The Student Room Group

Can't decide what to do at Uni!

Right, so I apologise if this is in the wrong section - I had no idea where to put it!

I am currently in Year 12 and we are constantly being encouraged to think about University. I never really was keen on the idea of going but now I am starting to think I'd like to go.

My issue is, I'm completely undecided on what to do. On top of this, I find everything so confusing as to what it means! :frown:

I have always wanted to be a primary school teacher, just because other people in my family have gone down that route and I do really enjoy being around children. However, lately I have realised that the subject I really enjoy is business - all throughout GCSE and now A level I have really found it fun and enjoyable.
That leaves me undecided at what to do at University - do I take the business route or do a degree to become a primary school teacher?
I am looking at Canterbury Christ Church particularly because I don't want to travel far from home for University and I see they do a combined degree of business and early childhood studies - would this give me the option to do either career path?

I am sorry this is long but everything about University baffles me and I'd really appreciate some advice!
Please do not feel forced to make a decision about university. You are allowed to say that you don't feel like applying at your current stage in life.
I doubt any school or 6th form would not encourage their students to think about uni, as that appears to be the only measure that they (the institutions) base their own worth on.
Original post by lozza_X
Right, so I apologise if this is in the wrong section - I had no idea where to put it!

I am currently in Year 12 and we are constantly being encouraged to think about University. I never really was keen on the idea of going but now I am starting to think I'd like to go.

My issue is, I'm completely undecided on what to do. On top of this, I find everything so confusing as to what it means! :frown:

I have always wanted to be a primary school teacher, just because other people in my family have gone down that route and I do really enjoy being around children. However, lately I have realised that the subject I really enjoy is business - all throughout GCSE and now A level I have really found it fun and enjoyable.
That leaves me undecided at what to do at University - do I take the business route or do a degree to become a primary school teacher?
I am looking at Canterbury Christ Church particularly because I don't want to travel far from home for University and I see they do a combined degree of business and early childhood studies - would this give me the option to do either career path?

I am sorry this is long but everything about University baffles me and I'd really appreciate some advice!

I thought that if you wanted to be a primary school teacher you should go through a primary education degree with Qualified Teaching Status (QTS) after graduation rather than an early childhood studies degree. Or even a PGCE after graduation.

Quite honestly, I think that if you enjoy business you should go do a business degree because I think you can do a PGCE after graduation to become QTS even after doing a business degree.

Continue to think about it OP :smile: check combined degree programs if they have qualified teaching status, if they don't then you won't have the option to do primary education after graduation. (I don't know anything about the Canterbury Christ Church course though sorry.)
Reply 3
It's really hard to decide what to do after A levels if you don't have a clear route or passion. I was like you, I had a few ideas of what I'd like to do for a career but they were quite different and required different qualifications. Instead of thinking about the career you want, I think you're best bet is to do a degree that you think you will enjoy the most. Do as much research as you can because there so many different degrees out there
Reply 4
Thank you everyone. Think I'm going to have a talk with some teachers at school because University is such a big thing and looking at everything on the internet is quite daunting :s-smilie:

I thought about doing education studies and business combined at Canterbury christ church Uni, and then doing a PGCE afterwards. I just don't want to dedicate all that time at University just to be a teacher then to find out I don't actually want to be a teacher :frown:
Original post by lozza_X
Thank you everyone. Think I'm going to have a talk with some teachers at school because University is such a big thing and looking at everything on the internet is quite daunting :s-smilie:

I thought about doing education studies and business combined at Canterbury christ church Uni, and then doing a PGCE afterwards. I just don't want to dedicate all that time at University just to be a teacher then to find out I don't actually want to be a teacher :frown:

I'd suggest taking a gap year (or more) and spending some time working in a school as a teaching assistant then - you'll get a much better idea of what teaching involves, have the chance to talk to teachers about their job and training, earn a bit of cash and if you do decide to apply then you'll have a much stronger application.

http://www.plotr.co.uk/ is a good tool to work through your preferences and strengths to come up with some ideas for jobs that would suit you.
Original post by PQ
I'd suggest taking a gap year (or more) and spending some time working in a school as a teaching assistant then - you'll get a much better idea of what teaching involves, have the chance to talk to teachers about their job and training, earn a bit of cash and if you do decide to apply then you'll have a much stronger application.

http://www.plotr.co.uk/ is a good tool to work through your preferences and strengths to come up with some ideas for jobs that would suit you.

I just took a lot at plotr, I love it - what a cool tool, just worked through half of the questions and it was pretty much spot on for me.
Original post by She-Ra
I just took a lot at plotr, I love it - what a cool tool, just worked through half of the questions and it was pretty much spot on for me.

careermatches.PNG
I got a very......diverse.....mix of careers

But it's very interesting in terms of sparking ideas :yes:
Original post by PQ
careermatches.PNG
I got a very......diverse.....mix of careers

But it's very interesting in terms of sparking ideas :yes:

What I love about it is that they are careers that you wouldn't necessarily consider or no of - so there's lots of opportunity to find out more and get a feel for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending