The Student Room Group

Can I send my application off without a reference - individual applicant

I'm planning to apply for University this year to study a bsc with a foundation year. I'm having a real issue in trying to get a reference as I left college in 2015 and since then have had no real stable job which I'm able to get a reference from.

I tried contacting my old college and all they could offer was to forward my query to 2 of the tutors who are still there from my time in 2015. They forwarded the email and since then I've sent numerous emails/phone calls trying to get a reference off of them with no luck, they don't seem to be interested.

I'm wondering what my chances are of being accepted into a foundation year course without attaching a reference onto my UCAS application and if anybody is familiar with or has done this in the past? What was your experience?

It's getting to the point where I am considering doing just that and just sending my application off. I have the necessary UCAS points and GCSEs. My personal statement is also pretty good. I'm just a little hesitant as I know you can't attach a reference to your application once you've sent it off and don't want to risk burning my application for this year only to get 5 rejections.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
If you don't wanna get in, sure. Your application will just be auto-rejected by anywhere you apply to.
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
If you don't wanna get in, sure. Your application will just be auto-rejected by anywhere you apply to.

It can't be that black and white surely?
Original post by RB22
It can't be that black and white surely?

Who's gonna give you a job without a reference from someone to say you're not a psychopath? Same for getting into university. Try getting a job without a reference and see what it's like...
Reply 4
Original post by Glassapple
Who's gonna give you a job without a reference from someone to say you're not a psychopath? Same for getting into university. Try getting a job without a reference and see what it's like...

I mean there are many jobs that don't require a reference and I wouldn't really equate going to university with having a job. In a job the employer is paying you to work for them therefore have leverage over you and have more stringent checks. University is more of a customer relationship.

There's a tick box on UCAS which allows you to submit without a reference so I was just curious.

Anyway I won't get too carried away as I was the one asking and I'm kind of answering my own question here. :laugh:
You can try contacting the unis and tell them why you can't get one, maybe they'll interview you instead but it does say on ucas that you need them
Reply 6
Original post by Kravence
You can try contacting the unis and tell them why you can't get one, maybe they'll interview you instead but it does say on ucas that you need them

Yeah I'll probably give that a go on Friday.

Reply 7
on ucas website it says you can apply to uni without references. However, you should contact these Uni's first and if they agree, you need to tick that box in your ucas application
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending