The Student Room Group

Did you intentionally choose RG unis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nemanuel96
I haven't enrolled.

The RG uni asked me to send my certificates but it got lost so they rejected me 3 days later. So here I am on my second gap year reapplying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no :frown:. Hope everything works out this time round. Tell me you've sorted out your certificates crisis?
Except within IB and PE roles. They have a very archaic and primitive approach when it comes to recruiting for intern and grad positions.

RG = Good
Anything else = Bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll let @Princepieman answer...
(edited 7 years ago)
I actually just checked and all mine are actually RG lmao. Not intentional.
Except within IB and PE roles. They have a very archaic and primitive approach when it comes to recruiting for intern and grad positions.

RG = Good
Anything else = Bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all of the RG have good recruiting for any of the careers where uni name matters (e.g. corp law, FO banking, consulting etc) - the advantage really only goes to about 15 or so universities all told. Everything else is largely much of a muchness in terms of recruiting effort applied.

Anyway, I think people should choose their university based on their particular goals in life and how that university can facilitate those goals - e.g if you want to go into product design what is the point in going to an "RG' uni when Loughborough and Brunel have the best programs in the nation?

Lets not kid ourselves here, this grad prospects stuff is largely down to innate qualities in incoming students and how those match what employers are looking for than some arbitrary comparison of RG vs non-RG. The case is, if a candidate for a position (outwith the exceptions that don't even account for 5% of grad jobs where it obviously does help and is a factor - albeit not as broad as RG but as mentioned a more select arbitrary grouping) is capable they will be called for intervew regardless of what their alma mater was. Even in areas that highly overrepresent a small grouping of universities, one can still overcome the bias by just being a strong candidate showcased by their achievements and experiences.

In ending, no, not every non-RG uni is "bad" and not every RG uni is necessarily "good". Those value judgements are not only subjective but are problematic in that it shows a distinct ignorance on whoever is casting them.
Original post by jneill
You are going to a "good" university because you already checked it has the best course for you.

If you are good enough to get into a "good" university then you already have an advantage. You will then have spent your time at that "good" university making the most of the opportunities it offers you, through the course and extra-curricular. Those opportunities should enable you to present yourself as a highly skilled and employable candidate.

The particular name of that university is (or should be) irrelevant to a recruiter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but what if these opportunities aren't equal to or even worse than those provided at not so "good" uni's? Then you are essentially defined by the opportunities offered at your chosen uni and if you are at a more "academic" uni you will have less time for these extra-curricular engagements

thus it would seem that employers would choose to ignore academic achievement/ability for what courses/internships you've done in the last couple of years - things that any idiot could complete

christ i thought capitalism was unfair as it was, never mind now that apparently meritocracy doesnt exist either
Original post by Inexorably
I actually just checked and all mine are actually RG lmao. Not intentional.

That happens to a lot of people lol. :smile:
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Hi fellow university applicants! :h: It looks like applications and offers are well in motion. I'm just curious to know wheather or not you applied to RG universities? If so was it intentially done because of the universities' status or because you figured that the universities were genuinely good for your desired courses? Are all 5 of your choices RG unis?

Spoiler

I think a lot of people apply to RG universities for their own reasons. However, there are some universities which are good and not in RG.
Reply 127
Original post by Strimpy
but what if these opportunities aren't equal to or even worse than those provided at not so "good" uni's? Then you are essentially defined by the opportunities offered at your chosen uni and if you are at a more "academic" uni you will have less time for these extra-curricular engagements

thus it would seem that employers would choose to ignore academic achievement/ability for what courses/internships you've done in the last couple of years - things that any idiot could complete

christ i thought capitalism was unfair as it was, never mind now that apparently meritocracy doesnt exist either

Yeh it's sad but it's reality.
Original post by Princepieman
Not all of the RG have good recruiting for any of the careers where uni name matters (e.g. corp law, FO banking, consulting etc) - the advantage really only goes to about 15 or so universities all told. Everything else is largely much of a muchness in terms of recruiting effort applied.

Anyway, I think people should choose their university based on their particular goals in life and how that university can facilitate those goals - e.g if you want to go into product design what is the point in going to an "RG' uni when Loughborough and Brunel have the best programs in the nation?

Lets not kid ourselves here, this grad prospects stuff is largely down to innate qualities in incoming students and how those match what employers are looking for than some arbitrary comparison of RG vs non-RG. The case is, if a candidate for a position (outwith the exceptions that don't even account for 5% of grad jobs where it obviously does help and is a factor - albeit not as broad as RG but as mentioned a more select arbitrary grouping) is capable they will be called for intervew regardless of what their alma mater was. Even in areas that highly overrepresent a small grouping of universities, one can still overcome the bias by just being a strong candidate showcased by their achievements and experiences.

In ending, no, not every non-RG uni is "bad" and not every RG uni is necessarily "good". Those value judgements are not only subjective but are problematic in that it shows a distinct ignorance on whoever is casting them.

What unis are "good" for IB?
Reply 129
Original post by goatygoat
just proves my point haha :biggrin:

*tips horns*

Indeed - I completely agree with the point you made! I have no horns to tip back sorry
Original post by Strimpy

It's up to you to make the most of any opportunities. "Academic" universities such as (randomly) Cambridge also offer MANY extra-curricular opportunities. What they don't (usually) offer are a year in industry, but you can more than make up for that by internships, etc in the longer summer vacations.
I feel like these unis are overated.
i live in scotland though, so i feel most people apply to scottish unis from scotland
I definitely didn't - choosing to apply to universities because they're in the Russell Group is an awful idea! To be honest, it took me ages to work out how many of those that I applied to were, because I didn't even consider that!

I'm at Lancaster, which is one of only 6 universities in the UK to be in the top ten in all three major league tables - and isn't in the Russell Group. I had (bar Oxbridge) pretty much my pick of universities, with A*A*A* at A level and AAAAAB at AS level, but Russell Group didn't even come into it.
Original post by Chloe slay
I applied to high end RG unis last year and ended up turning them all down for Royal Holloway because none of them did my joint honours course and I didn't want to do straight psychology for the sake of reputation/research. Seems to have been a good decision so far! Some people might think it was stupid but it's a matter of which course you'll enjoy most as you are bound to apply yourself more :smile:

So much this! I turned down an offer from Durham in favour of Lancaster, and had so many people on tsr telling me it was a stupid decision, but it's the best decision of my life so far! :smile:
Original post by jneill
It's up to you to make the most of any opportunities. "Academic" universities such as (randomly) Cambridge also offer MANY extra-curricular opportunities. What they don't (usually) offer are a year in industry, but you can more than make up for that by internships, etc in the longer summer vacations.

yeah but using cambridge as an example, if you get into cambridge you're obviously academically excellent, dedicated and very bright. Clearly attributes any potential employer is going to be after. These valuable attributes would then be completely hidden/negated by them choosing to just ignore what uni you attended

plus cambridge (as im also applying) doesnt seem to have the same industry links that other less "good" uni's have for example Southampton (only using as example because also applying there), so by the so-called logic of these firms why would anyone choose to attend an academically prestigious institution such as Cambridge when you could attend a place like Southampton, less stress about getting perfect a-levels, easier to get a decent degree classification + better industry opportunities

on a serious note, is there any actual proof that firms actually do this? as in ignore uni attended for graduates
or is it just more PR b******t as it really wouldnt seem to make any sense for them to do this
Original post by Strimpy

What opportunities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied to Bristol, Cambridge, Exeter and Warwick in RG; also applied to Bath, cos it's strong in Maths (well, and quite a few other things too I believe.)
Reply 137
Original post by loveire&song
I definitely didn't - choosing to apply to universities because they're in the Russell Group is an awful idea! To be honest, it took me ages to work out how many of those that I applied to were, because I didn't even consider that!

I'm at Lancaster, which is one of only 6 universities in the UK to be in the top ten in all three major league tables - and isn't in the Russell Group. I had (bar Oxbridge) pretty much my pick of universities, with A*A*A* at A level and AAAAAB at AS level, but Russell Group didn't even come into it.

This can't be serious.
Original post by samendrag
What unis are "good" for IB?

Been covered to death, peruse the ib forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
I am going to be applying to Manchester, Nottingham, KCL, UCL and Surrey for Mathematics. Really want offers from Manchester and Nottingham. Congrats on your offer from Manchester. What is your conditional offer for Manchester?

I'm lost - Are you doing STEP?

Good Unis for Maths I thought would be Durham and Lancaster. O well.

Tbh Manchester may be high on the league tables but I cannot be bothered with the city itself...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending