The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm unfairly being classed as an EU student by Scottish universities

I've applied to both Edinburgh and St Andrews. I applied to Edinburgh last year and was unsuccessful, having been predicted A*AA for maths (which last year was a standard AAA-now been boosted I believe to A*AA, not that bitter :wink: ) However I was classed as an EU student, because of my mother's Irish passport. At the time, the idea of paying 2.5 grand as opposed to 9 seemed attractive, however when I didn't get an offer, a part of me thought I was short of the standard required, but another part of me thought that it was because I didn't make the quota for EU students.
I'm British-have a British passport, was born in London and have spent all my life in London. My dad is British, born in England and my mum is Irish, born in Northern Ireland. I know that if you wish universities to reconsider your fee status you must write to them, but I probably qualify via some rule for being an EU student. Does anyone else think this is unfair? I'd happily pay 9 grand since I could end up paying that at 3 other places.

Scroll to see replies

I'm confused - how do you know you were classed as an EU student? You are a British national and you are resident in the UK so you will have been classed as a home-RUK (British person living outside Scotland) student. Having Irish citizenship does not make you an EU student, student finance is determined by your residency (where you live) - not your passport.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I'm confused - how do you know you were classed as an EU student? You are a British national and you are resident in the UK so you will have been classed as a home-RUK (British person living outside Scotland) student. Having Irish citizenship does not make you an EU student, student finance is determined by your residency (where you live) - not your passport.

I was emailed to tell me when I applied last year. Well that's what I think it should be, but it's to do with the fact my mum has an Irish passport, despite myself being nothing but British.
Original post by polymath98
I was emailed to tell me when I applied last year. Well that's what I think it should be, but it's to do with the fact my mum has an Irish passport, despite myself being nothing but British.

Student finance is absolutely zero to do with citizenship, it's all to do with normal residency. You are normally resident in England so you will be charged £9k per annum if you do to any uni in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by super_kawaii
Student finance is absolutely zero to do with citizenship, it's all to do with normal residency. You are normally resident in England so you will be charged £9k per annum if you do to any uni in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not what I was told last year though..but thanks
Reply 5
I mean they wouldn't ask to see mine and my parents passports if it wasn't about nationality
That's not what I was told last year though..but thanks

It would have been exactly the same last year. You will not qualify as an EU student unless you live in an EU country for 5 continuous years for reasons other than your parents job or education. Becoming an EU student you also renounce your right to a maintenance loan.

You are a home studebf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
As far as Edinburgh is concerned: ' UK citizens who have utilised their right of residence in the EU or have a parent who is an EU (non-UK) citizen will have a fee status of Home-EU.'

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/fees-finance/fee-status
Reply 8
It would have been exactly the same last year. You will not qualify as an EU student unless you live in an EU country for 5 continuous years for reasons other than your parents job or education. Becoming an EU student you also renounce your right to a maintenance loan.

You are a home studebf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well....IMG_0152.PNG
Well....IMG_0152.PNG

If you read carefully it states "estimated", not confirmed. You will be a home student due to your residence, therefore £9k fees and eligibility for maintenance loans

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should not assume your failure to get an offer is because of some EU-related quota. Find out about it instead of indulging in speculation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is not entirely true. I have been resident in England for >5 years, but because I have an EU citizenship I am classed as an EU student.

OP is likely being classed as an EU student because (I believe) a parent having an Irish citizenship makes you eligible for one as well.
OP should have (or should, if they're reapplying this year) submitted a fee status assessment form to check why they've been assessed as an EU student and contested it if they disagree (worth reading the fee status laws, here). Otherwise there's nothing to be done because they legally must be charged the lower fees once they've been assessed as EU.
Original post by trythis
This is not entirely true. I have been resident in England for >5 years, but because I have an EU citizenship I am classed as an EU student.

OP is likely being classed as an EU student because (I believe) a parent having an Irish citizenship makes you eligible for one as well.
OP should have (or should, if they're reapplying this year) submitted a fee status assessment form to check why they've been assessed as an EU student and contested it if they disagree (worth reading the fee status laws, here). Otherwise there's nothing to be done because they legally must be charged the lower fees once they've been assessed as EU.

What was your purpose for being in the U.K.? If your main purpose for being in the UK was to attend school, then it is correct that you are classified as an EU student and ineligible for tax payer funded maintenance loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What was your purpose for being in the U.K.? If your main purpose for being in the UK was to attend school, then it is correct that you are classified as an EU student and ineligible for tax payer funded maintenance loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That wasn't my main purpose in the UK - I'm eligible for a maintenance loan.
Original post by trythis
That wasn't my main purpose in the UK - I'm eligible for a maintenance loan.

Unless you are here as a migrant worker, EU students are ineligible for any form of maintenance loan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Ok. All Scottish unis have different policies when it comes to classing EU status.

For example: St Andrews classed me as EU simply because my father, also N.Irish, has an Irish passport. Literally, that was it. And I was born in London but have lived majority of my life in N.Ireland. (And now I hold one too, since I technically have dual nationality, perks).

BUT Dundee and Glasgow classed me as RUK because I had not physically lived in Southern Ireland for more than 30 days, regardless of the Irish citizenship I hold.

OP, I would speak to St Andrews and Edinburgh
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Airmed
Ok. All Scottish unis have different policies when it comes to classing EU status.

For example: St Andrews classed me as EU simply because my father, also N.Irish, has an Irish passport. Literally, that was it. And I was born in London but have lived majority of my life in N.Ireland. (And now I hold one too, since I technically have dual nationality, perks).

BUT Dundee and Glasgow classed me as RUK because I had not physically lived in Southern Ireland for more than 30 days, regardless of the Irish citizenship I hold.

OP, I would speak to St Andrews and Edinburgh

Thanks very much! I will ring them as I have reapplied this year. Very helpful
Reply 17
If you read carefully it states "estimated", not confirmed. You will be a home student due to your residence, therefore £9k fees and eligibility for maintenance loans

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure 'estimated' is to do with the actual figure of around 2k or whatever as by that stage last time I applied, my fee status was confirmed.
Pretty sure 'estimated' is to do with the actual figure of around 2k or whatever as by that stage last time I applied, my fee status was confirmed.

Did they ask you to complete a fee status questionnaire before putting you as EU?
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
Did they ask you to complete a fee status questionnaire before putting you as EU?

I'm not sure, can't remember.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending