The Student Room Group

No mates at university

Hi, I am in my second year of university and well I've become really anti social. Before I came to uni I had a group of mates and everything was going good. But since then everyone has moved on. I sort of depended on uni so it could open up new friendships but this hasn't been the case. The people on my course are proper nobs. So I'm not sure what to do and how I can go about meeting new people. I'm not sure if the problem was me staying at home and not moving out so I probably shot myself in the foot doing that.

I have tried contacting the society's to meet more people but the ones I'm interested in are inactive. So I'm really unsure what to do :/
Original post by Scorpion66
Hi, I am in my second year of university and well I've become really anti social. Before I came to uni I had a group of mates and everything was going good. But since then everyone has moved on. I sort of depended on uni so it could open up new friendships but this hasn't been the case. The people on my course are proper nobs. So I'm not sure what to do and how I can go about meeting new people. I'm not sure if the problem was me staying at home and not moving out so I probably shot myself in the foot doing that.

I have tried contacting the society's to meet more people but the ones I'm interested in are inactive. So I'm really unsure what to do :/

Hey I'm so sad to hear that. I actually am staying at home too while at uni but made tons of friends. I think it may depend on the course, as in architecture wer all always together in the studio and lectures and we see the same 160 people on a daily basis. TBH some of the students who live in accommodations are finding it harder to make friends. Why don't you go to the student unions on library and see if you can make any friends there. Also, maybe organise sessions where you work with people from your course. My lecturer is always makin is us do group work but they chose the groups which isn't too bad as we get to know everyone on the course. What are you studying btw. Hope this helped x
Reply 2
I suppose we have different personalities. I'm not a pushy person when it comes to being proactive and can lose motivation very easily. But I can see where you are coming from and appreciate your response. But yeah I've looked at a uni near me who has a bigger range of societies. So I'll see how that goes.
Reply 3
Original post by Amina190
Hey I'm so sad to hear that. I actually am staying at home too while at uni but made tons of friends. I think it may depend on the course, as in architecture wer all always together in the studio and lectures and we see the same 160 people on a daily basis. TBH some of the students who live in accommodations are finding it harder to make friends. Why don't you go to the student unions on library and see if you can make any friends there. Also, maybe organise sessions where you work with people from your course. My lecturer is always makin is us do group work but they chose the groups which isn't too bad as we get to know everyone on the course. What are you studying btw. Hope this helped x

Yeah I study media tech, which is like web design/graphics. Thats amazing that you got so many in a lecture like that, I only have like 20, some don't bother even coming in. I guess I shouldn't of done such a stupid course, wish I did computer science now. I am only half way through the course so there's probably no point stopping now. Thanks for replying! :smile:
Original post by Scorpion66
Yeah I study media tech, which is like web design/graphics. Thats amazing that you got so many in a lecture like that, I only have like 20, some don't bother even coming in. I guess I shouldn't of done such a stupid course, wish I did computer science now. I am only half way through the course so there's probably no point stopping now. Thanks for replying! :smile:

That sounds so cool, don't let a few people make you think your course isn't good. There are lots of ways to make friends just find something else😊. And you welcome x
Op. Same.
I only have 2 friends lol and everyone else that I spoke to is an acquantice. But it's okay. Friends will come eventually but just enjoy your own company tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending