The Student Room Group

Maexeni Contraceptive Pill

Before starting uni I was taking Rigevidon, however I got to the end of my last card last week so needed to get some more. I didn't get a chance to see my GP at home, so today I went to the sexual health clinic here to pick up some more. The doctor gave me one called Maexeni instead of Rigevidon. I understand that it has exactly the same active ingredients as Regevidon and all that, but I've never heard of this brand before when reading through threads.

I was just wondering if anyone else is on Maexeni, and how it is for them? Mostly I read about people being prescribed Rigevidon instead of their regular pill because apparently it's cheaper for the NHS, which is why I'm slightly confused as to why I've been given a different one when I was already on the pill they seem to be switching everyone to?

I'm not too worried about it, it just seems a bit strange to me. (I know it doesn't matter but I'm also slightly gutted because these ones look harder to swallow than Rigevidon and aren't sugar coated :frown: plus Rigevidon had better packaging, haha :bawling:)

Scroll to see replies

hi, im in the exact same situation, hows maexenil working for u so far? got given it today and am slightly confused/curious
Reply 2
I've been on Maexeni since I started using the contraceptive pill, last year around June time. I have had no problems with it as of yet and have only noticed an increase in my boob size- which I can't complain about. One thing I have noticed is that when I have my week off I have started to get slightly worse cramps than I had done before when I was on my period. Overall nothing major, hopefully this helps! x
I have been on maexeni for a month now and I can see that my body is still adjusting, haven't noticed and significant increases in boob size but do have much worse cramps during my withdrawal bleed which is extremely annoying!
Reply 4
Just a long overdue update for anyone interested:

I've been on Maexeni for just over 6 months now and everything seems to be going fine.

My body seemed to adjust to it really quickly - my cycle started running like clockwork almost immediately, which never quite seemed to happen while I was on Rigevidon (although I was only on it for 3 months so it may not have had time). My first pill-free day falls on a Sunday and my withdrawal bleed always start the following Wednesday and only lasts 4 days. As far as I can remember my bleeds were always longer while I was taking Rigevidon (but again, only 3 months).

I haven't really experienced any side-effects, positive or negative (no extra boobage for me :frown:). Saying that, my skin seems to have improved quite a bit, although it could just be down to age and having a better skin-care routine. I do experience quite bad cramping for a day or two of my break, but I've always suffered from bad cramps so I'm not sure if that's due to the pill or just my mardy womb - it's never anything an ibuprofen can't fix though.

I did experience some slight break-through bleeding half-way thorough my sixth pack - it was nothing major, just a bit of light spotting as if my period was about to start, and only lasted like a day or two. I'm not sure what caused it, but I'd slept through my alarm and taken my pill a lot later than usual for a few days in a row so it could have been that. I'm not gonna worry about it unless it keeps happening.

So yeah that's all I have to report, Maexeni seems to be doing it's job fine for me and hopefully it's doing okay for everyone else too!
x
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I've been using Maexeni for a under a year now and it's mostly positive apart from the weight gain I have had which hasn't been good as I've gone up a size in all clothes and also a bigger appetite than before.
Hey I'm about to start using maexeni but I wanted t know when you start taking it do you bleed because I'm planning on having sex in 10 days time and I didn't want to start bleeding and it preventing me from having sex 😬 Just a thought
How many weeks off need to stop taking the pills ? I messed up with it and i¨m confused which i never used any of it . Pls let me know.
Reply 8
I get really really bad cramps do u have any suggestions on how to help it taken multiple types of painkillers hasn't helped 😭
Where can I get Maexeni pills please? My GP (UK) doesn't prescribe them for cost reasons probably but I am happy to pay for them but cant find them at Superdrug or Lloyds either!Thanks!
Reply 10
Thanks for sharing this, i am exactly in the same situation as you do as well, just started taking, and aiming for taking only two months, will see how it goes.Was wondering whether you have any updates since after, e.g. side effects etc. thanks!
Reply 11
I am using Maexeni for 1 year and 3 months and it dramatically decreased immediatley the terrible pain I had during my period and the amount of the blood. I gained a little weight in the last year, but I think because I eat too much sweet and snack and dont do exercises, so I dont think so my weight gaining caused by the pills. I just noticed today that LLoyd Sexual Health Clinic is not available anymore at London Bridge, where I received my pills. So Im really freaked out, because this is my last leaf of pills. I tried to order Rigevidon through Superdrug pharmacy, hope its gonna be as good as Maexeni.
Original post by *ArsENaL LovR4LyF* FAtzK
Where can I get Maexeni pills please? My GP (UK) doesn't prescribe them for cost reasons probably but I am happy to pay for them but cant find them at Superdrug or Lloyds either!Thanks!

Try your local sexual health clinic. That's where I get mine, free of charge
I have been taking maexeni for just over a week now and was wondering if I am still protected during the 7 day break, does anyone know? I can’t find it saying that anywhere on the leaflet and what is the time window of taking the pill each day? Bc I usually take it between 7-8am each morning but don’t know how strict to be with timings!
I have been using Maexeni for just under 2 weeks now and one significant change I've noticed is breast enlargement, although I'm not complaining they are very sore and tender at the minute! Slight cramps too
I've also just been changed onto Maexeni from Rigevidon, again when I was going to the sexual health clinic rather than the GP. It makes sense for it to work exactly as Rigevidon does as it's got the same hormones, but not going to lie I'm paranoid (I was switched onto Loestrin about a year ago, had total hell for four or five months with my period starting a week early and lasting 14 days, random mid cycle breakthrough bleeding, total inability to delay a period (NOT fun when you're long distance and half the reason you're on the pill rather than the implant etc is to have that increased control) before they put me back on Rigevidon). I'm experiencing a little bleeding in week two of taking the pills but in all honesty I've had a lot of sex this weekend and I guess it could possibly be that? I'm hoping, at least - anyone else had the same thing?
Reply 16
Hi. I've been in the exact same situation. Got the Maexeini from sexual health clinic as my gp was closed. Wasn't sure first but started to take it. It's been 6 month now and I now I specifically searching to make sure which clinic offers Maexeini so I can get some more. It worked very well for my mood shifts and pms. I was on microgynon and rigevidon before, both are more expensive but funny enough Maexini works the best for me. Please note that bodies are different so you may react differently. I just said my experience.
I've been on Maexeni for a week now after switching from the implant (after only a month and a half) and so far so good! I feel a lot more in control of my period which is nice, hopefully I won't get any side effects. I've noticed my stomach has been a little bit unsettled in the mornings with tmi bit of runny stool, but nothing bad. The only thing I'm anxious about now is having my pills on me at all time (even though I take them when I wake up). I keep them in a small wallet which I carry with me alongside my actual wallet. I'm a bit paranoid like that. Does anyone have advice on how to keep them safe while travelling/and when out in high or low temperatures? Thank you xxx
I also used to be on Rigevidon and then my doctor gave me Maexini and told me it was the same thing by a different company - she definitely lied! I’ve been on Maexini for almost two months now, and I’ve been experiencing severe mood swings, lack of libido, bleeding between breaks and painful sex. Needless to say, it really doesn’t work for me and I’ll be enquiring about a replacement, but that’s not to suggest that it won’t work for others.
Hi has anyone experienced hair loss with Maexeni? I’m on my first pick but the last set and only today I have realised a massive chunk of hair has gone? This has never happened before but I can only imagine it is because of this pill, I used to be on rigevidon but aparantly they’re both the same? If anyone could help me out that will be brilliant as i am FREAKING OUT Thankyou.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest