The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm unfairly being classed as an EU student by Scottish universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
Ok. All Scottish unis have different policies when it comes to classing EU status.

For example: St Andrews classed me as EU simply because my father, also N.Irish, has an Irish passport. Literally, that was it. And I was born in London but have lived majority of my life in N.Ireland. (And now I hold one too, since I technically have dual nationality, perks).

BUT Dundee and Glasgow classed me as RUK because I had not physically lived in Southern Ireland for more than 30 days, regardless of the Irish citizenship I hold.

OP, I would speak to St Andrews and Edinburgh

That's strange. Might that be because you were living in Northern Ireland at the time? I think the OP said they live in London, so having an Irish passport (or their mother having one) shouldn't make them an EU student. I am a dual British/Irish citizen but when I applied to two Scottish universities (Edinburgh and Aberdeen), they both said I would pay RUK fees because I was living in England.
Reply 21
Original post by Snufkin
That's strange. Might that be because you were living in Northern Ireland at the time? I think the OP said they live in London, so having an Irish passport (or their mother having one) shouldn't make them an EU student. I am a dual British/Irish citizen but when I applied to two Scottish universities (Edinburgh and Aberdeen), they both said I would pay RUK fees because I was living in England.

Yes lived my whole life in London, mother has Irish passport. That's good to know. Thank you!
Original post by polymath98
I'm not sure, can't remember.

These things are LONG (eg http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informationForInternationalStudents/pdf/LSE-Fee-Classification-Questionnaire-2016.pdf ) - you'd remember.

If you haven't completed a questionnaire then your fee status will be based on whatever you put as your fee status on UCAS. It's normal for a fee status questionnaire to over-ride the UCAS classification.
Reply 23
Original post by Snufkin

I literally just scanned in my daddy's passport when they asked me to fill out a form, and there it was, EU fee status.
Your not an EU student. Past 2011 Northern Irish Students cannot use Irish residency to claim EU fee status.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've applied to both Edinburgh and St Andrews. I applied to Edinburgh last year and was unsuccessful, having been predicted A*AA for maths (which last year was a standard AAA-now been boosted I believe to A*AA, not that bitter :wink: ) However I was classed as an EU student, because of my mother's Irish passport. At the time, the idea of paying 2.5 grand as opposed to 9 seemed attractive, however when I didn't get an offer, a part of me thought I was short of the standard required, but another part of me thought that it was because I didn't make the quota for EU students.
I'm British-have a British passport, was born in London and have spent all my life in London. My dad is British, born in England and my mum is Irish, born in Northern Ireland. I know that if you wish universities to reconsider your fee status you must write to them, but I probably qualify via some rule for being an EU student. Does anyone else think this is unfair? I'd happily pay 9 grand since I could end up paying that at 3 other places.

There is no quota - EU students battle for the same places as UK - it would be illegal to disadvantage EU students for university places. You're confusing it with international students.
Reply 26
Original post by MathsAndCoffee
Your not an EU student. Past 2011 Northern Irish Students cannot use Irish residency to claim EU fee status.

I applied in 2015, live in N.I, have Irish and British residency, was classed EU fees by St Andrews. It really just depends on the uni and how they class who is an EU student or not.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
There is no quota - EU students battle for the same places as UK - it would be illegal to disadvantage EU students for university places. You're confusing it with international students.

There is a quota - Scottish universities have strict limits on the number of Scottish/EU entrants they can admit. There's no similar limit to international or RUK entrants as the funding for those students is not subsidised by the Scottish Government.
Just to point people at the full (and very complex) rules:
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Scotland-fee-status

There's a reason fee questionnaires are long - fee status isn't simple.
Reply 29
Original post by PQ
There is a quota - Scottish universities have strict limits on the number of Scottish/EU entrants they can admit. There's no similar limit to international or RUK entrants as the funding for those students is not subsidised by the Scottish Government.

Hence why I'm eager to be classed as RUK
I've applied to both Edinburgh and St Andrews. I applied to Edinburgh last year and was unsuccessful, having been predicted A*AA for maths (which last year was a standard AAA-now been boosted I believe to A*AA, not that bitter :wink: ) However I was classed as an EU student, because of my mother's Irish passport. At the time, the idea of paying 2.5 grand as opposed to 9 seemed attractive, however when I didn't get an offer, a part of me thought I was short of the standard required, but another part of me thought that it was because I didn't make the quota for EU students.
I'm British-have a British passport, was born in London and have spent all my life in London. My dad is British, born in England and my mum is Irish, born in Northern Ireland. I know that if you wish universities to reconsider your fee status you must write to them, but I probably qualify via some rule for being an EU student. Does anyone else think this is unfair? I'd happily pay 9 grand since I could end up paying that at 3 other places.

EU and UK students are counted as the same quota so it wouldn't have affected you application at all. I'm sorry to say, but you just weren't good enough.
Hence why I'm eager to be classed as RUK

Ring them up and explain that you consider yourself to be an RUK student (and will be applying for student support and finance from SFE to cover £9k fees). They should be able to tell if your fee status had an affect on your rejection and if so send you a fee status questionnaire.
Reply 32
Original post by aeroline1999
EU and UK students are counted as the same quota so it wouldn't have affected you application at all. I'm sorry to say, but you just weren't good enough.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69624188&postcount=28

PQ would know. PQ is an expert.
Reply 33
Original post by PQ
Ring them up and explain that you consider yourself to be an RUK student (and will be applying for student support and finance from SFE to cover £9k fees). They should be able to tell if your fee status had an affect on your rejection and if so send you a fee status questionnaire.

Just to clarify, I was rejected last year, but not this year.

So I'm right then? They are classed together. Because EU law says that a country must treat other EU citizens in accordance to how they treat their own. Like in terms of education, healthcare, welfare etc.
Reply 35
Original post by aeroline1999
So I'm right then? They are classed together. Because EU law says that a country must treat other EU citizens in accordance to how they treat their own. Like in terms of education, healthcare, welfare etc.

No, EU and Scottish students are in the same quota due to their low fees in Scottish unis. There are no caps on how many RUK (N.I, Welsh and English) and International students an uni can take because we pay fees of £9k and over.
I just want to know why you're prioritizing slightly easier entrance to uni over paying significantly less in uni fees?
Reply 37
Original post by pairofjeans
I just want to know why you're prioritizing slightly easier entrance to uni over paying significantly less in uni fees?

Because if I go to a English uni it's 9k, so I've kind of signed up for that anyway. I would rather have an easier entry than pay less.
Reply 38
Just rang Edinburgh and St Andrews. Ed told me yes you are EU, SA told me most likely RUK. :s-smilie:
Just rang Edinburgh and St Andrews. Ed told me yes you are EU, SA told me most likely RUK. :s-smilie:

The joys of fee status.

It ultimately comes down to the university concerned to determine your fee status.

I'd definitely recommend contacting them in writing and explaining that you'll be applying for a tuition loan and maintenance loan from Student Finance England assuming that they'll charge you the RUK rate.

Ed may be basing it on their assessment last year - you can always ask them to reassess you fully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending