The Student Room Group

HND course

Hi me and my friend are both potentially stuck in the same boat though I'm still waiting on SF to process my application.

I'll try and sum it up in bullet points to make it easier to understand.

Course Information
* Course: HND Business
* Length: 3/4 Years
* After two years of the HND transfer to the business BA
* Either transfer to second year of BA or third year dependent on grades

My friends issue
* Completed first year of HND
* Ran into issues on the second year
* Re-did the second year of HND on the bases it was a 'gift year'
* SF are saying they won't cover the tuition fee for the second year of Business BA but will cover the final year, maintenance loan is provided however

My issue
* All of the above (though waiting on SF to process my app) except I had extenuating circumstances, on a number of meetings with the my course director and module lectures I said I wanted to redo the second year, my course director said as long as SF will 'cover it' its fine.

Question
Now I'm worried I'll be in the same boat as my friend, but by what I can gather is that what I should have been advised to do by the uni is apply for extenuating circumstances. This would of allowed me to redo the year and get financing for the BA? Especially as second year HND retake is capped at 40% so I have to transfer to second year BA regardless.

So I've downloaded the extenuating circumstance form from my uni and got all my evidence together. And if SF say they won't cover it will I need to get the uni to provide info to SF that I had to redo the year due to extenuating circumstances?

Also from reading the student room I've seen users say SF won't cover the first year of BA when transferring from HND but never second year funding issues which is confusing for me. It makes me think they could of gotten my friends application wrong.

The finance I've received so for is
2 Years HND
1 Gift year
So should I be left with two years of finance available?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there.

How many years is the degree course in total from first year to last?

We take the ordinary duration of your new course add on your extra year and subtract years of previous study, so assuming the new degree course is 3 years ordinarily this would be:

(3 + 1) - 3 = 1.

This means you have one year of funding left, and this is always given in the final year.

For the year you're not entitled to full funding you can still apply for a maintenance loan and any additional grants such as Childcare Grant and Parent's Learning Allowance if these apply.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by Brian SFE
Hi there.

How many years is the degree course in total from first year to last?

We take the ordinary duration of your new course add on your extra year and subtract years of previous study, so assuming the new degree course is 3 years ordinarily this would be:

(3 + 1) - 3 = 1.

This means you have one year of funding left, and this is always given in the final year.

For the year you're not entitled to full funding you can still apply for a maintenance loan and any additional grants such as Childcare Grant and Parent's Learning Allowance if these apply.

Thanks.

Hi thanks for getting back to me

The degree is two years as you go straight into second year of the BA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending