The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CallieJo
Thank you!!!! 😆😆😆😆

Thank you! Yes, a massive relief!! ☺️

Thanks!!! I'm so happy! It still doesn't feel real 😂 Yea, he was ok this examiner.... he called my driving instructor over after the test & then called me over coz the examiner who unfairly failed me is going around saying that my instructor threatened him when he told me I failed! Literally all he asked him was if I indicated 🤔🙄

You're welcome ☺️ aw bless.
Hahah oh dear 🙄🤔 the examiner probably knew he did wrong in your last test and probably felt bad about it 🤔🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cherryred90s
Nice and early for my 10:30 lesson(: this is my last lesson for 2 weeks, I'm afraid I'll forget everything I know

Aw I doubt you'll forget, there had been a few occasions where I had a week break in between lessons for different reasons, and it was fine :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Didn't we all lol

I'll master it, one day...:P
Reply 783
Learning to drive can be fun or it can be harrowing. Much depends upon your instructor do you gel in the one to one situation in the car? Does the instructor make you feel uncomfortable if you make a mistake? Does you instructor point out your mistakes or are you being treated as a joy-ride for the instructor? If you are happy in that department, it's possible that you are seeing your test as an ordeal. Are you scared of examiners? This is quite common, when I had pupils with "examiner phobia" I used to phone the test centre and ask for permission to bring my pupil down for a look round and possibly meet the examiners. This was never refused and it was good to see the positive effect it had on the pupil. Ask your instructor to sit in the back on the test, it's a great way for the instructor to put his finger on the errors you made.(That's if you fail, of course!!)Lastly, I used to work with a couple of colleagues and we used to mock-test each others' pupils about three weeks before their test this was good practice for the pupil and an opportunity to be in the car with a complete stranger, which often used to dispel 'test nerves'. Remember, you are paying for the lessons, get the best out of them that you can
Original post by id1brok
Learning to drive can be fun or it can be harrowing. Much depends upon your instructor do you gel in the one to one situation in the car? Does the instructor make you feel uncomfortable if you make a mistake? Does you instructor point out your mistakes or are you being treated as a joy-ride for the instructor? If you are happy in that department, it's possible that you are seeing your test as an ordeal. Are you scared of examiners? This is quite common, when I had pupils with "examiner phobia" I used to phone the test centre and ask for permission to bring my pupil down for a look round and possibly meet the examiners. This was never refused and it was good to see the positive effect it had on the pupil. Ask your instructor to sit in the back on the test, it's a great way for the instructor to put his finger on the errors you made.(That's if you fail, of course!!)Lastly, I used to work with a couple of colleagues and we used to mock-test each others' pupils about three weeks before their test this was good practice for the pupil and an opportunity to be in the car with a complete stranger, which often used to dispel 'test nerves'. Remember, you are paying for the lessons, get the best out of them that you can

Sound advice! ☺️
Nice and early for my 10:30 lesson(: this is my last lesson for 2 weeks, I'm afraid I'll forget everything I know

Wouldn't worry, I had a lesson and then a gap of two weeks before I jumped in on test day and I passed with 1 minor :smile: I also went a whole year without driving (after passing and doing a year's worth of driving) and when I started driving again it was like a never stopped. You never just forget how to drive :wink:
I have a lesson later today and gonna learn to park in bay... Any tips?
Had my 3rd lesson with an instructor yesterday. Went surprisingly well. I had to do a hill start whilst coming out of a junction (it was my first hill start and I found it easy). I went on a few busy roundabouts. Still coming to grips with breaking (keep putting the clutch down too early or too late - I can never seem to do it at the right time).
Original post by Muttski
Had my 3rd lesson with an instructor yesterday. Went surprisingly well. I had to do a hill start whilst coming out of a junction (it was my first hill start and I found it easy). I went on a few busy roundabouts. Still coming to grips with breaking (keep putting the clutch down too early or too late - I can never seem to do it at the right time).

That's good :smile:! And don't worry, you'll get there with breaking and when to press the clutch, just need more practice (obviously) :biggrin: :redface: :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
ugh had a lesson today and i'm still struggling ( it's been a while since i last had a lesson) and i keep doing the same things in each lesson, my instructor always says we'll learn this or that in the next lesson but we never end up doing that. it's costing so much as well, maybe i should find another instructor ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure how Im going to fit in lessons around my Masters degree :/. It will so much easy getting to Uni if I could drive. However, driving to uni would cost about £70 more a week than Im already spending getting there due to fuel. Swings & Roundabouts I guess.

Plus, I do feel sorry for anyone in Swindon (my 2nd closest test centre), who has to drive over the Magic Roundabout on their test:

magic roundabout.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jack22031994
Not sure how Im going to fit in lessons around my Masters degree :/. It will so much easy getting to Uni if I could drive. However, driving to uni would cost about £70 more a week than Im already spending getting there due to fuel. Swings & Roundabouts I guess.

Plus, I do feel sorry for anyone in Swindon (my 2nd closest test centre), who has to drive over the Magic Roundabout on their test:

magic roundabout.jpg

It's doable I suppose fitting lessons around uni. I'm in my last year of uni myself, and have a part time job, so there's a couple of days where I have free that I can do my lessons in, though hopefully I'll pass my test beginning of next month so that'll be that with lessons hopefully :colondollar: :redface:

Oh wow, looking at that magic roundabout has given me a slight headache/made me feel slightly dizzy :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
It's doable I suppose fitting lessons around uni. I'm in my last year of uni myself, and have a part time job, so there's a couple of days where I have free that I can do my lessons in, though hopefully I'll pass my test beginning of next month so that'll be that with lessons hopefully :colondollar: :redface:

Oh wow, looking at that magic roundabout has given me a slight headache/made me feel slightly dizzy :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it would've been around my undergrad but my Masters will require so much outside work.

Same here! 6 roundabouts! The thing is if you go round the mini roundabouts the right way it will feel like youre going round the central one the wrong way eek

So glad I not doing any test in Swindon

Plus, my younger sister of 4 years has her driving test on Tuesday and i think she'll pass as she drives her car a lot more than I drive mine (she drives to work with our dad, and picks mum up from work which is a 40 mile round trip twice a week) I don't :/

If she passes it's good I guess but it'll probably make me feel useless haha :/
Yeah, it would've been around my undergrad but my Masters will require so much outside work.

Same here! 6 roundabouts! The thing is if you go round the mini roundabouts the right way it will feel like youre going round the central one the wrong way eek

So glad I not doing any test in Swindon

Plus, my younger sister of 4 years has her driving test on Tuesday and i think she'll pass as she drives her car a lot more than I drive mine (she drives to work with our dad, and picks mum up from work which is a 40 mile round trip twice a week) I don't :/

If she passes it's good I guess but it'll probably make me feel useless haha :/

Fair enough :smile:

True. Same so glad I'm not living in Swindon/taking my test there :colondollar:

Ah fair enough. Aw bless :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough :smile:

True. Same so glad I'm not living in Swindon/taking my test there :colondollar:

Ah fair enough. Aw bless :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive rebooked my test anyway for November so fingers crossed, this time! :smile:
Ive rebooked my test anyway for November so fingers crossed, this time! :smile:

Ah that's good, yeah hopefully you'll pass next time :smile:! I've got mine next week, hopefully I'll pass :redface: did a mock test in my lesson today and passed the mock, so I'm hoping if I drive in my test like I did today then I'll be fine :colondollar: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah that's good, yeah hopefully you'll pass next time :smile:! I've got mine next week, hopefully I'll pass :redface: did a mock test in my lesson today and passed the mock, so I'm hoping if I drive in my test like I did today then I'll be fine :colondollar: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah hopefully :smile:

Ah thats good and well done! Good Confidence boost :smile: Yeah you will :smile:

My sister failed today btw 4 minors 1 major

Ah thats good and well done! Good Confidence boost :smile: Yeah you will :smile:

What was the major for?

Yeah :smile:

Ah no :frown:! What happened in her test?:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lemonandlime1
What was the major for?

Yeah :smile:

Ah no :frown:! What happened in her test?:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

she was creeping at a roundabout (slowly), and way before she had got the white line, the examiner hit the brakes . Her instructor isn't happy about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending