The Student Room Group

Fights with my dad

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elivercury
Is your BMI a typo?

You say you think you're obese, but your BMI is 20, which puts you on the border between underweight/optimum weight. If you consider yourself obese while being close to underweight, I would question if your opinion of your eating habits/size is reliable as you think and perhaps your Dad is coming to you from a place of concern.

What are the fights over? Being picky with food? Not eating enough? Eating too much? Are they trying to serve you food you've clearly stated you dislike, but would be happy to eat something else?

Nope it isnt a typo.

i know hmmmm all i can say is that i am so retarded. maybe you have a point there, i mean well i dont think its that im not eating enough well i mean at school i dont eat but at home i doo, sometimes.

Like yeah apparently im picky with food, cause well pork literally makes me vomit and like just random things like zucchini thats the worst food ever seriously and he still puts it in meals even though he knows i hate it. i know its probably that i am picky but he is like that guy which is like "you cant waste that one bite of a sandwich it costs like 10 cents" and heres the thing we arent even poor we are quite well off. it just annoys me and like ughh i mean i dont know i think ive always had some eating issues like in reception (im from Aus and i dont know if you know what it is but basically its ages 5-6) i wouldnt eat lunch at school but id hide it in my lunchbox and the teacher would always call my parents, and like right now i even have a bad in my schoolbag of food for school that i didnt eat. and sometimes im happy to eat but honestly i just seem to be hating more and more food and i dont know why really.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey thanks for the reply, and just to clear up no i dont have any eating disorders even though i think im obese, im not really well i mean i know that the BMI isnt a good way to say but mine is 20 so yeah but i think i am. Hmm i know it seems a bit silly but for some reason it always seems to happen like on at least a weekly basis.

Arguments are dull. Argue about importnat matters if need be. You cnat eb obese on a BMI of 20. If you dont wnat to argue then dont. Just learn a few tactics.

"Thanks for offering, but I'm happy eating what I have".

"Thanks for offering. I will try a bit of it and tell you whether I liked it, later".

Then you can take it, try it and if you dont like it, just tell him so. If you are going to stick to the same foods all your life, then it would be a bit dull. You cnat know if you have found all the great foods, some may be even better, but you should try. once you have done so , then he has less of an argument.
Original post by shawtyb
i did that and earned my independence lol

haha what age were you?
haha what age were you?

Original post by shawtyb

haha well done.
Nope it isnt a typo.

i know hmmmm all i can say is that i am so retarded. maybe you have a point there, i mean well i dont think its that im not eating enough well i mean at school i dont eat but at home i doo, sometimes.

Like yeah apparently im picky with food, cause well pork literally makes me vomit and like just random things like zucchini thats the worst food ever seriously and he still puts it in meals even though he knows i hate it. i know its probably that i am picky but he is like that guy which is like "you cant waste that one bite of a sandwich it costs like 10 cents" and heres the thing we arent even poor we are quite well off. it just annoys me and like ughh i mean i dont know i think ive always had some eating issues like in reception (im from Aus and i dont know if you know what it is but basically its ages 5-6) i wouldnt eat lunch at school but id hide it in my lunchbox and the teacher would always call my parents, and like right now i even have a bad in my schoolbag of food for school that i didnt eat. and sometimes im happy to eat but honestly i just seem to be hating more and more food and i dont know why really.

To be honest, it sounds to me like you do have problems with eating. Perhaps not to the same level that people with anorexia/morbid obesity have issues, but that doesn't mean it couldn't escalate, and you do state it seems to be getting worse.

If your issue is simply the type of food being cooked, I would suggest trying to discuss the issue of your tastes with your parents/Dad. Perhaps offer to cook your own meals/meals for the family? That way you are contributing to the household while also making sure you are getting food you want to eat. You could even argue it's making you self sufficient for when you're older. Likewise, make your own packed lunch if what you are being given isn't appealing. You are likely to get much further discussing and making suggesting for how to solve the problem rather than having an argument about things.

If your issue is that you don't want to/feel like eating, then perhaps you should look up some sort of support, as while it doesn't sound like too big an issue at the moment, it could easily escalate.

Best of luck!
Original post by Elivercury
To be honest, it sounds to me like you do have problems with eating. Perhaps not to the same level that people with anorexia/morbid obesity have issues, but that doesn't mean it couldn't escalate, and you do state it seems to be getting worse.

If your issue is simply the type of food being cooked, I would suggest trying to discuss the issue of your tastes with your parents/Dad. Perhaps offer to cook your own meals/meals for the family? That way you are contributing to the household while also making sure you are getting food you want to eat. You could even argue it's making you self sufficient for when you're older. Likewise, make your own packed lunch if what you are being given isn't appealing. You are likely to get much further discussing and making suggesting for how to solve the problem rather than having an argument about things.

If your issue is that you don't want to/feel like eating, then perhaps you should look up some sort of support, as while it doesn't sound like too big an issue at the moment, it could easily escalate.

Best of luck!

Hmm okay, and thank you so much for your honest opinion! In a way i kind of agree with you as well. Also now that you mention it my cousin has anorexia, but that is for different reasons.

Hmm i have tried but he just doesnt seem to listen but ill try again. and i do sometimes i cook quite regularly but i am quite busy and have lots to do but i mean i do sometimes just that they dont like me to cook really i mean they do but like i dont know its hard to explain. I agree with that last point its just that my parents make me so furious and like at school with friends like im happy and then as soon as i get in the car to go home its like somebody has chopped off my arm and i instantly go angry i dont know why and i kinda feel bad for it but yeah its scary kinda, i just like to be alone cause i know what im like and i know i cant hurt anybody.

hmm okay ill try, i mean i have been forced to see people before because well when i was young i use to run away from school and then create issues about school, yep im retarded. but thank you so much
Reply 27
So bascially i am 16 at the moment and i dont think ive ever really got along with my family, and i usually create a lot of arguments and fights between us and well i say i create them but its not always me its sometimes my dad.

sometimes like once he said that i could have my own opinion on things and i should just do like everything. And often we have arguments about food cause he thinks that i should eat every kind of food and things but i mean i dont really like eating that much and everything, and well i mean i have suffered from depression and anxiety in the past and a little now, if that makes any difference. anyway so like do you think i should have to eat every kind of food and stuff? and like is this just me being a bit of a prick and stuff?

Thanks

My dads the same. He's a prick. F dads. ******** world
Yah
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending