance through fruit alone?

And eating more calories/doing more exercise is not a compromise I am willing to make, as a busy university student who also works part time.

Also, how will I prepare my fruit meals for the week? Where will I get my fruit from? How fresh will it be? Pesticides? What is the cost? How long will the fruit last before I have to go shopping again?
What sources do you have? And no, don't link me to Durian Rider or some random website or youtube channel. Peer reviewed/meta analysis only please by credible scientists.

Right,

I'll approach this a little differently. I've had these sort of discussions a few times. I'd rather not have a pubmed jerk off discussion. You won't read the studies. They're out there, but there is no point me linking them.

So, my macros are 2000kcal: 150g protein, 275g carbs, 33g fat. Micronutrients I don't count, but I eat lots of spinach/blueberries and supplement with D3 so I'm probably covered.

Now, through an exclusively fruit based diet, how would I achieve 2000 calories (NO more, I'm trying to lose weight through a calorie deficit) and hit those macros? Particularly protein.

I weightlift and play a lot of sport, so I need that amount of protein for optimal growth. Sure, I could probably have a little less, but no less than 120g.

How would I achieve this balance through fruit alone?

And eating more calories/doing more exercise is not a compromise I am willing to make, as a busy university student who also works part time.

Also, how will I prepare my fruit meals for the week? Where will I get my fruit from? How fresh will it be? Pesticides? What is the cost? How long will the fruit last before I have to go shopping again?

You have a specialty diet for bodybuilding.

150grams of protein is unnecessary for anyone except those that want to actively build muscle for aesthetic purposes. I only need 30g and I kickbox 4 days a week and have muay thai and BJJ sessions on the other 3.

11 bannas is ~1000 calories, 3 avocados is 600 calories and 10 mangoes is 600 calories. All of these fruits have an excess volume of water so you can easily eat that in a day despite it looking like a lot. All are extremely bio available for your body, some days you can change the fruits for dragon fruits and eat coconuts etc.

You can get 50grams of protein with 200 grams of pumpkin seeds also. Apes also eat honey and insects for protein and vitamin B12.

A fruit based diet would be wrong for you because of the weightlifting. We need only 10-15g of protein per day so there is a discrepancy
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm baffled by how some diets advertised by non-professional wellness gurus like Ella Woodward are based upon emulating the eating styles of our cavemen ancestors. We're not in 200BC it's 2016 and chances are our lifestyles have changed, so this obsession with the ancient eating habits really should piss off.
(edited 8 years ago)
You have a specialty diet for bodybuilding.

150grams of protein is unnecessary for anyone except those that want to actively build muscle for aesthetic purposes. I only need 30g and I kickbox 4 days a week and have muay thai and BJJ sessions on the other 3.

11 bannas is ~1000 calories, 3 avocados is 600 calories and 10 mangoes is 600 calories. All of these fruits have an excess volume of water so you can easily eat that in a day despite it looking like a lot. All are extremely bio available for your body, some days you can change the fruits for dragon fruits and eat coconuts etc.

You can get 50grams of protein with 200 grams of pumpkin seeds also. Apes also eat honey and insects for protein and vitamin B12.

A fruit based diet would be wrong for you because of the weightlifting. We need only 10-15g of protein per day so there is a discrepancy

10-15g of protein? Wtf? You are a man, not a bird. I'm not a bodybuilder I'm into strength training. Still though, I have a higher protein requirement than the average male yes.

200g pumpkin seeds is already like 900kcal, the rest of my calories would have to come from bananas/mangos etc.

Not a lot. I'd be hungry all day, even if I spread it out.

You see, it doesn't work for a lot of people. Veganism works for bodybuilders/strength trainers, but raw fruitarian is an extreme branch and is universally criticized.
10-15g of protein? Wtf? You are a man, not a bird. I'm not a bodybuilder I'm into strength training. Still though, I have a higher protein requirement than the average male yes.

200g pumpkin seeds is already like 900kcal, the rest of my calories would have to come from bananas/mangos etc.

Not a lot. I'd be hungry all day, even if I spread it out.

You see, it doesn't work for a lot of people. Veganism works for bodybuilders/strength trainers, but raw fruitarian is an extreme branch and is universally criticized.

You don't have a higher protein requirement, just a higher intake.

But I'd have to agree with a lot of that. But you have fed into the belief that we need an extreme excess of protein. We simply don't need more than 50 grams to produce great results. I personally get most of my protein from chicken, non-carnivorous fish (because carnivorous fish have high levels of lead, arsenic etc) and greek yogurt. Oh btw look into 'Skyr', that **** is amazing.

My conclusion is that high levels of fruit are key to a theoretical optimal diet but I am not going to exclude white meats seeds and some dairy.
Nah
You don't have a higher protein requirement, just a higher intake.

But I'd have to agree with a lot of that. But you have fed into the belief that we need an extreme excess of protein. We simply don't need more than 50 grams to produce great results. I personally get most of my protein from chicken, non-carnivorous fish (because carnivorous fish have high levels of lead, arsenic etc) and greek yogurt. Oh btw look into 'Skyr', that **** is amazing.

My conclusion is that high levels of fruit are key to a theoretical optimal diet but I am not going to exclude white meats seeds and some dairy.

I looked up Skyr, it sounds good. High protein/low fat yogurt would be perfect for me.

What does it taste like?

No, you're right 50g for an average lightly active man will probably be fine.

Well it sounds like you have a pretty good diet, why change it? :wink: I don't eat fish at all. Hate the taste.

Being honest with you, I'd love to eat loads of fruit and get most of calories from it. Fruit is such beautiful produce and I always feel good from it. I do love cooking as well, however. I tend to eat veg that I can eat raw. Nothing boiled.
Do what you want. It's your body.

I take this idea further. Since our earliest ancestors lived anaerobically, we should too.
I looked up Skyr, it sounds good. High protein/low fat yogurt would be perfect for me.

What does it taste like?

No, you're right 50g for an average lightly active man will probably be fine.

Well it sounds like you have a pretty good diet, why change it? :wink: I don't eat fish at all. Hate the taste.

Being honest with you, I'd love to eat loads of fruit and get most of calories from it. Fruit is such beautiful produce and I always feel good from it. I do love cooking as well, however. I tend to eat veg that I can eat raw. Nothing boiled.

Lightly active? I'm 6'' 186lbs 9% body fat...

There's a reason fruit tastes so good for us, and why we artificially make sweets etc taste like it :wink:

Skyr tastes like really dense paste, but if you can put up with that, prepare for a ****ery of gains
African rainforest certainly isn't my natural habitat.

And I am no less of an animal than any of my ancestors.
Original post by morgan8002
Do what you want. It's your body.

I take this idea further. Since our earliest ancestors lived anaerobically, we should too.

But they were ancestors that much more biologically dissimilar. 200,000 years ago we were pretty much the same mf's

Quick Reply

Latest