The Student Room Group

Maintaining relationship after 1 year

Just over a year with my boyfriend and wanted to know what advice anyone would give relationships that are 1year + and how to maintain them.

I'm more in the content , relaxed stage and as uni will start soon, i've been spending more time with him than usual. But knowing how hard this semester will be, I feel like it will add weight on our relationship, especially the free time we get.

So my question is, how to maintain it during those times?
I guess try and keep a good balance, like see each other frequently but make sure to leave time for other things aswell-friends, family, work etc. If the stress starts getting to you or putting strain on your relationship it's always good to make sure you're communicating with your partner and have some healthy way of relaxing in your spare time. Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Always make time for each other, try new things on dates, maybe go on holiday? And maybe start to discuss where you may want things to start heading, and any plans tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by VaticanCameos
I guess try and keep a good balance, like see each other frequently but make sure to leave time for other things aswell-friends, family, work etc. If the stress starts getting to you or putting strain on your relationship it's always good to make sure you're communicating with your partner and have some healthy way of relaxing in your spare time. Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, thank you for your advice. And we usually see each other 3 times a week but I know for sure I'll be extremely busy. But, I will take on the advice of communicating more and having time for myself. I'm a person who also loves her own space too. But thank you for your suggestion
Reply 4
Original post by Rhythmical
Always make time for each other, try new things on dates, maybe go on holiday? And maybe start to discuss where you may want things to start heading, and any plans tbh.

I was thinking about that and realising that date night itself will probably be once a month as things go on. And we've discussed things. Luckily after this we'll be living much closer to each other and more able to hang out more. It's going to be an hetic 5 months.

And also, I have an issue. my deadline is 3 days before his birthday but I feel guilty for going home a week after. But, I sense that I will have to because of my family and work . Not sure what to do.
Original post by Anaa95
Firstly, thank you for your advice. And we usually see each other 3 times a week but I know for sure I'll be extremely busy. But, I will take on the advice of communicating more and having time for myself. I'm a person who also loves her own space too. But thank you for your suggestion

No worries. Yeah I guess it's just a case of making time for each other even when you're busy, which i know from my own experience is really difficult! It's good that you enjoy your own space :yep: I'm the type of person who always needs a bit of breathing room after spending time with one person for a long period of time- maybe you're the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by VaticanCameos
No worries. Yeah I guess it's just a case of making time for each other even when you're busy, which i know from my own experience is really difficult! It's good that you enjoy your own space :yep: I'm the type of person who always needs a bit of breathing room after spending time with one person for a long period of time- maybe you're the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am and I also love sleep. But when i'm stressed, my own space is best so, i don't get irritated by other as easy .

Thank you for your advice
Original post by Anaa95
I was thinking about that and realising that date night itself will probably be once a month as things go on. And we've discussed things. Luckily after this we'll be living much closer to each other and more able to hang out more. It's going to be an hetic 5 months.

And also, I have an issue. my deadline is 3 days before his birthday but I feel guilty for going home a week after. But, I sense that I will have to because of my family and work . Not sure what to do.

Hmm yeah that does sound like a dilemma, I guess you have to consider what comes first, I was terrible at managing studies and a relationship, one of the main reasons we broke off but partly because we did different things.
Reply 8
Original post by Rhythmical
Hmm yeah that does sound like a dilemma, I guess you have to consider what comes first, I was terrible at managing studies and a relationship, one of the main reasons we broke off but partly because we did different things.

:/ I can see how that can happen and i'm dreading that with mine. So i'm trying to compromise a bit more but, I think I will wait until I know his exam timetable and work around that. And I know he'll be staying here over summer so, either way. I'll have to leave and I'll come back for visits when I can. But all this is until May. Maybe i should just take things a step at a time. I just dread the long distant relationship stage because it puts so much weight on us - especially last year.
Open communication
Keep some independence
If you get less time together try and make it better quality, don't just sit mindlessly in front of the TV, take a day trip or go for dinner and talk or go for a walk
if you're both super busy it can help to make a 'date night' which you spend together every week
Working out together can be a lot of fun + good for stress relieving
Try and find out what each other needs during stressful periods... for example, I need to talk about what's bothering me, my boyfriend hates talking and needs to do something which will keep him busy... so you can offer it
Reply 10
Original post by doodle_333
Open communication
Keep some independence
If you get less time together try and make it better quality, don't just sit mindlessly in front of the TV, take a day trip or go for dinner and talk or go for a walk
if you're both super busy it can help to make a 'date night' which you spend together every week
Working out together can be a lot of fun + good for stress relieving
Try and find out what each other needs during stressful periods... for example, I need to talk about what's bothering me, my boyfriend hates talking and needs to do something which will keep him busy... so you can offer it

I see and thank you for your advice. very useful and I'll remember that when it gets really busy
Original post by Anaa95
Just over a year with my boyfriend and wanted to know what advice anyone would give relationships that are 1year + and how to maintain them.

I'm more in the content , relaxed stage and as uni will start soon, i've been spending more time with him than usual. But knowing how hard this semester will be, I feel like it will add weight on our relationship, especially the free time we get.

So my question is, how to maintain it during those times?

Communicate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending