The Student Room Group

Excruciating flank pain

For the past week or two,I've been getting really bad pains down the right hand side of my body just below the rib cage and down to the hips. I went to A and E yesterday and was told to just take ibuprofen and rest. I'm scared that it could be kidney related or maybe a cyst again or pneumonia. Has anybody had flank pain before and what happened?
I'll probably go see the GP tomorrow just to be on the safe side as its getting painful to do much around the house
Original post by queen-bee
For the past week or two,I've been getting really bad pains down the right hand side of my body just below the rib cage and down to the hips. I went to A and E yesterday and was told to just take ibuprofen and rest. I'm scared that it could be kidney related or maybe a cyst again or pneumonia. Has anybody had flank pain before and what happened?
I'll probably go see the GP tomorrow just to be on the safe side as its getting painful to do much around the house

Sorry to hear :/ Hopefully it'll get better soon and you'll be out and about!

A clinician would be in a better position to tell you what's what! There's tonnes of types of pain and the location etc will help them make a diagnosis! Kidney pain is usually felt on the back!
Reply 2
Original post by Zygomaticus
Sorry to hear :/ Hopefully it'll get better soon and you'll be out and about!

A clinician would be in a better position to tell you what's what! There's tonnes of types of pain and the location etc will help them make a diagnosis! Kidney pain is usually felt on the back!

I was told it was flank pain and to talk anti inflammatory such as ibruprofen and to just rest up,see my doctor if it gets worse. But usually it's kidney related even tho there's a possibility it could be anything else as there's lots of other organs in the surrounding area.

Thank you :hugs:
Original post by queen-bee
I was told it was flank pain and to talk anti inflammatory such as ibruprofen and to just rest up,see my doctor if it gets worse. But usually it's kidney related even tho there's a possibility it could be anything else as there's lots of other organs in the surrounding area.

Thank you :hugs:

Ahhhh interesting, your kidneys are considered a retroperitoneal structure so pain is usually felt on the back and seeing I'm not doing an abdo exam on you I can't tell exactly where you mean 😂 As for organs in the surrounding area, yup there's absolutely tonnes :/

Hopefully it's nothing serious!
Reply 4
That sounds agonizing :cry2: I really hope you feel better soon :hugs:

Whenever I have had really bad flank pain, its always turned out to be a kidney infection and sadly I get them a lot but I'm assuming doctors at A&E would have done an urine sample to rule that out for you? I've had pneumonia too but that didn't give me flank pain, that was more a pain in the centre of my chest and upper back.

If you have been exercising or lifting, it could be a pulled muscle or even cracked ribs and that can be really painful and radiate to the flank.

Whatever it is, I really hope you get peace from it soon. Pain in the flank is horrible, you can't get comfy with it and it hurts to move :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Spock's Socks

Whenever I have had really bad flank pain, its always turned out to be a kidney infection and sadly I get them a lot but I'm assuming doctors at A&E would have done an urine sample to rule that out for you? I've had pneumonia too but that didn't give me flank pain, that was more a pain in the centre of my chest and upper back.

If you have been exercising or lifting, it could be a pulled muscle or even cracked ribs and that can be really painful and radiate to the flank.

Whatever it is, I really hope you get peace from it soon. Pain in the flank is horrible, you can't get comfy with it and it hurts to move :frown:

I seriously feel so useless right now. Did they give you antibiotics for it? I've never had a kidney infection before,although I've had major cyst problems in the past and also pneumonia like 3 times.

I haven't lifting but just doing light stretches,nothing tedious and always make sure to drink plenty of fluids*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Zygomaticus
Ahhhh interesting, your kidneys are considered a retroperitoneal structure so pain is usually felt on the back and seeing I'm not doing an abdo exam on you I can't tell exactly where you mean 😂 As for organs in the surrounding area, yup there's absolutely tonnes :/

Hopefully it's nothing serious!

I really hope not!
Original post by Spock's Socks

Ive had pneumonia twice, and other stuff with my lung like collapsing due to fluid (pleural effusion) and it too has been a pain in my chest and upper back sort of wrapping around. However, I have also developed chronic pain syndrome from such things that then radiated all the way down that side to my toes and up to my head like being hit by a car so your body can throw stuff out. Ive been told nothing was wrong for months as well before these things were diagnosed so if you feel like theres more to it OP go to your doctor soon, and if you want to you could ask for a chest xray to see if it can highlight anything (it'll pick up pneumonia and things). I have been told upper back pain is what to look out for in terms of kidney infection, so if it hurts a little to drink a lot of water to prevent it :s-smilie: good luck!
Are you pregnant OP? When was the last time you had sex. This could mean pregnancy
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Are you pregnant OP? When was the last time you had sex. This could mean pregnancy

I'm definitely not pregnant

Quick Reply

Latest