The Student Room Group

Why was I sent a letter after my 17th birthday ordering me to register to vote?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
You would. Same as if you were a driver and get a speeding ticket. U18s aren't immune...

I more think the point is the person doesn't have £80, they live at home and are in full time education
Original post by Palette
If voter registration is compulsory, where do the news stories about 'last minute rushes from younger voter to vote for the EU referendum' come from? They wouldn't have rushed it if they were sent letters before they turned 18 ordering them to register to vote (like I was).

They were sent a,letter but did not respond since they were at uni or had moved. There is also a time limit before the fine.
But they do enforce it and if you get a second reminder they will be your,door in person. Watch out for the bright yellow plastic jacket amd a clip board. Oh, and they will in the day and at night to get you. Many times, at weekly intervals, so you can't hide.
(edited 7 years ago)
Neither being on the Electoral Register or voting is compulsory in Britain.

You can register to vote at 16 so that you are on the Electoral Register IF an election is called once you are 18 (this cuts down on the rush of 18 year olds all registering once an election is declared ....).

Being on the Electoral Register is often used to check your address when taking out finance agreements as it suggests you are more settled/dependable. There are a million ways of tracing people who skip off owing money, being registered to vote is a minor one and only the seriously paranoid would think this is a reason not to vote.
Reply 23
Original post by returnmigrant

It's not compulsory to vote, but you can certainly be fined for refusing to go on the Electoral Register.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/overview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I only signed up when I was eighteen, didn't get any letters or anything:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kay_Winters
I more think the point is the person doesn't have £80, they live at home and are in full time education

You can live at home and be in full time education at 50. What's the difference?
Original post by Andy98
I only signed up when I was eighteen, didn't get any letters or anything:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The rules have changed.
Original post by returnmigrant

You can register to vote at 16 so that you are on the Electoral Register IF an election is called once you are 18 (this cuts down on the rush of 18 year olds all registering once an election is declared ....).

Being on the Electoral Register is often used to check your address when taking out finance agreements as it suggests you are more settled/dependable. There are a million ways of tracing people who skip off owing money, being registered to vote is a minor one and only the seriously paranoid would think this is a reason not to vote.

Refusing to be on the register, sadly, is a matter for which they can now fine you.
They have many reason to do this, tracking you, and as they would say, to avoid election fraud.
Reply 28
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was introduced by the coalition gov.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-introduces-legislation-for-individual-electoral-registration
Original post by claireestelle
Well it's supposedly not good for getting credit if you aren't on the electoral roll

It takes quite a few points off if you are not registered to vote.
Original post by Theplace
You can live at home and be in full time education at 50. What's the difference?

A 17 year old at home in full time education is unlikely to have £80 to pay the fine. The 50 year old, who would likely have to be paying for their education as it is, is more likely to have that money.
That is quite an assumption. They would also have less momey if they are paying for their own education. However, a fine is a fine. Ask Daddy to pay.
The problem lies in the fact that you don't want to be forced sign up to vote.
Is there a reason. That should be the debate, not the fine, which comes as a shock or seems like a fraud, because you have not seen a fine before.
If your parents owned a restaurant you would have heard of government fines for this and that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
The rules have changed.

Since the end of May??

I'm not saying it wasn't, just that I hadn't heard anything about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just don't be surprised why they show,up at your door...again and again.....
Original post by Andy98
Since the end of May??

I'm not saying it wasn't, just that I hadn't heard anything about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Just don't be surprised why they show,up at your door...again and again.....

What are you on about? I told you I signed up in time for the referendum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
What are you on about? I told you I signed up in time for the referendum

Posted from TSR Mobile

So why are you kvetching?
Reply 36
So why are you kvetching?

What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adesola15
It affects your credit rating?!? :afraid:

For whatever reason having a different bank account address to your address on the electoral roll makes a big difference to your credit rating.

It takes a while to build a good credit rating, especially if you don't use credit cards much. So you might as well do all you can to improve it whilst you are debt free in case you suddenly need to take out any loans or a mortgage in the future.
Original post by Palette
This happened seven months ago but I am still somewhat confused by this. I understand that compulsory registration plays an important role in combatting electoral fraud, but I wonder if the letter was sent by mistake as the voting age is 18 and I'm currently 17.It also threatened me with an eighty pound fine if I didn't register, which is absurd as I'm a full time secondary school student meaning that I'm not even earning any money yet.

I got a letter asking me to register a few months ago, and I am only 16. Stupidly I got all excited as I thought I was going to be able to vote. I hear that when you've registered once you never have to do it again. Is this true?
Reply 39
Original post by SassyC989
I got a letter asking me to register a few months ago, and I am only 16. Stupidly I got all excited as I thought I was going to be able to vote. I hear that when you've registered once you never have to do it again. Is this true?

I believe so.

I am now 18 so I am actually grateful in hindsight that they forced me to register with the snap election coming up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending